MacBook Pro Reportedly Won't See Any Major Upgrades in 2018

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
No updates. Here's a few that spring to mind, in case you've forgotten, Apple.

•Make the Gimmick-bar optional.
•32+GB Ram options across the Pro range.
•nVidia GPUs for those who want/need to use CUDA.
•Option to choose between old and new keyboard design.
•Re-introduction of the Anti-glare option.
•Re-introduction of the 17" model.
•Non soldered, user accessible Ram & SSD.
•Re-introduction of the illuminated Apple logo on the back of the display.

(yeah I know... there's about 0.0000000000001% change of any of this materialising).
This is the best...everyone is asking for the next major update to roll stuff back to 2015...(ok not exactly....most would like at least 1 Thunderbolt 3 port).

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Ploki

macrumors 68040
Jan 21, 2008
A keyboard that doesn't feel like crap and have a **** layout, no useless Touchbar on the higher end models and a trackpad that isn't so huge it constantly mistakes my palms for fingers.

Understandable that they don't want to improve it this year since it's not that old a design.
TBH i used one and the only thing i want is 2 additional cores and 16GB of additional RAM.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I suspect we probably won't see refreshes until June 2018 at the earliest or fall 2018 at the latest. If this turns out to be the case, I'm just going to get the Early 2015 model for my brother. With all the reports of terrible keyboard on the 2016/2017, not gonna acquire that headache.

NBAasDOGG

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
There are no chips available for the 13” MacBook Pros. There is no way Apple is going to use Iris 620 in Pro machine. That’s a downgrade from the Iris 640 and 650 (TB 13” model).

As far as I know, Intel is not releasing any quad core chips with Iris 640 and higher.

Jimios

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2015
The report actually makes sense. Intel doesn't seem likely to release an 8th gen U-series 15W or 28W CPU suitable for the 13" MBP.
And there don't seem to be any new H-series CPUs for the 15" either.

The 8th gen Intel situation is a mess currently, anyway. My bet is Apple will wait for real 9th gen (Ice Lake).

Having said that, a considerable price cut for 2018 would be a very welcome "upgrade".

StrangeNoises

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
At least update the CPU.

Also, pass cost savings onto the customer!
Both needed, yeah.

With regret, I expect my laptop upgrade this year will be to a Dell XPS 13 9370 (ie: with 8th gen cpu). Even if there's a cpu refresh of this line in time (ie: before the end of this financial year) it's unlikely to resolve the affordability issues. And Ubuntu/Gnome is ... good enough now. (So too probably is Windows 10 but I can't bring myself to like it.)

Scubaman

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
[doublepost=1516015801][/doublepost]MacBook Pro users seem to be able to look forward to one of two changes each year. We tell them the MacBook Pro is thin enough and we'd like new and better features, to which some years they respond with "No" and some years they respond with, "We've heard you, so we've made it thinner and removed fewer useful features than we usually do!" At this point, I'd be happy if they reintroduced the MacBook Pro lineup from a few years ago, replacing one of the USB ports with USB-C, knocked $300 off the price, and declared, "We think you'll find them to be the best we ever made."
Exactly! That’s why I’ve just picked up a refurbished MBP 12,1 (i5 1TB SSD 16GB Memory £1700!!!!). In my view the last of the sensible MBP’s from 2015. It has USB, HDMI, SD Slot, Thunderbolt ports, SSD disk that can be updated (albeit expensively). What more to want?????

Reactions: PLondon

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Awesome. Crap keyboards and useless touch bars for all!

I'm so glad I just bought that used 2012 15" MacBook Pro as a stopover computer. We got my wife a max'd out 13" MBP, and it has been a disaster. Her spacebar on the left doesn't fully press, and about in 1 in 200 presses triggers two spaces instead of one. She has a similar issue with her #3 key. We have gotten it repaired by Apple for free once, as it's still under warranty, but we're planning on keeping it for a while, and the problem has returned. Getting AppleCare Plus on this seems to be a pre-req for an enjoyable experience, as it's basically a certainty that we'll have to get the keyboard fixed once every five months or so.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
It is indeed possible the 2018 Mac Pro development is making this years updates minor. I just don't think Apple would really go through 2018 with 2017 products. Didn't benchmarks from Cupertino recently show up with a MacBook Pro and 16 GBs of DDR4 RAM?

tridley68

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2014
Well i guess i wont be updating my Mac Book Pro this year thanks Apple you save me some cash.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Cue the apologists coming to tell us how Apple doesn't need to update them when it needs to ditch the failed touchbar toy experiment and start over.

Perhaps next time Apple could use a keyboard that can stand actual work being done on the machine, and include ports people can use by simply plugging in what they already own, and a trackpad that doesn't screw up work in the middle by not rejecting wrist input because the trackpad is too damn big, and maybe even a 99.5 watt-hour battery. And maybe even - oh, never mind.

The touchbar generation is driving me away, which is shocking to me as someone who has used Apple since 1980.

And many people dread what the next Mac Pro will bring. It is Apple's last chance to begin to recover any credibility among long-time users who need functionality, not more lipstick on the pig that is the MP 6,1.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Quickly becoming the de-facto enterprise computer standard. That's what unparalleled security and incredibly cheaper maintenance costs buy you.

Mac sales can double in a very short time.
They could also halve in a very short time.

You don't have any idea what "security" is if you believe "unparelled security" is provided by current Apple computers and OSs.

Ronlap

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
Apple should wait until the new processors are out which don't have the same security defects as the current ones. Then they should design new MacBooks as far away from Johnny Ives as possible, putting in multiple USB-3 and USB-C ports, along with an SD card reader, HDMI connector, and a MagSafe "trip guard" in the charging cable.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I'd love to have our people on Apple notebooks, but they'd have to refocus the MBP back to being straightforward, powerful, efficient hardware first.

17" hi res display
Current/Coffee Lake chipset
32gb Ram
USB3 ports
Headphone/Mic jack
A useful keyboard
A trackpad that fits between the palms
Squeeze it all into a tapered case like the old MacBook Air line with some good cooling capacity.
Wired display sharing to an iPad Pro fully integrated into the OS

That's all it would take to make the nicest notebook on the market.

No bloody magic strip
No bloody chintzy keypad
No bloody spastic trackpad
And no bloody underpowered old components priced to the moon.

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
I think most people knew we wouldn’t see major updates as the last big update was the design change in 2016, this year I think we will see a spec update and that’s it. I don’t know what else people are expecting.

The keyboard is something you either like or don’t and the same with the Touchbar. Maybe there will be a price drop as well but I doubt it will be anything major.

BittenApple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Quickly becoming the de-facto enterprise computer standard. That's what unparalleled security and incredibly cheaper maintenance costs buy you.

Mac sales can double in a very short time.
lol like getting root access from the system preferences page ?? hahahahaha

Reactions: bvz and mrzz