Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacBook Speculation Increases While we Wait

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

While many readers await definitive news of a MacBook update, the void of legitimate rumors have triggered ongoing speculation about the anticipated updates.

For lack of any new details, a lot of speculation has focused on the "Brick" codename that was first revealed by 9to5Mac. It seems any story about a possible Apple product tries to tie it to the mysterious codename. The problem with most of these predictions is that they ignore that the origin of the name relates exclusively to the new MacBook. There seems little chance that "brick" represents a new class of product.

The July rumor that Apple may adopt alternative chipsets has recently gotten a bit of traction with speculation that Apple could adopt the NVidia chipset which is scheduled for release on October 15th.

Readers may recall that October 14th is the rumored date of the Apple notebook refresh. There have been some incorrect reports that Apple had planned some sort of announcement on September 30th, but that simply turned out to be a routine conference call with their resellers.

And no lead up to a release would be complete without likely fake spy shots which claim to depict the new MacBook Pro.

Article Link

jstanier

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Brighton, England.
I'm going to give it until the October 14th date that's floating around, assess the rumours and news then and then possibly make a purchase.

Comment

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well if Apple plans a formal event on the 14th, we'll know in the next few business days so they can get the one week advance notice out.

If they don't, then we just check back every Tuesday...

Comment

pedroistheman

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2007
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

While many readers await definitive news of a MacBook update, the void of legitimate rumors have triggered ongoing speculation about the anticipated updates.

For lack of any new details, a lot of speculation has focused on the "Brick" codename that was first revealed by 9to5Mac. It seems any story about a possible Apple product tries to tie it to the mysterious codename. The problem with most of these predictions is that they ignore that the origin of the name relates exclusively to the new MacBook. There seems little chance that "brick" represents a new class of product.

The July rumor that Apple may adopt alternative chipsets has recently gotten a bit of traction with speculation that Apple could adopt the NVidia chipset which is scheduled for release on October 15th.

Readers may recall that October 14th is the rumored date of the Apple notebook refresh. There have been some incorrect reports that Apple had planned some sort of announcement on September 30th, but that simply turned out to be a routine conference call with their resellers.

And no lead up to a release would be complete without likely fake spy shots which claim to depict the new MacBook Pro.

Article Link

wait, if the chipset isn't going to be released until the 15th are we looking at an even later release for the macbooks?

Comment

Manatee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I'm really craving some info on upcoming MBPs. I have the cash all ready, but the way my finances are going, if the new machine doesn't show up soon I might blow the money on food or something. ;)

Comment

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
I'm going to give it until the October 14th date that's floating around, assess the rumours and news then and then possibly make a purchase.

Here's a hunch that I admit could be totally wrong. Apple's trademark secrecy maneuvers broke down this year. Rumor sites have nailed many releases. Why? Maybe because Steve Jobs was ill and spent time away from Apple. Maybe now that Jobs is back, and furious no doubt about the leaks, he has put new measures into place to prevent them.

You can't blame Steve Jobs for wanting a few more keynotes like the iPhone in January 2007. No rumor site spoiled that announcement so the combination of surprise and a blockbuster product resulted in the best keynote ever. Are we in store for a similar keynote this month? One can only hope.

Comment

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
I still hold on to October 14th-October 15th time frame prediction.

Aluminium 16:9 ratio MacBooks are coming. :D

Comment

riversky

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2005
If no press event is scheduled I would expect only a minor speed bump/price change etc....

I think in the current economic climate Apple will wait until MacWorld to make any major changes to the MacBook lines..

Comment

chelsea smile

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
if a new macbook dosent come out before or on october 14th. ill be getting a black macbook and getting 4gb of ram or whatever.

i dont need anything fancy anymore

Comment

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
MacBooks? Seriously?

I'd think that by now we'd see something about the Mac mini and the Mac Pro. The Mac mini is still selling with pratically the same motherboard since the intel switch, and still with the intel integrated GPU GMA950 which was already obsolete at the time. :(

Comment

dirkdirk80

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Even Microsoft wants a Mac.

Found this on MSN today....

12. I'm a PC, she's a Mac, and you're unemployed
I'm a PC, she's a Mac, and you're unemployed
Michael Hanscom did not pose nude on Flickr, attack the locals with a stick on his trip to Mexico, or dress up like the Fairy Princess while calling in sick. His crime? In October 2003, the Microsoft temp posted photos of Macintosh G5s being unloaded on the Redmond campus to his blog with the title "Even Microsoft wants G5s." And that was enough to get him canned from his job in Microsoft's print shop for an alleged "security violation." Apparently, the world's largest developer of software for the Mac (besides Apple) didn't want anyone to know that some of its employees use Macs. (Thanks for Michael Hanscom for use of the photo.)

Comment

Malooga

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Dallas, TX
Mother ****ERS! This better come out on October 14th! This ******** about October 15th better not be true. Please release them October 14th! and save Macworld for Snow Leopard only, or just minor updates then, like 8gb ram with a 64 bit operating system would then be native. thats all I can hope for.

Until then October 14th better be the big date. Hope they announce the event this coming week before I die.

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I'm mighty impressed by the way that time and time again Apple manages to keep us guessing before events like these. Most people can make fairly good assumptions about what will arrive (LED screens, Aluminium Cases) but no one knows for sure till they arrive.

It would be nice for Apple to give the MacBook Pro the same easy upgrade provision as the MacBook. Adding a new hard disk is quite a common use case these days.

Comment

technickal

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2008
if a new macbook dosen't come out before or on october 14th. ill be getting a black macbook and getting 4gb of ram or whatever.
I'm with you. my student loan is burning a hole in my pocket and i need to spend it before it goes off to smaller things. I don't think i could wait til MacWorld.
(yay, i finally registered for this site, its only been like a yr! lol.)

Comment

Malooga

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Dallas, TX
I stand firm on the information we received in June regarding the upcoming keyboard.

LINK: http://www.macblogz.com/2008/06/23/...-overhaul-rumors-re-surface-new-keyboard-100/

Our sources told us that the keyboard in the new Macbook Pro will be what's explained in this post 100%. As you mention in your post, there's a void of legitimate rumors, I think this one's dead on.

Aviv,

I wouldnt mind that keyboard if they made it silver and metal like the current ones, but still separated. Or if they do the black bezel like the iMac then black keys would be okay, I guess.

Comment

Kyrahlynn

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
augh, this is agonizing! I've been wanting to buy a Macbook Pro for ages, and Apple isn't making the wait an easy one :mad:

Comment

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

And yet we still wait. I'm beginning to wonder if Apple is actually going to release an new line before the end of the year. By then we might as well wait until macworld.

Comment

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
I still think "Brick" is referring to a goal or strategy and not a product—break Windows even more.

Comment

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I hope the MacBook gets the same keyboard as the new MacBook Pro, which should be the one the MacBook Air has.

Comment

highjumppudding

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
the longer we wait, the increase speculation. doesnt that go for anything? anyway, im speculating that the next macbook will come out when it does.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.