Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TarkinDale

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Australia
“It is significant that Amazon has purchased the aircraft, as opposed to leasing carriers, as it should lead to lower overall lifetime costs, greater control over the speed, reliability and quality of service, and accelerate its aim of cementing the brand as a genuine player in the competitive world of air freight,” Logistics Manager reporter Michelle Mooney told BBC.
The scale of shipping needed is vastly different. Apple’s is much smaller and much lumpier. Having a fleet doing little most of the time would be terribly inefficient.

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
So my attempt at pick up yesterday was a fail. Apparently UPS ships all packages from the airport 2 1/2 hrs North to sort them, then to the local hubs. Oh well.

My MBP will be in safe hands tomorrow and in my hands on Friday.

mnaser

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2021
Montreal, QC
@mnaser did you get export scan in Mirabel? I was quite confused about it. I also noticed my package arrived at Lachine and now has departed from facility (mirabel airport) at 3:47 pm. Do you also see these?

I'm not sure if these are mix up on their end or they are screwing things up and sending it back to China...
I did! My package is in Lachine right now as well. UPS delivers out of Lachine in Montreal.

The export scan means that it has cleared customs (I.e. it has been exported to Canada officially)

43CBE9C4-591E-4BD3-B767-8EDCB8BA4408.png

Reactions: darinzook

tortugonal

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2021
Boston
My MBP is still in Louisville KY. Last scan was import scan there late Friday night.

Apple says delivers Nov 3–5 (Nov 4 on main Apple store page; wider range of dates if viewing details). UPS says delivers Nov 2. I believe Nov 2. I don’t see any UPS flights leaving later today or tonight, so it looks like Monday is next shot for flight. Either that, or it will move ground.

Not impressed with this performance by UPS, but Apple never promised it earlier than Nov 3–5 since I ordered it, so the only angst comes from heightened expectations since it shipped early. Strange, though, that it traveled right along with others where UPS was able to make the Friday night flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindros2

TonyTech

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
The scale of shipping needed is vastly different. Apple’s is much smaller and much lumpier. Having a fleet doing little most of the time would be terribly inefficient.
I understand that, but the idea is not that crazy when we talk about trillion-dollar companies, with a lot of cash. Who would have thought, 22 years ago, that Apple will have a global chain of owned and operated retail stores, and compete against their authorized retailers; or make their own processors to compete against Intel, who is the gold standard.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
My MPB is still in Louisville KY. Last scan was import scan there late Friday night.

Apple says delivers Nov 3–5 (Nov 4 on main Apple store page; wider range of dates if viewing details). UPS says delivers Nov 2. I believe Nov 2. I don’t see any UPS flights leaving later today or tonight, so it looks like Monday is next shot for flight. Either that, or it will move ground.

Not impressed with this performance by UPS, but Apple never promised it earlier than Nov 3–5 since I ordered it, so the only angst comes from heightened expectations since it shipped early. Strange, though, that it traveled right along with others where UPS was able to make the Friday night flight.
We have the same exact experience.
My only thought it that our orders were "later" than others, who have packages now at their destination.
This whole thing is a sh-t show.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
I understand that, but the idea is not that crazy when we talk about trillion-dollar companies, with a lot of cash. Who would have thought, 22 years ago, that Apple will have a global chain of owned and operated retail stores, and compete against their authorized retailers; or make their own processors to compete against Intel, who is the gold standard.
Emissions and carbon offset will make this (having any type of aircraft) highly unlikely for Apple.
Not to mention social justice and vaccinations, in which the whole travel industry is in a mutiny right now.

ThatsNiceGuy

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2021
While I’m disappointed that UPS might not deliver the MacBook on Monday for me (still on ‘import scan’ in KY here), apple still says nov 4th so I guess ups will still be ‘early’ if they deliver on Tuesday.

Reactions: lindros2

powellb

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
My MBP is still in Louisville KY. Last scan was import scan there late Friday night.

Congrats on an import scan. Mine is due for delivery on Nov. 3; however, on Oct 28, it "departed" Shanghai (UPS reports local times so they are a day ahead of me) and hasn't been seen since...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 12.00.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 12.00.50 PM.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 72

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
DHL is, in may experience, the slowest shipper in the world. I got a package from the Ukraine using regular mail, faster than it took DHL to ship one from New York to Maine.

tortugonal

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2021
Boston
UPS screwed mine up - routed to wrong city
I pine for the days when Apple only used FedEx. I know FedEx isn’t perfect, and probably isn’t as good as it used to be. But years ago, my scans would show China direct to Memphis and then local. My UPS scan now shows China to Incheon, Anchorage, Lexington, Syracuse, Manchester NH, and then local hub. So many more points of failure!

Last edited:

jdwoodmed

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Anyone else still waiting for their MBP to scan as anywhere other than Shanghai? Mine shipped on 10/27, was last scanned in Shanghai on 10/28 as “shipment en route”… Quite an expensive package to be losing…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.