macOS 10.13 All The Little Things!

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Galaxas0, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Zakn macrumors newbie

The status of instalation of high sierra has been : Calculating time remaining for almost 30 minutes now. This is on a 2017 MBP. Is it normal or should I do something ?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just give it time. I just updated my 2016 TB MBP and it took about abut eight minutes to download the installer, then another 50 to complete the install. It sat at the calculating screen for quite a while.

3. Jamovik macrumors member

How do I disable the play/pause button for use in Safari? It messes with my Spotify.

4. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

Just noticed something really cool on the GM. Option-clicking the green window button will Zoom the window, while Option-clicking a second time (twice in a row) will Maximize the window.

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Really surprised on how fast all the apps launch. This alone was worth the upgrade!

6. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

Just some observations after converting SSD to APFS. Downloading a torrent seem much faster than before. Duplicating a file seem to not take up any extra space, not even after altering one of the files.

7. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

8. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

was dead long ago: has been HFS+ for years
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    The changed copy will only occupy a few blocks extra

9. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

So, is HFS+ dead on High Sierra?
    I mean, I suspect backwards compatibility, but the new filesystem is something completely new, and for the years to come?

10. uller6 macrumors regular

uller6

I finally have a boot selection screen on my cylinder Mac Pro with dell P2414 4K display! The aspect ratio is off, but now I can easily select boot camp during the boot process. In all previous OS' I only got a blank screen before booting to the desktop.

11. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Really surprised on how fast all the apps launch. This alone was worth the upgrade!
    Just tried it.. for me option-clicking green resizes it to a windows taking up 1/4 of the screen

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm noticing that also. I have abut a 8GB Photos library that launches much faster than it did on Sierra.

13. bursty macrumors 65816

bursty

Probably already been covered but the touchbar tweaks in High Sierra are awesome! Finally some options while using Chrome and when you touch volume or brightness, the slider stays there until you close it out. Love it

14. profets macrumors 68040

Not sure if this is new or not (didn't see it mentioned anywhere), but is this Wifi sharing part of iOS 11 + macOS 10.13?

A colleague was setting up a new iPhone at the office, and my iMac on 10.13 had this pop up:

wifi share.png

I didn't know that she was in the process of setting up a phone, so I asked her and she said "I'm about to type in the password for wifi". I clicked Share, and her iPhone instantly jumped to the next step.

Small details like this that are really nice.

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It surprised me to see that Library is now a persistent menu item in the Finder Go menu. I was not holding down Option to take this shot.
    Library Menu Item.png
    Still a generic icon for it, but hopefully that will change now that it's no longer hidden most of the time.

16. slagathor001 macrumors regular

Interested in this! I'm listening to a podcast through itunes, and when I'm on safari and hit play/pause, instead of pausing my podcast, it plays a youtube video thats in one of my tabs

17. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Weird. Not seeing it on my end (HS release version, not holding option down)

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Go to Finder settings and check the Show Library Folder option and it will make the Library option appear in the Go menu.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.23.49 AM.png

19. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Still nothing?
    Screenshot 2017-09-26 12.30.24.png

20. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

That option isn't checked here. But I did enable showing hidden files & folders on my Mac, so that could be the reason it shows up for me.

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open Finder then hit command-j to get to the settings window in my screenshot and check it there.

Ah... maybe. If I check and uncheck the box it makes the Go menu Library option appear then disappear. I testd a couple times.

22. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

I did. That's what my screenshot showed – it's in the Command+J settings window, but the option is not there.

23. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

I may have missed it being mentioned...but, a sticky note will now hide the line that separates the title bar from the rest of a note when you switch away from it to another note or app..

note.png

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

On High Sierra? Look at our screenshots... they are not the same. Open Finder then hit command-j.

25. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Yes, the release version. See my new screenshot to show what I mean.
    screenshot.jpg

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.