Macbook Pro to be left without a re-design?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdaco6, Aug 12, 2008.

1. jdaco6 macrumors regular

With all the Rumors and Pictures of the 'New' Macbook floating about the net there seem to be very few such images of the redesigned Macbook Pro, suggesting minor changes? or no changes at all?

What do you guys think?

Pictures from the Macbook Forum thread 'Leaked Macbooks?' from My Alias!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Or, maybe they leak specific things in order to keep our attention off of others.

Or, maybe the MBP isn't getting a refresh. How are we supposed to know? :)

3. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

New Macbook pro with a faster CPU and a GPU that wont explode: $3000

A new MacBook Air that can be used as a sword: Priceless :p

4. kabunaru Guest

I suspect that if anything, the new MacBook Pro will have a black keyboard, user-replaceable hard drive and magnetic latch.

5. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't hold your breath for a MBP refresh in September...I'd expect it in the new year with the Nehalems. Could be wrong, but I have a feeling that might happen.

Looks like new MBs in September though.

6. Shot22 macrumors regular

Three reasons why the MacBook Pro will have a re-design:

1) We saw those pictures of the MacBook Pro casing a month or two ago. They were later "confirmed" by AppleInsider to be part of the new 15" MBP.
    2) In their letter to retailers, Apple said that the current-generation MacBooks and MBPs were both going to be in short supply (but not the MacBook Airs).
    3) The MBP is due for a re-design.

7. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not saying the Macbook Pro does not need a re-design, I am suggesting however that it may not happen with the Macbook one. Although having said that I hope it does as I have just sold my Macbook Pro in the hope of a new one! In regards to the memo well they need to change the innards anyway so it could just be talking about that?

Jdaco6

8. lhotka macrumors regular

I think a that there's a lot of lazy folks out there that lump the MB and MBP together when they refer to MacBooks (like the analyst who's on the front page right now).

I expect at least a speed bump with new supporting chips, an update to a new video chip, and a bigger HD. Maybe a new, higher res screen and eSata ports.

More doubtful are a full case redesign, and I think that blue-ray is a very long shot this go-around.

On the other hand - the longer the delay since the Montivena release, the more likely a more significant refresh.

The best target date I've heard is Sept 16th:

1) The Tuesday right after the Back to school promotion ends.
    2) Still in Q3 (which matches the information on the finance call)
    3) Before the Christmas buying season starts
    4) After the 'stock up on product stock' time expires
    5) About the time that 10.5.5 will be ready for prime time.
    6) Rumors of an Apple event in September
    7) Because we're all impatient whiners and will flood the forum with postings if we don't get it by then :)

Seriously, I plan to upgrade my late 2006 MBP whenever the next refresh (whatever level) is released - as long as they fix the yellow screen/banding issues. I need that 4th GB of RAM, but not enough that I'm buying the current release.

9. Yixian macrumors 65816

Great, so the only aesthetic difference between the MBA, MB and MBP will be.. thickness..

*clap* *clap*

10. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

All the mockups and "leaked photos" makes me a bit sceptic. I think I would prefer that the MBP design stays as it is :)

11. grubworth macrumors member

I do really like the current design of the pro and think a black keyboard would be a sufficient update to the design, maybe a reduction in thickness and weight too.

If it's a clamshell type which the macbooks may get, forget it I'll get a Pro that is currently out now :).

12. Yixian macrumors 65816

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?! The MBP is already TOO thin, sacrificing performance to be 1" thick, if you want an ultra portable GET A GOD DAMN MACBOOK AIR!11!11!!!!

13. grubworth macrumors member

calm down, I was talking if THATS what they do... the current MBP are perfect for me... but I have time to wait to see what comes out. The design as it is, is perfect, I was just saying what they could do to the current design. even though its pretty much perfect already.

14. iMacmatician macrumors 601

4) AppleInsider has rumored a redesign since April of this year for Q3 2008.

Out of those the case redesign is actually the most likely, given current rumors.

And keyboard, and specs, and display border, and ports, and display…

15. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

16. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

My mockup. I feel the nicest looking images in this thread thus far are the third fourth and fifth images. I think using the MacBook Air styled display case (top part) with a slightly more curved bottom case with straight sides looks very classy.

Attached Files:

17. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

^^ sweet. Definatly the direction they are probably going. The single form style and rounded like the air. I'm sure they will get all there products in line for similar styling toward the air.

18. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

I dunno, round is not really my thing. I really hope they keep a similar style as the current MBP.

19. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

20. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Ugh, i do hope that in case of a redesign, Apple keeps the current MBP keyboard. I love that keyboard, it is extremely easy to type on. I can simply glide my fingers all over the keyboard and gently tap keys to press them. I cannot do that with the MB-like chicklet keyboard because of the gaps between the keys.

21. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I do not expect Apple to launch the MacBook and MacBook Pro together.

More likely the MacBook will come first, followed 30-60 days later by the MacBook Pro.

22. jgvl79 macrumors newbie

jgvl79

I dunno either regarding that round shape mock... current design is flawless...

Tuesday September 16... as in 2003 with the update of all three PowerBook models.

23. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

Gorgeous. I'd buy that in a second.

24. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

With as hot as the current stock of macbook Pro's run, you all must be dreaming if you think it would be thinner. My macbook pro (listed in signature), when surfing, idles at 60C. And that is with the screen down to 70% brightness.

I'm not saying apple isn't capable of engineering miracles, but this is getting dangerously absurd.

Oh, and if they do go ahead and use the "chiclit" black keyboard, it would allow them to make the vents on either side the laptop bigger, hopefully letting them provide bigger fans, and thus a cooler overall machine.

I just don't see how they can get any thinner. The DVD and HDD barely fit the height clearance. Unless you honestly want to have the 160GB 4200RPM (ouch) HDD from the iPod classic as your biggest choice. However. That said, the new images popping up suggest cooling through the sides, and user-assessable HDD and RAM in the back. This design would let them taper the front end of the machine (ala the MacBook Air) and perhaps make the machine's front end thinner, but them you have the problem of where to put the DVD drive with the side-vented cooling system. perhaps that patent filed a couple years back showing a DVD within the screen might work, but that is just to abstract for me. :confused:

Leave it to Ives to find a way to do all this.

25. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I think the new MBP will be housed in a pineapple, and the new MBs will be in a clam shell.