Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
395
70
Dear all

I'm in the process to think about a new desktop machine. As the new (2020 ?) MacPro won't be an option for me, I'm considering switching from a nMP Late 2013, 12 core, dual D700, 32gb of Ram and 1tb nvme disk to a maxed out macmini with an eGPU.

My main use is photography with Lightroom/Photoshop and video with FCPX. I work with 4K video from Sony A7RIII, DJI Mavic Air and Osmo Pocket.

What do you think about? Will I have problems with eGPU or is a simple plug in process?

I own an LG 32 UHD 4K monitor @ 60Hz. Can I use it with the integrated gpu with no problem at all?

Thanks a lot for any advice.
 

RC12

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2015
34
22
I’m actually going to be doing this exact same thing, except I already sold my Mac Pro. One of my FirePros finally kicked the bucket, even after Apple already replaced them twice. Now I’m just waiting a few days to see if Apple does a slight spec refresh before I pull the trigger.

from everything I’ve read, the eGPU option should be vastly superior to the current Mac Pro set up. You won’t get full capability of whatever GPU you choose, but anything should be better than those horrible FirePros. Just make sure you get a solid enclosure.
 

Queru

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2019
47
34
Don't do it yet, wait until Apple fixes issues with video feed of Mac mini causing it not to work with eGPUs and a lot of monitors. It's new OS related, so hopefully it will be resolved with whatever supplementary update they release.

Tho seeing how retroactive was the damage (downgrading to previous macOS version didn't help) it's probably my last Mac computer.
 
  • Like
Reactions: foliovision

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
395
70
I’m actually going to be doing this exact same thing, except I already sold my Mac Pro. One of my FirePros finally kicked the bucket, even after Apple already replaced them twice. Now I’m just waiting a few days to see if Apple does a slight spec refresh before I pull the trigger.

from everything I’ve read, the eGPU option should be vastly superior to the current Mac Pro set up. You won’t get full capability of whatever GPU you choose, but anything should be better than those horrible FirePros. Just make sure you get a solid enclosure.

The big problem with a macmini machine for me is the slow updating time... Hope they refresh it more often than before.

Another option for me is to buy an eGPU for my macpro but I don't know how a TB2 bus perform in real life. So maybe I can use the box with a macmini in the future.
[automerge]1571917089[/automerge]
Don't do it yet, wait until Apple fixes issues with video feed of Mac mini causing it not to work with eGPUs and a lot of monitors. It's new OS related, so hopefully it will be resolved with whatever supplementary update they release.

Tho seeing how retroactive was the damage (downgrading to previous macOS version didn't help) it's probably my last Mac computer.

Ouch...
 

RC12

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2015
34
22
Don't do it yet, wait until Apple fixes issues with video feed of Mac mini causing it not to work with eGPUs and a lot of monitors. It's new OS related, so hopefully it will be resolved with whatever supplementary update they release.

Tho seeing how retroactive was the damage (downgrading to previous macOS version didn't help) it's probably my last Mac computer.

What exactly has the latest update caused? Do eGPUs just not work reliably anymore? the graphics performance is my biggest concern as I don’t do much video work right now, but I might in the future. I primarily am concerned about the performance with scaled displays. I understand it sucks lol I have 2 4K displays.

so I guess that’ll be a huge bummer if the egpu doesn’t work
 

mrkapqa

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2012
218
27
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
i'd be glad to have a nMP and would not likely to swap it with any mini whatsoever that are out there atm.
how much would you like to get for your MacPro 2013 in case you'd like to part with it? Euros?
 

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
689
489
East Yorkshire, UK
Go for it, I run a triple screen 4K setup with a 6 core i5 mini with Vega 64 eGPU...

B65EFA9F-87CA-4DB2-AC11-8175CB42545D.jpeg
 
  • Like
Reactions: RC12

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
395
70
You have the nMP with two Firepro 700s so your nMP is more then capable. Why would you switch? Do you really need that extra GPU power?

Thinking about it no... I'm a FCPX user and it works fawlessy and now with Catalina and fcpx 10.4.7 more than before.

The big concern is about future operating system support but maybe I can live with it until the third party app drop it or I can find a new macpro at a good price.
[automerge]1572419058[/automerge]
Go for it, I run a triple screen 4K setup with a 6 core i5 mini with Vega 64 eGPU...

What type of work do you do with it?
[automerge]1572419091[/automerge]
i'd be glad to have a nMP and would not likely to swap it with any mini whatsoever that are out there atm.
how much would you like to get for your MacPro 2013 in case you'd like to part with it? Euros?

I have some offer for around 2300 euro.
 

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
395
70
That is actually a reasonable bid. It's still on the lower side but the price might plunge a bit after the MP 7.1 comes out.

That amount will get you pretty far for a Mac mini i7 setup. Personally, I'd go for it.

What is stopping me is the big eGPU box and the fact that maybe for a (not too much) speed boost I can wait the 7.1 base model and think about it...
 

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
689
489
East Yorkshire, UK
Thinking about it no... I'm a FCPX user and it works fawlessy and now with Catalina and fcpx 10.4.7 more than before.

The big concern is about future operating system support but maybe I can live with it until the third party app drop it or I can find a new macpro at a good price.
[automerge]1572419058[/automerge]


What type of work do you do with it?
[automerge]1572419091[/automerge]


I have some offer for around 2300 euro.

I run my own telecoms business so have lots of browsers, spreadsheets, messaging and emails open all the time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CC88

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
544
303
Netherlands
What is stopping me is the big eGPU box and the fact that maybe for a (not too much) speed boost I can wait the 7.1 base model and think about it...

Yes. It kinda defeats the purpose of that small form factor, although if you look at the Mini as more of a Modular Mac Pro you could be running the i7 Mac Mini with 256GB + EGPU chassis with your GPU of choice for less then half the price of that base level Mac Pro 7.1 with RX580 Pro and 256GB.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.