Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
evilbert420 said:
Disassemblies have shown that the hard drive is front left, optical drive is front right, and the logic board sits under the keyboard. The CPU and GPU are at each back corner of the keyboard, and their heat presumably collects right at the top of the keyboard. There is ducting but it's obvious that they're still relying upon the enclosure to absorb heat.

As an owner of a Toshiba M4 (Pentium M-1.86), I can tell you that if you want a cool-to-the-touch laptop these days, you'll have to sacrifice speed or deal with excessive fan noise.

Interesting, thanks. I'm not overly bothered by the heat, as long as I'm not wearing shorts, it's fine on my lap. As long as the components don't mind, neither do I.

Raukodur

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2006
there was some sort of study that said that guys should be careful about using laptops on their knees, especially for any prolonged time.

Thats because in that position your knees are together, and the laptop is generating heat, and that means you might have problems with sperm production since the theory goes that the testicles reside outside the body to keep them a degree or so cooler than the core temperature, backed by the fact that the gonadal artery is surrounded by the pampiniform plexus (i.e. venous blood helps cool arterial blood to the testes)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Some other observations -

I was a bit worried about all these reports of whines and hums; but mine is very, very quiet. If I press my ear against the keyboard (it gets burnt.. :p), but I can only just hear the fans, that's it.

I'm a little surprised reading the Arstechnica review, as the Maglock on mine is pretty darn strong. It takes a strong grip on the cable and a firm yank to get it out - but it's much easier to lever it out; by pushing up or down on the plug.

The remote is far better than I expected too, even holding the remote over the keyboard (i.e. "behind" the sensor) it still works perfectly.

On the negative side though, Front Row 'hangs' for 30 to 40 seconds if I go into Movies (I don't have any on it yet). iPhoto and iWeb can make it pretty much unresponsive too when they get busy, even though the indicated CPU usage is below 50%.

I've also experienced the slowing/pausing trackpad problem, but it's minor (and as this is my first portable Mac, I've nothing to which to compare it). Sometimes when moving the cursor (or two finger scrolling) slowly, the cursor will slow then stop. If you speed up it's fine again.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Raukodur said:
there was some sort of study that said that guys should be careful about using laptops on their knees, especially for any prolonged time.

Thats because in that position your knees are together, and the laptop is generating heat, and that means you might have problems with sperm production since the theory goes that the testicles reside outside the body to keep them a degree or so cooler than the core temperature, backed by the fact that the gonadal artery is surrounded by the pampiniform plexus (i.e. venous blood helps cool arterial blood to the tested)

Hmmm.. is that long term or short term problems with sperm production? ;)

sel1965

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2006
KC, MO
I have been using a laptop for about 7 years, in that 7 years I have had 7 children. 2 sets of twins, 1 girl, 1 boy and 2 boys. Of cours my wife and I had one on the way before we got married but hey things happen. Since we had our 7th last year I have now taken precautions and won't be having anymore anytime soon. I sit my laptop on my lap all the time I guess I haven't had any problems with sperm huh?

Raukodur

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2006
congratulation on your family.

What i was stating was a basic principle and the conclusions you can reach from it.

Everyone is different, and especially when dealing with biological processes there is a huge amount of variables that make every instance different, so yes, you could have a child every year even if you have a nut sac warmer that keeps them toasty, or you could be unlucky and the laptap on your lap could cause problems.

In reply to the questions about temporary or permanent, i very much doubt it is permanent from something as minor as a laptop on your lap, but if it did reduce sperm production/kill sperm already produced temporarily, that would temporarily decrease your fertility. If you used a laptop in the same way every day, then you would be continually temporarily reducing your fertility. However, if you stopped placing the laptop on your lap, there shouldnt be any permanent problems.

svenas1

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2003
john123 said:
It still doesn't fundamentally alter my original argument, however, which is that there are people who have very specific needs to run types of software....and that Apple has made a large number of "transitions" in the past decade that have made life very difficult on its user base. From 68K to PPC, from OS 9 to OS X, from PPC to Intel...it necessitates a constant upgrade cycle that is not really fair. When legacy support is relatively shortlived, it makes life very difficult on users -- especially when there are often not options for the "new" hardware/software to have all the functionality that the legacy hw/sw did. That's all.

Your argument doesn't really hold true for the PPC / Intel transition, though. An old PPC computer doesn't get upgraded to Intel automatically, so there's no issue of a transition there. This was different in the OS9/OS X case, where you could run both systems on the same hardware.

I've been with the Mac since System 7 (as many people here) and have never felt Apple should have slowed down their development just to accomodate my needs in older software.

Could you give examples of such people, and how they are affected by a transition ? I've always held that you can continue to use what works, and if an upgrade breaks software that is mission critical to you, then of course don't upgrade!

I know many examples where software is initially incompatible (Matlab, CiscoVPN come to mind for recent examples), but in each case the company have upgraded their software within reasonable time.

MacDmix

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
Springdale, Arkansas
Many MacBooks shipping 3/17

tenacious_dee said:
I bought my MBP on Feb 4, standard 1.67 --> 1.83

Still can cancel my order...
No shipping...

WHAT'S GOING ON!!!! How are others getting theirs so much more quickly?

Anyone have any ideas?

I ordered mine 1.67-->1.83 on February 6th and now I am being told it will ship on 3/17. This was ordered through MacMall and have done some checking with other vendors and it looks like a huge shipment is coming around then for all resellers. So expect to get yours about that time unless you ordered from Apple and it could come sooner. In either case if you ordered earlier you should expect yours to ship on or around the 17th.

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
I went to check out a new MacBook Pro at the Apple store here in Las Vegas. I was actually quite impressed (from a current non-owner point of view) about the solid feel of the machine. I made it a point to close the cover and reopen it to see how the structure felt. I was impressed! My old Dell Latitude at home is currently being held closed by a book on top of it!

I didn't have time to ask about availability in-store, but they had three on display right in the front of the store. The one I was on was a 2.0GHz model and it felt quite robust just casually opening a few different apps like Word and Aperture. All I know is that now I want to purchase one myself... I'm just gunshy because the last time I bought a powerbook G3 3400, the freakin' wallstreet came out like 4 months later. I don't think I can lose if I get "stuck" with a MBP, but at the same time I don't necessarily want to buy it only to have it be completely obsolete in 6 months or something.

trogq8

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2006
Kuwait
Is it just me...

Or did apple.com change the shipping estimate to 2 - 3 weeks?
Perhaps a steady flow of macbook pros will be making their way to us soon.

s1lentslayer

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2006
What is sad is if they ship in 2 weeks like the website says, that would be sooner than the estimated ship date on the one I ordered 2 weeks ago:(

infectbda

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2004
It'll be 3 weeks on Wednesday for me, so I hope it ships now that they've changed the estimate on new orders.

stillwater

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2004
Rowley, MA
I just picked up my new MBP 2 ghz at the Salem, NH Apple Store today.:) I think they must be getting caught up with demand for these as I only signed up on the in-store contact list just before going out of town about a week and a half ago. Needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised when they called this morning to offer to hold one for me.

This is my first post typed on my new machine. The first thing I did when I got home is transfer my files from my rev.A G5 iMac. That took close to an hour for about 45 gigs worth of stuff. So far, I'm pretty happy with the performance increase over my old G3 iBook. Man, that thing was slow!

Oh yeah, I really love the backlit keyboard. It is so cool.

bu113t

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Howell, MI
Ok, so i got sick of waiting for my 1.83. Visiting my sister in NC, drove to Charlotte, NC and was able to buy a stock 2.0 with education discount. Now I am a happy man... I still can't believe I can walk into a store and buy one quicker than I get my Feb 3rd preorder...

xav1379

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
London, UK
Apple Store vs Online Apple Store

bu113t said:
Ok, so i got sick of waiting for my 1.83. Visiting my sister in NC, drove to Charlotte, NC and was able to buy a stock 2.0 with education discount. Now I am a happy man... I still can't believe I can walk into a store and buy one quicker than I get my Feb 3rd preorder...

The person I talked to over the phone at the Apple Store told me that the retail network was separate from them.
Also I guess that the Apple Store in Charlotte (South Park Mall) is not as busy as the ones in NYC.

Now you can go to the Caribou Café on South Bld and show off your brand new MBP!

;-)

xav1379

MacDmix

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
Springdale, Arkansas
CompUSA has 1.83 in stock

Just cancelled my other order because Comp USA has the 1.83 in stock. Don't know how long they will last buy get them while you can! I ordered mine on Wednesday, March 8th at 5:24 PM CT, so hopefully you can still order. Just go online to their website to order.

macnoir

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2006
Chicago
North from Alaska

My DualCore 2Gig, 120 Gig had a brief stopover in Alaska and is again on its way to me. I wonder if it has cleared customs in Alaska or is that hurdle still ahead of it. It's time to order the Air Mouse.

John123040

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2007
Package received after FedEx cutoff

This phrase is automatically inserted in the FEDEX tracking whenever it appears the shipment will be late. You will always notice that within hours the package is a thousand miles from the pickup point within hours, so how could it be late? It is a cost cutting measure that is used to deny refunds against the late delivery guarranty. It is also used selectively. When you call 800-622-1147 (press 0 immediately) you will get a human agent whose first question is "what is your FEDEX account number?" Your shipping volume over the last year determines everything. If you are big, you get a refund no sweat. If you are not, you get all kinds of BS, starting with the "fact" that you did not meet the FEDEX cutoff. If you point out the package's location hours later, he will switch to equipment failure, or weather, or any number of exclusions, none of which appear in the Terms and Conditions that form FEDEX's tariff. If you hold your ground, he will eventually give up and put your application through "as a courtesy" but it won't be paid. It is surprising how many people think this phrase is real.

John123040

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2007
Package received after FedEx cutoff

Package received after FEDEX Cutoff time. This phrase is automatically inserted in the FEDEX tracking whenever it appears the shipment will be late. You will always notice that within hours the package is a thousand miles from the pickup point within hours, so how could it be late? It is a cost cutting measure that is used to deny refunds against the late delivery guarranty. It is also used selectively. When you call 800-622-1147 (press 0 immediately) you will get a human agent whose first question is “what is your FEDEX account number?” Your shipping volume over the last year determines everything. If you are big, you get a refund no sweat. If you are not, you get all kinds of BS, starting with the “fact” that you did not meet the FEDEX cutoff. If you point out the package’s location hours later, he will switch to equipment failure, or weather, or any number of exclusions, none of which appear in the Terms and Conditions that form FEDEX’s tariff. If you hold your ground, he will eventually give up and put your application through “as a courtesy” but it won’t be paid. It is surprising how many people think this phrase is real.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.