Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpugarte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
I have a MacBook Pro 17" 2011 with High Sierra OS. I recently changed the battery. Was working great for months. Now it won't boot. When I turn it on, I get the following screen:

IMG_8607.JPG

When I press a key, it starts booting up, it goes almost to 40%, and then it boots again and does the same thing over and over again in a loop.

IMG_8606.JPG

I created a bootable USB High Sierra drive on my iMac, as that is the OS the MacBook Pro had. The instructions I found, guided me to boot from the USB, then into Disk Utility. Then they said to 'ERASE' my bootable HD from Disk Utility and after fresh install the OS as follows:

1. When your Mac's startup disk is formatted, return to the Utilities window and select "Install macOS", choose your freshly erased startup drive when asked where to install the OS, and follow the onscreen prompts to complete the installation.
IMG_8609.JPG

I want to make sure that "ERASING" the HD will allow me to install the OS.

mpugarte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
Sorry, a little confused here...

If the computer is not booting, what would be the point of using an external monitor, which I do not have right now BTW?

I can't get past the second image above. The third is from Recovery Mode. I have tried reinstalling the OS and it gets stuck when there's about 8% remaining to go.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
An external display requires the discrete GPU. If the external display goes blank during the installation but not the built-in in display, it is a good indication the discrete GPU has failed.

Did you try the usb installer on another Mac to ensure the installer is fully functional?

mpugarte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
No. My other computer is a 2015 special build iMac that is now running Mojave. The MBP was running High Sierra. I also tried to install Sierra. Neither worked.

I could try and use my iMac as a display, but the instructions I have found require the MBP to be up and running...

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I sympathize with you because I had a late 2011 15" i7 with a failed Radeon gpu. I spent a lot of time trying to determine the exact cause of the white screens, black screens, and garbled screens when installing El Capitan and Sierra. I suspected the discrete gpu but wanted to be sure.

Reactions: SDColorado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.