Macintosh Turns 35

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 24, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Today marks the 35th anniversary of Apple's late co-founder Steve Jobs unveiling the original Macintosh.

[​IMG]

Jobs pulled the Macintosh out of a bag during Apple's annual shareholders meeting on January 24, 1984 at the Flint Center in Cupertino, California, grinning from ear to ear as the crowd erupted in applause.

Macintosh's very first words:
    Two days earlier, Apple teased the Macintosh's introduction with its iconic "1984" ad during Super Bowl XVIII on CBS:

And here's a lesser-known video of Jobs introducing the Macintosh to the Boston Computer Society on January 30, 1984:

The original Macintosh was priced at $2,495 in the United States, equivalent to just over $6,000 today, and was a big deal because of its graphical user interface rather than command-line interface. Tech specs included an 8 MHz Motorola 68000 processor, 128 KB of RAM, and a 400 KB floppy disk drive.

Update: Apple CEO Tim Cook has tweeted in celebration of the Macintosh turning 35.

Article Link: Macintosh Turns 35

2. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502

BigBoy2018

35 years. Just about enough time for maybe 5 iterations of the Mac Pro (at the current update pace)

3. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Coming from Apple IIgs and Amiga 2000 the Mac SE addition was boring with no color and painfully slow especially with text scrolling since the BBS scene and early internet were predominantly text. Even the Apple IIe was more enjoyable.

4. meaning-matters, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

My first job was repairing them.
    Was amazed by Apple employee signatures embossed inside the cover.
    Seeing quality and beauty, of course I fell in love with Apple.

5. daveedjackson macrumors member

Wouldn’t it have been a huge marketing event to launch the new MacPro today. Instead, no news, no rumours. No buzz. No interest. Professionals have been jumping ship for several years now after the joke that is the current nMp, with its custom everything, not upgradable or expandable in the slightest. Told it’s the best at launch, then when you’ve prted with your hard money Apple politely say “oops, we designed ourselves into a thermal corner” yeah no kidding. And no one thought to look at this?

I’ve been riddled with problems since day one. I’m yet to have a display which doesn’t glitch. New GFXBench cards and still glitches. Took to store to be told “we don’t have 4K displays to test”. What’s the point.

6. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

And if I see this correctly, Apple is once more ignoring this anniversary.

7. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

No game-changing products from Apple since Timmy took over in 2011. Only some nice accessories (Apple Watch, AirPods, Apple Pencil).

8. otternonsense, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019

otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

It's Apple nowadays that needs a girl in jogging year to throw a hammer through the Infinite Loop cafeteria jumbotron.

Their entire product portfolio right now is the result of corporate groupthink and brazen nickel-and-diming.

Sad how they became everything they were standing against.

1984 was not like 1984 but 2019 is.

9. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Bought and owned my first Mac, an early 2015 MacBook Pro 13 inch in November 2015. Its an awesome computing experience! I always desired owning a Mac, but of course, cost was the issue, not to mention entrenchment in a world of Windows for decades.

I have become such a fan of the platform; in recent times, I managed to pickup two older models for nostalgic purposes: an iBook G3 and a PowerBook G4 15 inch capable of running Mac OS X 10.1 and Mac OS 9.2

I would like to some day get a Macintosh 128 or 512, Plus or SE in good working condition capable of running the earliest System software. Would like to play with some vintage versions of Word and Excel and just really get an actual feel of what its like.

Steve Jobs definitely saw the future of computing and pioneered it with the Macintosh. It’s amazing how much XEROX PARC just never saw the golden opportunity they were sitting on.

I must admit, I am typing this on a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 at the moment, which shows how much my computing has evolved. But the Mac is still a great platform to use. I hope it continues to thrive and although I am least likely to buy one (will play with it in the store), I can’t wait to see the new Mac Pro and Pro Displays this year.

10. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

If that's all you want to do get the free Mini vMac emulator for your phone or tablet. Oh wait, Apple don't allow that but you can run it on your MacBook.

11. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Lmaooo what are you even talking about?

Apple products have always been more expensive than the competition. Apple has always been first to get rid of a port/drive.

The current products are great. Of course there are annoyances, but to say everything they do sucks... Thats just dumb.

12. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Happy birthday, Macintosh. We love you.

It would've been nice if Apple had a surprise planned for today, such as some big, secret announcement. But they've become way too corporate the past few years. Too rigid to have fun.

13. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

35 years old? The trashcan Mac Pro isn’t far behind...

14. djgamble macrumors 6502a

Agreed. They are now the company of spoiled rich kids that hits up their parents for 'upgrades' that are either identical or 99% identical to the previous model (which they already have). Even the software stays largely the same!

Maybe I'm just a nostalgic? However, in the past the leaps were MASSIVE. Every 2-3 years something revolutionary would come out for which I'd pile together all my money, sell my tech gimmicks and get summer jobs to pay for (as a kid).

Now it's just a huge company with Prada kinda status (totally aimed at people with a heavily imbalanced ratio of $$$ to braincells) that figures it can just out-spend everybody on presentation and marketing budgets in order to be caught by the abovementioned market. This is bagging them more money than ever but at what cost? Previously I reckon way more money was spent of design, technology and innovation. Sure this meant more risks, but it also meant better products!!!

15. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

ah, the IIgs—my first Apple product. Great screen for the time period.

16. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Nope. It's not (just) about price. There was a time you could justify the "Apple Tax". Products were pricy but great. Before they started pushing trashy anaemic laptops with awful keyboards and gimmicky emojibars that can't connect to anything out of the box, outdated desktop Macs with default spinning drives in 2019, pre-bent iPads, €1200 phones with no fast chargers and plugs/earpieces that aren't compatible with Macs etc. Apple products had quality, elegance and interoperability other vendors could only dream of.

Not THAT long ago it wasn’t a problem to pay 399 for iPods, 499 for iPhones, 1599 for iMacs and so on. The product lines were clear and each upgrade provided immediate utility and value. Right now they are complicated, annoying and overpriced. That's exactly what got Apple nearly killed in ‘90 before Steve came back.

17. partsofspeech macrumors regular

partsofspeech

Before, Appke cared about giving young people tools for creativity; now Earth and elders a few more years to hang on there.

18. Martius macrumors 6502

Martius

What a sad anniversary in 2019. I hope the 40th will be much happier. Apple needs a new blood, somebody who cares.

19. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

Cook living off of Jobs’ success

20. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Too bad Apple has all but abandoned the current Mac desktops. Disgraceful really. It's like Apple doesn't want to earn significant desktop computing revenue.

And the current Mac Mini is Apple in a nutshell. It's priced as expensive as it could possibly be and represents very poor value for money compared to the competition.

21. scubachap macrumors member

Wow, only 35... Feels a lot more. (Started using a Mac in 1989).

At times a troubled youth, but settled down eventually. Some say life begins at 40 but it looks like it's going off the rails again... Unfortunately this time I suspect it's long suffering friends aren't going to be quite so forgiving...

22. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

It's really disappointing to see Apple's direction with the Mac, nothing else needs to be said...

Q-6

23. pentidoes macrumors 6502

pentidoes

24. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

How many other 35th anniversaries of the Mac have there been?