Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacBook Pros in High Demand, Increased Mac Market Share?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Piper Jaffray analysts are recommending shares of Apple Computer, citing high demand for the MacBook Pro:

The analyst's checks also indicated that there is pent-up demand for the MacBook Pro -- 70% of the stores have a waiting list of MacBook Pro customers.

Meanwhile, Needham & Co analysts believev that Apple has positioned itself for "massive growth in its market share".

Based on their online survey of college students, there has been a dramatic increase in possible switching from the Windows to Mac platform. One of the hurdles, appears the ease of which Macs could run Windows. According to their survey, if Apple were to make it easy for Macs to run Windows the number of students purchasing a Mac would double (24.7% to 44% in the survey).

The potential ability for the new Intel Macs to run Windows has drawn a lot of attention and controversy amongst Mac users.

chepistolas

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Chicago
wahoo! 10 % market share!

I know so many of my collegues that would get an apple if its able to run Windows.

Comment

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
ive been wanting an MBP, and being able to run windows natively would only sweeten the deal. so much engineering design software i work with (such as AutoCAD) only works with windows. I hate it, but its true. running windows natively on apple hardware would be the most elegant solution to my dilemma of needing windows.

Comment

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
BornAgainMac said:
Good for both Apple and Microsoft. Apple should be the largest laptop / desktop vendor in the next 18 months.

Not wanting to be negative or anything but Apple has a very very long way to go before it sell anywhere near as many computers as Dell.

Comment

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2005
England
:eek: 44 odd percent of college students! Crikey that would be rather impressive. Though I'm equally pressed by the 27% figure of college students! Well the sky's the limit I guess.

[sarcasm]Probably next year Microsoft will be saying it would be nice to have a 10% market share![/sarcasm]

Comment

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Im definitely in the market for one but am waiting for at least one of my main apps to be binary. Every thing I use would be running on Rosetta currently.

Comment

nicksoper

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
Cape Town
Windows on a mac

I'd be intrested in running windows apps on a mac, even if they ran through a rossetta style system.

But isn't the fact that mac's can't run windows executables why macs dont get viruses, another factor in owning a mac.

Nick

Comment

lord_flash

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
Brighton, England
Things in my list before I buy another Mac

1) Runs Windows properly (just in case Vista does really well and we're all sidelined. Come on, it's not impossible, even if it would be a bit sad.)
2) The model has been out long enough for things like the 15" PowerBook FW800's screen problem to be ironed out.
3) It looks cool.

So, one out of three so far (3), but sounds promising on the others.

Comment

ErnieFrance4

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2004
College switchers

I switched my freshman year of college and since then most of my friends have as well. It is funny that once someone takes the plunge and people can see it in action how many of their friends will be getting them as well. More power to Apple. I would love to see my campus filled with Macs as opposed to lab after lab of crappy dells. I go to UGA and they just love buying dells and sticking them everywhere. I bought a laptop just so i wouldn't have to use them.

Comment

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Macrumors said:
... According to their survey, if Apple were to make it easy for Macs to run Windows the number of students purchasing a Mac would double (24.7% to 44% in the survey). ...
Duh!!

Comment

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Running windows on a Mac is of no real interest to me, but I can totally understand how it'd be a real bonus for those who have no other option. An increase in marketshare is all good by me!

Comment

mithras

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2002
Tell me where the 30% of stores *without* a waitlist are, and I'll run to one! (Or are those merely the ones that haven't received any shipments yet?)

Comment

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Montreal, Canada
I personally do not want my mac to be able to dual boot windows. Not only is it inconvienent to have to reboot your system to use the one or two programs that are windows only but I feel that many users (especially people new to the mac) might end up with macs running just windows and not OS X, then why would vendors be pushed to write OS X programs?

What I would like to see is a WINE/VPC like app that would run at near native speeds. That way we get the apps without having to actually dual boot windows. Then the percentage of people that are using OS X will increase and software companies might think that it is worth creating native apps for the Mac. Maybe? I am not sure, but it is somthing that I have thought about.

Comment

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
... According to their survey, if Apple were to make it easy for Macs to run Windows the number of students purchasing a Mac would double (24.7% to 44% in the survey). ...

Im sorry, where are the idiots saying Apple won't be around in 10 years? The move to Intel was bad? Macs have no market share?

Everyday I read more and more about Macs doing insanely well, and it makes me smile.:)

Comment

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Macrumors said:
The potential ability for the new Intel Macs to run Windows has drawn a lot of attention and controversy amongst Mac users.

Unless I'm missing the point, I don't understand why there should be any controversy. When I'm sitting in front of my cool iMac fondling my dock (ooh err missus :D ) it wouldn't bother me if millions of others were running Windows on their same machines. You can't have exclusivity and market share.

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If OSX could run windows apps then companies would give up writing software for native OSX. We've seen this before with IBM OS2 - don't let history repeat itself.

( And yes, OS2, another OS that was better than windows, but then, that, is not a very hard feat to achieve ).

Comment

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
Running Windows on a Mac defeats the purpose. That is up there, in the most retarded things to do list. Why can't people just get one of these great new HP's or Dells to continue running Windows?

I mean, I hope they purchase the Macs, but I also hope they use the OS that comes with it and realize just how superior it is to that ****** product from Microsoft.

Comment

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
MrSmith said:
Unless I'm missing the point, I don't understand why there should be any controversy. When I'm sitting in front of my cool iMac fondling my dock (ooh err missus :D ) it wouldn't bother me if millions of others were running Windows on their same machines. You can't have exclusivity and market share.

Unfortunately many Mac Fanboys are against "dirtying" up macs with Windows. Just wait I'm sure they will respond to this.

Comment

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
MacAficionado said:
Running Windows on a Mac defeats the purpose. That is up there, in the most retarded things to do list. Why can't people just get one of these great new HP's or Dells to continue running Windows?

I mean, I hope they purchase the Macs, but I also hope they use the OS that comes with it and realize just how superior it is to that ****** product from Microsoft.

The first step to converting them is to make them realize that they needed it. When I switched 3 years back it was quite a leap of faith to spend $3000 on an OS that I didn't know. If I would have had the option of installing windows I would have done it far sooner.

Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
m-dogg said:
Once you get a taste of that OS X goodness, why would you even want to dual-boot into Windows?
Sometimes, you just have to. It would be a HUGE selling point, even if Apple/Microsoft don't officially endorse it.

Comment

budward

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2006
MacBook Pro Is Too Hot!

I recently received my macbook from apple ( 2 days ago ) I used it for 30 minutes and it got so hot that it's not even useable. Maybe people that live in Canada ( Where it is cold ) won't notice it, but I live in Florida. I am also scared that my kids can get burned if they touch it.
The bottom is super hot, as is the left front where you would rest your hand while typing. I called Apple to return it and they told me that I selected the faster hardrive, in being so they wont return it.

I know other people are saying the same thing about the heat issue. Apple does not disclose this on the website in any obvious place. In my users manual that came with the MBP, it says the machine may get "Warm" with extended use. That is a total understatement! My MBP get's "Hot" almost right away. Also, I am a registered Apple Developer and work as a Linux Sys Admin. I am well aware of how much heat is acceptable. I have a feeling that Apple is going to have major problems with this in the near future..

Listed below is all my Apple hardware, so please don't think I don't know my Mac's. I am a mac lover! However, the macbook pro is unacceptable.

I have give Apple a formal request for a return/refund. If they don't I am wiling to investigate a Class Action Lawsuit, since I am not the only one complaining about this.

MBPRO 15/2.0 CTO
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo/256MB
1GB 667 DDR2- 1 SO-DIMM
100GB Serial ATA Drive@7200rpm
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
Airport Extreme Card&BT

Also,
I have a PowerMac G5 dual 2.0, 2GB ram
Mac Mini 1.5 PPC running OpenBSD
PowerBook 12"

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.