MacBook Pro Users Express Concerns About Limited Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 3, 2016.

1. aevan macrumors 65816

aevan

I always get 20-30W discharging. I thought it was normal - can you verify that even after some time, you're still getting this lower discharge? And is this on a 15"?

2. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

It's a 15inch. It jumps up to 8-9 but keeps under 10.

3. aevan macrumors 65816

aevan

And you say that reinstalling Sierra from recovery kept everything? Even apps?

4. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

I did use super duper to make up a back up first just in case.. but everything seems as I left it. Files and Apps ect.

5. aevan macrumors 65816

aevan

I might try it, thanks.

6. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

7. aevan macrumors 65816

aevan

I was just about to do it, but first I tried a SMC reset. After the SMC reset, normal usage of safari + Messages, and it's around 8-12W usage. Maybe it wasn't the reinstall, but a side effect.

8. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

Could be. I'd tried that. but had no idea if I did it right as there's no obvious feedback? In any case good news :)

9. aevan macrumors 65816

aevan

Yes, coconutBattery now reports 7-12W as I'm writing this (it varies), my screen is around 75% brightness, and surfing the web it jumps to around 12W when I load the page, and comes down to 8, when I'm just tryping here.

If I recall correctly, it used to be around 30 Watts before, even with nothing running. Currently I have Safari, Fantastical, and several background processes running in the background.

Also, my estimate (in Activity Monitor) now shows 8:29 instead of 2-3 hours like before :D It's a bit early to tell, but seems promising. I'll keep an eye on it and report if something changes.

BTW, activating Photoshop and using it makes this jump to 25W, but it drops down when I turn it off.

Also, yes, there is no obvious feedback when you do a SMC reset. I just kept the ctrl, option, shif + power button pressed for 10 seconds.

10. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

Excellent! Sounds the same as my results. Before watching 30mins of an iTunes movie dropped my battery to 94%. Now after 30mins it still says 100%.

11. Nanis macrumors newbie

Spotlight is the culprit, it doesn't show up in energy activity monitor which is strange, also you can't kill it but you can stop indexing by adding all the hard disk in privacy of spotlight to the exclusion list. I stopped using coconut because its very slow to reflect the actual energy consumption, instead, there is a hidden gem in Istat menus called total system consumption which updates almost instantly, indexing alone consumes up to 10 extra watts, the good news is that it will ultimately finishes.

12. AntiBug macrumors newbie

AntiBug

--- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2017 ---
    BATTERY ISSUE SOLVED!

I just received the new MacBook Pro 2016 with Radeon 460 Pro, cpu at 2,9 Mhz, 1TB SSD.
    After testing it for about 10 minutes it became strangely warm and sluggish... battery started to drain...
    After a 3 hours of testing I finally found the reason for it thanks to the Activity Monitor. It showed that the kernel_task process was operating between 120 to 250 CPU load !! That situation occured only after I switched on Wifi and connected to one of my two routers. Once I did that it took the laptop about a minute to attain those high cpu loads.

I read in a forum that some rare old routers could cause problems in the MacBook Pro, so I connected to my second more modern router. And voila ! The Kernel_task process now hovers between 2.8% to 5% cpu load. From a 91% battery charge it says I have about 9:10 hours left.

All works fine here, no battery problem whats so ever.

The issues some have are NOT batterie related, its evidently a software issue that I easily managed to eradicate.

All the best,

AntiBug

13. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

Do you happen to have a link to that forum post?

14. CTash123 macrumors newbie

CTash123

The battery life of my iPhone 6s was terrible and it was an issue Apple wouldn't acknowledge for many months. Finally, they confirmed what many owners knew and have offered to replace the batteries. I wonder if there are issues with some of the new MacBook Pro computers since some have such poor battery life. My computer is 2 months old and has a battery life of 3 hours.

15. Roller macrumors 68020

It's possible that some of the new MacBook Pros have faulty batteries, but I don't think that's the only explanation for widely variable runtime that people are reporting. Three hours seems very low unless you're doing a lot of heavy lifting with your computer (gaming, video rendering, and the like). I'm getting around 9 hours on my 13" TB running the mix of apps that I usually do.

16. CTash123 macrumors newbie

CTash123

While I agree there may be other reasons; I do not know what they may be. I have updated my software which may make a difference - but I do feel that Apple has not been as forthcoming with these situations as they were several years ago - and this is a problem for me - give the fact that their honest and helpful customer service is one of the main reasons for my loyalty to the brand.

17. Roller macrumors 68020

If you're only getting three hours with a light/moderate workload, there clearly is something wrong. Aside from problems with your battery, there may be issues with macOS and/or firmware. Have you brought this to Apple's attention, if only to get on the record?

Though it may seem otherwise, I don't think that Apple has ever been terribly forthcoming in situations like this. I suspect that Apple will eventually have something to say about variable battery life for the new MBPs, in part because Consumer Reports' failure to recommend them garnered considerable publicity.

18. MRPB_patrick macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I've registered for this forum because I've come across some information that will be of use to those of you having trouble with battery life.

After digging for quite a while, I realized that Chrome and Adobe Acrobat reader, among other apps, force use of the discrete GPU (even if these apps are idle in the background), thereby greatly reducing battery life. As soon as those apps are shutdown, the system defaults to the Intel GPU and battery life goes way up. In my case, it meant a difference between about 5 to 6 hours on the Radeon GPU vs. about 11 hours on the Intel GPU.

It turns out this is not a new problem and so I was surprised to find little discussion of it so far. It is one of the reasons the gfxCardStatus project was created:

https://gfx.io

Now, gfxCardStatus does not explicitly support the most recent versions of Mac OS nor the most recent generation of MacBook Pros, but it has been reasonably well behaved for me so far.

To check this out for yourself, download either istat menus 5 (you have a couple of weeks of fully functional trial, besides which it is a very good buy) or install gfxCardStatus and you'll be able to monitor the changeover between integrated and discrete GPUs. For instance, leave gfxCardStatus on "Dynamic Switching" and you'll see it go from "i" to "d" when you launch Chrome. If, on the other hand, you launch Chrome with this switch:

open '/Applications/Google Chrome.app' --args --force_integrated_gpu

you'll see that it stays on integrated graphics with no special hit to your battery life.

Be forcing my system to stay on the Intel GPU with gfxCardStatus, I average above 10 hours of battery life while doing mostly browsing, text editing, and terminal work. I hope this helps spread the word. Enjoy.

Patrick

19. GSDLVR123, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017

GSDLVR123 macrumors member

GSDLVR123

I know very little about computers...Last Christmas (2015) I bought my oldest daughter a (2015) rMBP 13" (upgraded to the I7, 256 storage and 16GB) - she loves it. This Christmas I purchased (for my 2 younger kids) two touch bar 13" MBP laptops (also upgraded to 16GB, but stuck with the standard I5). I have read the battery issues and thus am concerned. I've run a few tests and consistently the new models run about 15% less than my oldest daughter's machine (when all 3 are on 100% brightness and 2 bars of sound). It is not really an issue, because the only time they use the machines without being able to plug in is on a car trip - and they can easily get through 3 (2hour) movies - again all 3 on 100% brightness. I don't really know if this is good or bad but 6 hours plus on full bright watching Netflix is acceptable to me and not actually something we will do often. The 1 glaring disparity was when they played the game Minecraft (I rarely allow my kids to play games - couple of hours a week)...the new tb models got 99 and 100 minutes while the 2015 machine got 220 minutes. What do you think? I have contacted Apple and they ran diagnostics and say nothing is wrong.

20. capiman13 macrumors newbie

Hello, I do not want to be rude but most likely you are throwing your money, your kids probably do not need 16GB of RAM.

Apple has committed the huge mistake to cut 1/3 of the batteries with this new release with the hope to balance it with the better performance of the "new" processors and even more software optimisations. However, it has slapped in their face and the smartest customers are complaining. It is a pity because this new release is lovable but yeah, the battery is an enormous drawback.

Of course Apple will try to hide the problem because it is not a manufacturing problem it is a design problem and if they recognise the problem they will be obliged to replace the whole product.

My advice is... if you kids just watch movies, get them a macbook not a macbook pro...

21. GSDLVR123, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017

GSDLVR123 macrumors member

GSDLVR123

No fear about being 'rude'...my kids rarely watch movies (or play games), as I stated but rather this was the easiest way I knew to compare the 2 new touch bar models vs my daughter's 2015 MBP. I will say since this post they are now using the laptops for their normal school routine, their battery is not an issue. The difference in battery time from the 2015 model remains about 15-20% less but again not really an issue. The kids all use the computers for school/research, and have been pleased so far. I was actually curious to hear the experiences of other folks that actually own this product. Have a good day.

22. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I read somewhere that adobe creative cloud apparently forces use of the dedicated graphics card as well. Could be another reason for the shorter battery life reported.

23. aki009 macrumors newbie

I'm not using Safari or Chrome, but I have yet to get more than about 3 hours of battery life out of the new MBP. It's really cool for a lot of good reasons, but the battery is non-existent. Or perhaps it's intended to be a retro joke. 1990's battery life.

Steve Jobs is really sorely missed at this point. If this happened on his watch, there'd be heads rolling...

24. jediofthecode macrumors newbie

jediofthecode

This seems absurd to me, I have a 2016 macbook pro non touch bar base model, and I am getting about 6-7 hours battery life. This is when im using chrome and developing nodejs apps, so running iterm2, gulp, atom, chrome, react dev tools, listening to music in iTunes, all at 75% brightness. Perhaps you are having specific software issues, or a faulty battery, but I have had good experience so far with the battery life of this laptop.

25. aki009 macrumors newbie

Same tools and software as on my old(er) MBP15R. Noticeably shorter battery life. It really s*cks.