MacBook Pro Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbrain2010, Mar 26, 2011.

1. macbrain2010 macrumors newbie

I own a MacBook Pro (mid 2009). So far I have four repairs on this machine which include LCD, optical drive replacement.

Today I spoken to the Apple that I am now having cracking sound from the machine which is either from speakers or from hard drive. The Apple care staff told me that If I want they can send me a new replacement machine. I said yes as it will save a lot of time for going through frequent repairs.

I need to know

1. Approximately how many days it may take for the replacement to arrive?

2. I have mid 2009 (2.66 GHZ, 320 GB) 15 inch laptop. Do you have any idea which new machine I will get? Will it be same? or the current one ?

3. If it is the current version will it be a base model in 15 inch ? If all old softwares be compatible?

Looking for your reply and comments

2. CW Jones macrumors 6502

If you talked to someone with Apple... and told them you wanted a replacement... Why did you not ask these questions while you had that person? You would say yes to a replacement not knowing anything about it? Not knowing means you could expect a 2009 refurb or a 2011 brand new one....

Sorry if it seems harsh but it just seems to stupid to not ask someone at Apple these questions while you are there. Your now asking on a forum about what Apple will do... we aren't Apple.....

3. macbrain2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

No it is not harsh. You make a valid reply. I actually asked him what I will get in replacement. He said it will be a newer machine than my existing model. Also he told me as today is saturday I will get further details in an email on Monday from apple replacement team. So I just wanted to know if any one have similar experience. What is their guess ? By no way I am ready to accept 2009 refurb. I would rather prefer to request them a refund.

4. CW Jones macrumors 6502

As far as I knew you always get a newer machine. I had a friend need a replacement after several costly repairs, the Apple store made a couple phone calls, took his machine, swapped the HDD and brought him back a new machine in about an hour or so right then and there.

I wouldn't call this typical but this seems to be a "good" Apple store haha

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

Here is my take on this. If you bought the machine new, they will NOT give you a refurbed replacement, it will be new as well as being the current early 11' model.

Was your MBP a base model or higher model (sorry I am not familiar with the early unibodies). For example, I had a 2.5 GHZ Penryn Early 08'. I opted for the 2,5GHZ w/512 MB 8600GT and a Matte Screen. The only other option I didn;t opt for was the 2.6GHZ processor. When Apple replaced mine on 2/24 with the new ones, I got the second to highest model (well the 2.3GHZ is a BTO I believe), which is the Quad 2.2 i7. I just got back from Apple, as they replaced my "crappy" glossy screen for the hi-res Matte, as that is what I had and they agreed to swap me screens!

If you bought a refurb, you may get a refurb or maybe a new one.

6. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

7. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Whatever you get it will better then your old MBP (fingers crossed).

8. bwrairen macrumors 6502

I have received replacements from Apple 3 times, and all 3 times they have been new machines, not refurbs. The last time I took in a 2006 iMac that had the vertical lines issue that Apple extended the warranty on. They damaged the machine while repairing it and gave me a brand spanking new 21" i3!

I am not sure if this is policy or I have just been lucky. Hope you get a new one.

9. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

crazy I had the same macbook as you
    they replaced
    screen
    super drive
    HD
    battery
    new charger

no replacement offered at all.
    total time with out machine was around month half

10. themac23 macrumors regular

I purchased a Macbook Pro Mid-2009 2.8ghz edition on ebay that still had a little over 2 years of Applecare a few months back. After a month or two my screen started to flicker and go out. I call Apple and they told me to send it in for repair. They replaced the logic board and sent it back to me. A day later I still had the issue. I called them and told them it still wasn't fixed. They told me to send it in again which I did. After a few days they called me and stated they couldn't duplicate the issue so they were going to send it back to me unrepaired. I asked for a senior advisor because I didn't want to go through this process 100 times and never get a resolution. The senior advisor offered to give me a 2.0ghz 2011 model. I tried to get him to give me the 2.2 version with the better graphics card seeing as the laptop I had was the top of the line for 2009 with more graphics memory, but he wouldn't do it.

When the new 2.0ghz 2011 laptop arrived, I didn't open it. I called Apple and told them that the new laptop doesn't fully meet what I have in the graphics department. After a little convincing, the rep offered to trade the computer they just sent me for the 2.2 2011 laptop that has the better graphics card.

The point: you will most likely get a 2011 version (who knows which one) so a little convincing on your part will get you the better version if you can make a good arguement. They state the policy is "a like for like" trade.

I paid $1,200 for the mid-2009 laptop on ebay to begin with so now I have the newest 2.2 2011 version for $1,200. Can you beat that? Not to mention, they transferred the difference of the warranty over which is almost a full 2 years.

11. sydenham macrumors regular

Congratulations. Sounds like you pulled off a good scam. Of course we only have your word that the computer wasn't really repaired. I can imagine it was and that Apple really couldn't duplicate the problem. Disgraceful.

12. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Being a student makes a big difference too. I know the one I go to is right by the college and they offer all sorts of special little deals sometimes. A friend and I went in there and we were able to get him the replacement that day basically just saying how we were both Graphic Design students and our projects were due in about a week and without the laptop he would be SOL for the project, he made calls and made it happen in under an hour.

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I would ask Apple all of those questions. Anything we tell you may be right, or may be wrong.

14. themac23 macrumors regular

Are you kidding me? What a douche. It's all of the sudden a scam because I made out well on a defective unit? There is another guy in this post that has had three replacements. I have one and I am all of the sudden a scammer? Sure buddy. It sounds more like you are bitter because I got the deal of a lifetime and you are still saving your pennies.

"Of course we only have your word that the computer wasn't really repaired."

Yep. Why in the f*&^ would I care if you believe my story or not?

15. sydenham, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

sydenham macrumors regular

Its not so hard to assume Apple checked the computer before they sent it to you, and again checked it when you sent it back. There is a big difference in defective and abused. This is even better. It shows your mentality.

I purchased my first iMac about two months ago. It was the top of the line 2.93ghz version. The first one I received had scratches on it so I sent it back for a replacement. The second one I received had the yellow tint issue on the screen so I sent it back. After realizing that a new iMac was going to be released soon I just told the rep I wanted a refund. He then stated that if I want to buy the new iMac when it releases just contact him and he will give me a $200 credit for all the hassle.

I see your Imac had an imaginary yellow screen problem so you just happened to return that as well and then later decided you would hold out for a newer model. Scammy scammy. You obviously have no shame. And you obviously had to save your pennies to buy a two year old used computer to begin with. What a clown.

16. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I am a med student and he noticed my papers on desktop ect.. so that did not hold much grounds.

17. themac23 macrumors regular

And I suppose hit the lottery to buy the iMac you speak of. Get your facts straight. I returned my iMac twice within a 1 month period and even told my rep that after the second time I was fed up and wanted to just hold out for the new one that is soon to be released. They even offered to give me a $200 credit if I do buy the new one. Where is the scam in that? I told the truth and that was fine with them. They recognized they sent me two different iMac with issues and wanted to help.

You are bitter. Oh so bitter. Go back and read all of your posts on this forum. Every one of your posts is negative and tells people they are wrong for returning items that have flaws. I am a scammer because I got a new computer as a replacement. That makes alot of sense.

18. sydenham, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

sydenham macrumors regular

They offered to give you $200 credit because they obviously wanted you out of their store and out of their life. Sound about right? Your not a scammer because you got a replacement. Your a scammer because you bought a used machine, and had it repaired and then sent back to Apple and they couldn't find a fault with the machine. Sounds very questionable to me. I would tend to believe the repair guys then some clown bragging about how many machines he has returned... "I told my rep I was fed up" woooooo I bet he was real concerned.

19. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Ok, measurements are in. You both have little ones. They only thing they're effective at is pissing on the OP's thread.

20. sydenham macrumors regular

:p

21. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

This thread is rather lame now why do people argue over the webzzzz

[​IMG]

22. themac23 macrumors regular

First of all, I wasn't even in the store so they had no reason to get rid of me. Second, the rep offered a $200 credit on the new iMac just as a goodwill gesture to keep me as a customer. I didn't ask for anything. I wasn't asking for anything. All I wanted was my refund which I was clearly entitled too. But I am a scammer, huh? What a douche.

Go back and edit your previous comment for the fifth time now. Maybe you will then realize you are doing nothing but accusing someone of doing something you have no proof of. While I sit here with my brand new MBP, and soon to be new iMac....you keep saving your pennies and being mad at the world. Your life will end before you know it. Be happy at least knowing that, seeing as your life must suck for you to be so bitter.

23. sydenham macrumors regular

He offered you $200 to keep you as a customer and you went out and bought the laptop from someone else? Lame. Scammy scammy.

24. lauph macrumors regular

You would have been offered the 17 inch if you mentioned the expresscard slot that the penryn MBP had, and only the 17inch now retains.

25. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Because sydenham pulls off the same **** with anyone who has had to have their computer repaired after a few years of the computer being used. For some reason, he's under the delusion that since the computer was used for X amount of years, the part didn't fail on its own and it must be the result of some sort of user abuse.

He's done it twice before, and after I called him out on it, he dug up a thread I posted a few weeks back about my logic board failing and told me I should stop swatting flies with my MBP.