Macbook Pro w/ Maverick...SLOW!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmansoto, Feb 8, 2014.

1. bmansoto macrumors newbie

I feel like I have tried everything possible to get my macbook speed back to where it once was, but still no luck. Video play is very delayed and some of the computer animations take forever. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Backup, format, fresh install, restore your files.

3. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

Yeah I noticed that too after an upgrade so I restored back to Mountain Lion. I often wonder if it has to do with that compressed memory and whether or not an app will suffer if it's not coded for it.

I might try again at some point. I'd like the new Garage Band, and be able to sync Numbers across iOS properly. Like you, I prefer speed over new features. If I could go back to Snow Leopard on my new machine, I would.

The other poster is right, you might get better performance if you do a fresh install, but that's more work than the average person might be willing.

4. accountforit macrumors 6502a

^ bingo.

5. bmansoto thread starter macrumors newbie

I did the back-up yesterday and downloaded Maverick. I did another backup once the computer restarted with the new install. It was slow right before the new install and I was hoping that Maverick would repair some errors [if any]. I moved all pictures, videos, and larger file to the same external HD that I backup the Mac to to free up some space. Also ran a disk clean-up program.

What do you mean format? Where can I do this and will I have to reinstall all apps?

6. accountforit macrumors 6502a

You format and erase in the disk utility app. Yes, you will have to reinstall all over again.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

...and then you posted implying the slow-down was only after you installed Mavericks...

So, starting again. I suspect Spotlight may have been re-indexing or perhaps you have moved something to the external HD that the OS needs frequently - kernel_task is writing a lot.

Clearly something was amiss before the upgrade and is still amiss so my previous advice still holds. Fresh install of the OS and then load your user files.

8. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

Macbook Pro w/ Maverick...SLOW!

I see that you have 4GB of memory. Have you tried upgrading it to 16GB. I've been fine with 4GB on my mid late 2010 iMac for 1 year from the day I bought it in 2010 and it started to slowed down to the max when I would use Final Cut Pro & Adobe CS6. When I upgraded the memory to 16GB every was much smoother after upgrading the memory

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Memory pressure is green, he isn't swapping anything.

10. bmansoto thread starter macrumors newbie

Simonsi is correct. I ran the "verify disk" in Disk Utility and received the following [see picture].

Thanks all for the help. I will update you guys later.

Attached Files:

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Guess your HDD is getting too slow...

Actually, HDDs do slow down. Physically they do not. They still spin at the same speed and such, but as the hdd becomes more and more fragmented from writes and deletes, the read head will have to search over more and more area to find/extract the files being called for.

Solution:
    1. Reformat.
    2. Buy an SSD and watch your Mac boot up in just 10 seconds.

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Its not getting slow or fragmented. It has errors that need mapping out. They are <hopefully> fixable by Disk Utility.

Would you describe your car as getting slow because it has two flat tires???

13. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Here we go with this BS again.

14. bmansoto thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

So the computer is a lot faster after the disk repair but I still have a lag when watching movies. Any suggestions on this?

Here are the errors my Mac reported:
    1) Incorrect number of file links
    2) Orphaned file inode (id=14274336)

15. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

A "lag" on what? Audio vs the video? Mouse/trackpad??

16. bmansoto thread starter macrumors newbie

When watching videos on Netflix and some that I have downloaded in the past, lag. Video plays slow and audio does not match. Youtube videos are working fine.

17. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

OK, what are you using to watch the Netflix vids that you have downloaded?

18. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

With iphones and iPads with each major ios update I see the performance start to take a hit. I'm seeing a trend with these threads that the same seems to happen with OS X too. That's disheartening.

19. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Then you need to read these threads more carefully - the OP had an issue post upgrade that was fixed with a fresh install (happens sometimes).

Now he has a very specific issue with certain media playing slowly.

This isn't comparable to iOS upgrades at all. With iOS you have no option but to take a hit if you want more function due to the much more limited system resources it has. OSX runs on a much wider capacity of machines, issues are much more likely to be specific issues and not a general issues with the OS. Good job the HW gets faster on ALL platforms over time though :)

If anything Mavericks is better then previous versions due to its much better memory management

20. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Well that's good to hear but I'm just parroting what I've been reading around the web. Nor do I base my opinions on a single thread/mention/action.

21. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

But that is why its bad science, general statements based on technical inaccuracies coupled with the inherent over-emphasis in Forums of problems - then before we know it an urban myth has sprung up.

A general, genuine technical problem with any device will be over-represented in internet forums by anything from 10x to many orders of magnitude, primarily due to the statistical skew caused by forums being heavily weighted towards posters with problems reporting them, (non-)posters without problems don't post.

22. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Here is another very detailed thread posted today about mavericks slowing his system. Is he lying? Doesn't seem to be to me. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1705184. No need to argue with me though. I love my mac and would never ever go back to windows. My imac is in another world altogether compared to my windows xp I've had for the last 10 years. And it will always be. Even if OS X 20 slows it down a tad.

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Having 4GB of RAM is your problem. My late 2008 Al MacBook is running Mavericks and guess what? Same performance as day 1. No slow downs. However, I must admit to have boosted it's RAM capacity to 8GB.

Note - I have not added the SSD yet, and I am very sure that adding one will add a bigger performance boost to this machine.

24. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

So I guess I'm not the only one now saying the 4G of RAM was the problem.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, and you shouldn't doubt that is OP's problem. I guarantee it.