macOS 10.13 All The Little Things!

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Galaxas0, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I have some personal dmgs. Of course, they are formatted in hfs+.
    Is there any real benefit, of manually recreating them using the apfs system?

2. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

I suggest waiting until the final SuperDuper! 3 is released because beta version likely have bugs, furthermore Apple has documented APFS only partially and until they release the documents supporting it is going to be reverse engineering/guesses which isn't the best idea with backups...

At the moment APFS isn't going to improve hard drives much so conversion is likely premature.

Hard to say for certain because the documentation is parse but my guess is no until Apple releases more information.

3. Jamovik macrumors member

4. slagathor001 macrumors regular

Wow, I can not wait to check this out! High Sierra has totally effed up my AirPod use... Wont pause when I take one out, or double tap... Hopefully this fixes it
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    Oh, I just realized its an application that fixes it... Kind of annoying. Does anyone know if 10.13.1 fixes this problem?

5. thingstoponder macrumors 6502

thingstoponder

I could be wrong but I don't think DMGs have anything to do with file systems. They're just a file format. Am I wrong? I'd love to be enlightened if so.

6. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Yes, you are wrong. They are virtual disk images, each formatted with a file system.

7. CrzyP macrumors 6502

Photo Booth does not support HEIC and HEVC. The little things.

8. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

Time sync: ntpd has been replaced by timed: not the old school unix one, but a new apple invention.

9. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

10. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

QuickLook works with OpenDocument Text (.odt) files

11. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

This one may or may not be obvious. But High Sierra now shares a single (unencrypted) VM volume across system volumes in the same APFS container, whether the system volumes themselves are encrypted or not, which can save quite a bit of space due to the sleep image that a VM volume contains. Since APFS makes it incredibly simple to temporarily add another shared space volume to a container, this reduces some friction involved in quickly setting up another system volume on the same disk as long as you have a little bit of free disk space left. In this example, High Sierra is installed both on Macintosh HD as well as the Testing volume. You can see that the latter barely takes up more than 12GB of space.

apfs.png

12. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

The venerable cal(1) program has been updated. Today's date is highlighted by default, and there is a handy option to show this month and the months before and after.

13. imasterus macrumors regular

imasterus

All the little things.. Yeah.. Until yesterday I didn't know that my MacBook Air was able to boot with the lid being closed! It was on sleep mode without charge on (battery was not dead), and when I plugged in the charger it did reboot one minute later. So much to discover with this High Sierra :)

14. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

15. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.