Macbook wont turn on (reward)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ninos, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Ninos macrumors newbie

Okay, so basically my Macbook was working fine very late yesterday night (or should I say very early this morning) at about 4am. I've just woken up at about 1.30pm, and it won't switch on.

The power light is constantly on, but nothing works.
    I don't think it's just a display error, as if I try and put the caps lock key on (to see if the light shows) it doesn't.

If I remove the battery and put it back in, the power light comes back on immediately.

If the chargers plugged into it, the little light on the charger won't display.

I've clicked the little battery checker button on the other side of my mac and it shows past half battery, so it isn't out of charge.

No matter how long I press the power button down for (3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds) nothing happens.

What should I try and do to fix? Where I live (in england) there isn't a mac shop around for a few hundred miles. Also, I've had it anywhere between 1-2 years so I think my warranty is out...i'm not sure how long the warranty lasts.

So are there any things I can try to do to fix it? Ignore what I've said I've tried doing and instruct me from the start :)
    A PayPal reward will be given to anyone who can successfully help me out.

Thanks.

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Did you try an external monitor? And you could remove and re-add the battery to see if that makes a difference.

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

1st have you tried using a different plug/charger/battery with your macbook

2nd try an external monitor and or have you tried adjusting with the brightness button

3rd have you tried taking the ram out and back in?

4th does your HD spin up because it could be dead as well?

5th can you try a Hardware test?

4. davwin macrumors regular

The already posted suggestions are solid so try all of those. Sounds like you've already done the basics to reset it so... Only other thing I can think to try now is to remove power and the battery for 3-5 minutes to let it "clear". Then plug the power cable back in without the battery try powering it on. If it come sup it will seem slower than normal but thats o.k. - just want to make sure it can come back up. If you can get back to the dektop, shut it down like a normal power off and unplug it, restore the battery, plug it back in and power it on like normal.

If this doesn't help then I would schedule an appaointment at the Genius bar at your closest Apple store. Hope that helps...

5. Ninos thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have an external monitor. I have already tried taking out and putting back in the battery, no difference.

1. Haven't got any other charger/battery etc. Like I said, It's not a charging problem as the battery checker indicates a pretty full battery.

2. What can I use as an external monitor? And where do I get the cables to connect to one?

3. How do I take the ram out and put it back in?

4. HD? Hard drive? I don't know what you mean by spin up sorry :p Please explain mate

I have tried the following with no success. When I plug the charger in without a battery, the charger light doesn't come up. Like I said there isn't an apple store for literally a few hundred miles.

Damn I don't understand, was working perfectly fine about 12 hours ago; since then hasn't been moved, touched or even breathed on how can it break :confused:

Any one else can help?

6. stoveguy macrumors member

it does not chime when you try and boot? mine failed due to 1 bad ram chip. took out 1 of 2 and it started. take out battery, remove access panel and remove ram. if you think you can? you say you are not sure how to do that.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Can you hear the hard drive spin after you press the power button? The ram should be in two slots that you can see after you remove the battery. Try taking it out and putting it back in. Check iFixit.com for guides.

8. Ninos thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't make a single sound. No I am not sure, can you please guide me how to do these? Thanks.

Again it doesn't make a sound. Are you sure there are two slots? I can't see two slots...maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing? Can you be more specific I'm a bit of a noob hardware wise. Thanks.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

10. Ninos thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically, after reading the article I tried the following:
    - Disconnected charger then battery.
    - Held down power button for 5 seconds.
    - Reconnected battery then charger.
    - Pressed power button

OUTCOME: Nothing. The charger's light is still not indicating any activity (did I carry it out properly?).

TBH, A lot of the options there can't be done without it being on/able to boot already? I mean look at this for example:

SEE WHAT I MEAN? HOW CAN I FIX MY PROBLEM (NOT BEING ABLE TO BOOT MY MACBOOK) IF MOST OF THE SOLUTIONS TO FIX IT REQUIRE YOU TO FIRST BOOT IT, THEN FIX IT AFTER?? (I'm only typing in caps to bring attention to this as there is a lot of material in this post a lot of people will skip. I appreciate your help fully.).

Any thoughts/help/tips from anyone that's already participated or anyone new?
    I doubt it could be a hardware problem as it was working fine (no thrashing my laptop using a lot of resources...just browsing the internet) less than 10 hrs before my problem...although I'm a technical noob so I may be wrong.

Again, whoever helps fix my problem (directly or indirectly will be rewarded through PayPal the amount of your choice! Whatever you think your help was worth. $10? Fine. $50? Sure. $100? Why Not. Whatever you think you deserve I will send you that amount.

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I believe you did it properly. Do you have the OS X Restore disc that came with your MacBook?

12. Ninos thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I got every disk, manual, box and all the other original things that came with my Macbook.

2 things though:
    1. The restore disk...restore disk...I gather it restores the system and not completely resets my installation? (Since I have considerably important files on my mac and nowhere else...the main reason why I'm offering a reward). Obviously it does cause it's called 'restore' but always gotta be careful.

2. If I run the restore disk will it even work? Cause there's literally no response. I have a £650 brick. There's definitely charge (I've pressed the battery charge indicator). My point is though, how am I gonna run the disk if my macbook wont even boot/start up or anything?

Another thing of note, the battery charge indicator thing on the bottom of my mac was lit up 4 out of 5 circles. It now is lit up only 2 out of 5. This has gotta mean it's using charge for something or another right? Seems like a good sign I guess?

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Let the charge run out. Then try to charge it and boot. Could be that your logic board is toasted

14. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

That's what I thought. Not so good if it is, that's an expensive repair.

15. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

What you need to do is put in the restore disc, hold down the "C" key and try to boot it. If it boots you'll be able to run Disc Utility (from the menu) and repair your hard disk disk and your permissions. I don't intend for you to restore from it. So, if your hard drive is okay, your files should be.

16. Ninos thread starter macrumors newbie

What if the charge doesn't run out anymore by itself? How could I get it to run out.

Damnnnnn.....what would cause the logic board to get toasted? If it was an issue with the logic board, would it also get the charger's light indicator not to work? Again, if it was the logic board, would it get the 'power on' light (the white one) to display but every other function not to work? (However that was in the morning, now even the 'power on' light isn't working). I mean i wasn't making my macbook run like a bitch, infact in the last 8 months I havn't even used it extensively i've been easy on it.

Can't find my CDs as of now, but I know they're in the house somewhere. I've checked all the obviously places where the CD should be, so it now looks like I'll have to turn everything in my house upside down :'( oh well I'll find it like I always do then I'll post an update on if any progress is made.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You said the power light is on all the time, that means it should be running all the time and consuming the battery. Just let it be e.g. overnight

18. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Is there any apple certified reseller closer? (The may be a computer shop certified to do apple work.)

Not sure if this was answered but the warranty is 1 year unless you bought Apple Care. Then it would be 3 years total.

You could call Apple directly over the phone and pay the one time phone support fee(if you didn't buy apple care). I am not sure how much it is or how it works- or if they could even help you- but if you don't have a backup of your important data then it would be worth it for sure!!!

Was the cord still plugged in when you removed the battery? Be sure to unplug the cord when removing the battery so all power is prevented from running the mac. Then see if your light switches back on automatically.

I recently went through an issue with my MBP and despite having a backup (which failed) I had to spend several hundred dollars for recovery software and an external HD to recover my data. So I know what you are going through- it stinks!

19. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

20. Ninos thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, like I said it was earlier. However the power light has been off for some time now. Must've been after quite a few fiddles with the battery etc.

Like I said, no official apple store (or even certified unofficial one) for at least 100 miles.

That's good advice. When this thread starts to die, I'll try calling apple.

Nope

I know man it totally does. Not only did my charger break and I had to buy a new one (bloody expensive I may add), it broke again a few weeks later! I've just replaced it, and now I'm having this problem. This sucks bad. My main PC broke the other week and so I've been using my mac - that's why I bought a mac as it's reliable. However if this does turn out to be a £650 brick I won't be buying a mac again, only because this problem has been posted a few hundred times all over the internet and I'm not risking having it again.

I've done the following:
    - Held down the power button and the shift key simultaniously

With no outcome. Am I doing it right? I mean the laptop doesn't boot...it's literally a brick. How am I meant to boot it, then press shift to get it into safe mode if I can't even boot it?

Also the problem isn't the adapter, it was (and still is, on my friends laptop) working perfectly fine.

:( My luck ****in sucks

21. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

The replacement power adapters were they from Apple? I mean are they official Apple power adapters, not something made by a 3rd party?

That sounds like you're doing it right.

22. Cpup macrumors member

Hibernation

Your mac is probably hibernating. It did the same thing with me and I freaked out. My mac just wouldn't turn on. It is probably a power thing. Fully charge it and leave it closed for a while (overnight) and then try to turn it on again. Sorry if this doesn't help. I hope this works out for you!:apple:

23. Ninos thread starter macrumors newbie

Original charger supplied with macbook was an official apple one. I snapped the head off accidentally, my fault not apples.

Second replacement charger was again an official apple one. This time it literally started coming apart after a couple of weeks. Was so expensive I decided to replace with an unofficial one so...

Borrowed my friend's unofficial one. Worked absolutely 100% perfect.

He needed it back the other week so I ordered the same one he had and I've had it for a week, again working fine.

From what it looks like, I can't believe I basically used my entire life savings on an apple mac (£650...was with a discount!!) when it's literally turned into a brick. I should have just bought a £300 laptop, it may not have been as good and may have gotten viruses every now and then, but at least it would have been cheaper and lasted longer.
    IMHO, apple merks windows at every aspect of the computer. However, such a big fault that i've got (been reported by literally 100's) shouldn't be allowed to happen on such a grand scale, im really dissapointed.

24. Cpup macrumors member

No Reward please

Also, if this does work, please do not give me a reward. Give it to someone else. I help people on this site free. and will continue to do so.