Macbook Pro unibody, edges' paint is wiped out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akcasoy, May 31, 2010.

1. akcasoy macrumors member

Hi,

My macbook pro unibody 15' is 5 months old and the edge where my rigth wrist stands on, the paint there is wiped out slowly.. now i am thinking is it normal? if i send them back can they change it or what?

Is there anybody else having problems with the unibody paint?

Regards,

2. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Macbook Pro Unibody's are machined from a solid slab of aluminium and there is absolutely NO paint what so ever on the computer.

3. akcasoy thread starter macrumors member

then aluminum is worn out.. when i touch i can feel the roughness through inside. You think this is normal? Or should i send this back to service?
    This is the image
    [​IMG]

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is 100% incorrect. This is what freshly machined aluminum looks like:

[​IMG]

It's not normal, but I doubt you'd get Apple to replace or fix the top case for you since it could easily be construed as user damage.

5. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

IMO, that seems to be more of a scratch... are you wearing any jewelry/watch while using your MBP that might've done that? or perhaps the case you store it in that has a rough inside that've might caused that? or perhaps you have very dry skin :D

6. akcasoy thread starter macrumors member

definitely my case is very soft.. is impossible that it could damage so.
    I also do not use any watch or sth.
    just my skin made that.. first months were few, lately it is getting more and more.
    what do u suggest me to do guys? :confused:

you can think like this.. my right hand is almost always there.. on that part where those black things are.
    left hand is not used as much as right one, so on the left side there is very few.
    and while using the trackpad my thumb is near the trackpad (there is also a few black parts)

7. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

you could always try to repaint it? or i you ever wanted to shave down the edges, this would be a win win situation. but besides that i see nothing else you could do. +1 for opening my eyes to this! i never thought it would happen. i usually slide my fingers around the edges a lot just to feel that sharp edge ;) i'll be stopping that now though :rolleyes:

8. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

there's only one logical solution...you have to rip all your skin off

9. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QvbKSg1EqQ video there is no mention of paint the way they get the end finnish is they probably bead blast the freshly machined aluminium although there is no mention of that in this video.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would get a moshi wrist guard for one and while that won't cover that area, it may help you. This looks like skin oils meeting the aluminum, not sure Apple would repair/replace.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you skip to 2:51 in the video with the worker turning the unibody, does yours have a metallic reflection like that? No, because it's powder coated. Also if you rewind to 1:30 you see what a solid block of aluminum looks like. Does your Macbook have striations running along the upper surface? Didn't think so either. At 2:31 in the video you see the raw aluminum which looks virtually the same as the raw aluminum in the first image I linked to, further disproving your sad attempt at discussing something you don't know anything about. If you're going to be snarky, at least be correct.

12. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I have updated my post as I noticed that the inside is also the same texture as the outside. do you have a way prove to me the ALUMINIUM is powder coated.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well it's not anodized, otherwise it wouldn't chip like in the OP's picture.

14. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Maybe its not chipped and he dropped something on it and its dented. All I know is its not powder coated, anyway enjoy the rest of your memorial day.

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...because you don't know what powder coating (or anodizing) actually means? :rolleyes:

16. Xombie11 macrumors regular

17. Mark.W macrumors member

According to Apple's website, Macbook Air has anodized finish:

I couldn't find anything specific to the Macbook Pro, but its finish seems identical to that of the Air. It's not uncommon for anodizing to chip off around the edges - I've seen this happen with firearms that have aluminum frames/receivers.

18. hajime macrumors 68030

My 2007 SR MBP had something like that. I think the problem is due to sweat. Can somebody confirm that the new MBP is also susceptible to such problem?

19. Mark.W macrumors member

If it was due to sweat, how could the damage be limited to the edge of the case? Think about it. It's pretty obvious that the edge was rubbed against a hard surface (a sleeve zipper, perhaps?)

20. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Haha ok I was born at night but not last night buddy.

21. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I concur Mark...it appears to me that something with a hard surface caused those indentations...

22. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I was just gonna post a link to this page to end the argument so thank you.

23. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

A quick google search proves that its actually quite common for it to chip.