macOS 10.13 All The Little Things!

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Galaxas0, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

You need to be in your user folder...

2. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Oh, okay. Thanks! I see it now. Didn't realize you had to be IN the user folder.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I figured out what we are doing differently. Open finder them go to your user folder then go to list view, then command-j and you will see the setting screen I showed.

Apparently it is different in icon view like you are using.

Screen_Shot_2017-09-26_at_11_28_27_AM.png

4. bursty macrumors 65816

bursty

After upgrading it seems like Messages stopped autocorrecting contractions. Anyone know why or how to get it back?

5. slagathor001 macrumors regular

Anyone know how to change the new play/pause keyboard thing? Its seriously annoying! Feels like a glitch!

6. ignaciobarrena macrumors regular

ignaciobarrena

Very interested aswell, I HATE this change. By now, the only thing you can do is to send some Feedback to Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Maybe with BetterTouchTool there is something that we can do, but honestly, I hope they remove this 'feature'

7. R2FX macrumors member

OMG! Looks freaking amazing... I can't stand the flattened looks (typing this on OS X 10.9.5) ... will check your thread once I get home tonight

Thank you very much again!

8. slagathor001 macrumors regular

Its so glitchy! Like I click a video in the twitter app, so I hit the pause button on my keyboard to pause iTunes, but it wont pause it... And then I go to the iTunes app and then hit the same button, and it still wont pause it..!

9. ignaciobarrena macrumors regular

ignaciobarrena

Yeah, it’s horrible... But I don’t think Apple will change it so were screwed

10. slagathor001 macrumors regular

And now I'm just realizing that its just as bad if you have a bluetooth device connected (not the AirPods of course...) and hit pause or play on it. Not working for me, even if I'm on iTunes

11. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

External display output via the 460 Pro on my 2016 15" tMBP has much improved sharpness now that I'm on High Sierra. It was noticeably soft under Sierra (to the point where I'd prefer to work in Windows for some things). Really glad this is fixed. It also seems to render a little sharper on the internal display when I'm on the dGPU, too.

12. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Oddly enough, I don't see it/can't find it in the Mac App Store.
    Confused

Never mind . . . I was looking for it in "updates". :oops:

13. Speechless macrumors 6502a

The dedicated Picture in picture button on the touch bar is so amazing I could cry.

14. johnortega562 macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm if any additional wallpapers were included in the OS aside from the default High Sierra one? My MacBook Pro is from Mid '09 so it's not compatible but I wanted to add any of the new wallpapers. Thank you.

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Doesn't look like there are any new ones aside from the default.

16. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

OLDER/OTHER HARD DISKS?
    I have an external hard disk formatted in hfs+/mac os extended/journaled.
    I used it to keep files there, and also taking backups with superduper, as it is formatted in 2 partitions.

Now with the new file system on my mac, what should I do better?
    Of course mac can read and use the disk as always.
    But is it more future proof and trouble free, to make some kind of conversion in my external hard disk?
    Should I go this way, and how this can be done? Or just leave it as is?

17. thingstoponder macrumors 6502

thingstoponder

I did it to both my external 1TB drives. Just go into Disk Utility and on the sidebar do a right click and you'll be able to convert to APFS. Takes about 20 seconds per drive despite my drives being 99 percent full. Super painless and I have no complaints.

18. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Agreed. I like dashboard for the same reasons. Unfortunately it seems to be a bit more broken with every new OS release. For example, it’s very difficult to display an image on the dashboard in Sierra. Not sure about HS as my installation failed.

19. TheOldProf macrumors newbie

TheOldProf

Installed HS 2 days ago. Today activity monitor shows simquald using 180% of cpu. What is it and what is going on?

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't have that process running on HS, so it looks like some third party app/utility you installed. Select it in Activity Monitor and hit command-i to Get Info then click on the right tab Open Files and Ports to see if that helps you figure out what app is launching that process.

21. TheOldProf macrumors newbie

TheOldProf

Thanks for the help. Turned out the offender Was Nortpn Internet Security. Uninstalled the app and everything is back to normal.

22. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Is there any file speed increase in copying/transferring files between APFS disks and other(ntfs/hfs+/APFS) usb connected disks?
    Any real experience and observation on this?

23. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

I have a extern USB hard drive that I use for Time Machine, and another one I use for SuperDuper. I saw that SuperDuper has a beta for APFS support, but I'm still confused.
    Can I change both my external (spinning) drives to APFS, without deleting the content? Should I? Will the backup process be faster if they're APFS?

24. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Do the Touch Bar sliders not auto-hide anymore after manually opening them with a single tap (no tap/drag; no flick). Is this intentional or do I have a bug/bad Touch Bar

25. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I think you can't make superduper backup from internal hard disk(apfs) to external hard disk, if the external hd is not apfs too. So you have to firstly convert it using disk utility. Conversion will not make any harm to your data.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.