MacBook Pros Trickling In

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
49,654
10,975

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
568
5
Madison, WI
For something that looks almost exactly the same as the powerbook, these unpacking pics are really hot. Hot in a way most of us won't admit.
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,167
2
gammamonk said:
For something that looks almost exactly the same as the powerbook, these unpacking pics are really hot. Hot in a way most of us won't admit.
I agree.

oh man.. That styrofoam!
I'm such an apple-packaging-sniffer, it's sick.

the styrofoam is so cool, though. the little cutouts to save weight (presumably)
SO NEAT!

and smaller box to be able to conserve shipping volume... I bet they're banking on selling huge amounts, so they want ot be able to send as many over as possible in one cargo ship.
 

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
1,136
0
Massachusetts, Connecticut
katie ta achoo said:
and smaller box to be able to conserve shipping volume... I bet they're banking on selling huge amounts, so they want ot be able to send as many over as possible in one cargo ship.
Plus this way it gets more mind-seperation from the pb's in geeks' minds, which is something Apple's looking for.
 

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,546
1,196
OK, now that we have iSight bult-in, I want a MACBOOK'S-EYE VIEW of the unpacking process :)
 

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
2,548
2
New Jersey
Awesome pics! I saved them all to my hard drive. :D

I've said it before and I will say it again... that box is so thin. It's... sexy! :blush:
 

Superhob

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2004
136
0
I'm wondering about something I noticed in the pictures posted by O'Grady. The MBP doesn't appear to have any vents/slots for incoming air like the previous gen 15 inch PB. I've looked at pictures of all the sides but I can't see any vents. The only vents I see are at the bottom of the LCD for air to exit but where would the air come in from? Anyone else notice this?:confused:
 

Kaiser Phoenix

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2005
359
0
London
Shutting a core off

Hi mac fanatics,

I dont post very often but I read the rumors everyday!

I just wanted to know if anyone knew if its possible to like shut one of the cores of the core duo off for example to save battery or when youre on the move on the MBP.

The reason why im asking is because before the MBP was launched, i heard a lot of people saying that this was possible on the Yonahs.

Maybe the reason why Apple hasnt posted battery life is because maybe they are still developing some sort of software or powermanagement thing to shut one of the cores off? And then it may be available in a update of some kind?

Thanks!
 

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
1,468
2
Texas
Kaiser,
that would be an interesting feature...great way to save battery life. I sure hope that is a possibility because that battery life is less than I expected...:)
 

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
423
0
Ontario, CA
well from what he wrote, can we then think that there maybe be some macbooks on a shelf in a store somewhere ? and we may not have to wait the month for shipping?
 

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
15,268
3,410
Kaiser Phoenix said:
I just wanted to know if anyone knew if its possible to like shut one of the cores of the core duo off for example to save battery or when youre on the move on the MBP.

You can disable one of the cores, but it's unclear how much battery you'd save.

Macworld disabled one of the cores of the Intel iMac for benchmarking purposes:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/02/firstlooks/imacbench2/index.php

To find out just how much our test programs took advantage of the iMac’s dual-core chip, we disabled one of the iMac’s two cores and re-ran several of our tests.
 

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
2,215
0
Virginia Beach, VA
yoda13 said:
Kaiser,
that would be an interesting feature...great way to save battery life. I sure hope that is a possibility because that battery life is less than I expected...:)
The battery indicator won't be accurate until its been charged and discharged fully so it can calibrate. But 3.5 hours was about what my PB was new with full screen brightness, Airport and Bluetooth on, and light to medium processor activity going on.

But I agree being able to turn off one core does seem like a good option. (Maybe the High/Reduced/Automatic processor setting in Energy Saver Pref Pane already does this? I doubt it, but it could be...)
 

Plecky

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
150
0
Is it just me or does that screen not look "67% brighter!" Maybe had it been a shot with the lights and/or flash off... I can tell the screen is brighter but I was expecting a larger difference but maybe its a good thing that its not - battery life and all - I'll probably have mine as dim as I can to conserve on power since I was also hoping for better then 3 1/2 hours. If I can somehow squeen 4 and a half real world hours out of it with energy saver mode or who-knows-what-else then I'll be happy. There is no reason that my 2 year old 15.4" Dell Centrino should get bettery battery life! NO REASON!:p
 

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
2,215
0
Virginia Beach, VA
Plecky said:
Is it just me or does that screen not look "67% brighter!" Maybe had it been a shot with the lights and/or flash off... I can tell the screen is brighter but I was expecting a larger difference but maybe its a good thing that its not - battery life and all...
I don't know how they measure brightness, but you're probably right that visually it may not look 67% brighter... but then I'm not used to comparing the brightness of stuff so it might be hard to say.

But the latest Powerbook were already significantly brighter than the older versions, and now the MacBooks are even brighter than the newest PBs... You don't want to feel like you're staring into a flashlight, do you? :)
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.