Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the new Mac OS be called 10.14 or something else?

Votes: 80 75.5%

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 15 14.2%

• Total voters

Jordan246

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Hi i know we’ve got until june but what predictions do you guys have for macos 10.14 I would like to know what your thoughts are. Please write back. Thanks

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

impreza233

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2017
Hi i know we’ve got until june but what predictions do you guys have for macos 10.14 I would like to know what your thoughts are. Please write back. Thanks
Lack of official support with 2010-2011 Macs? I guess that...

TekAdvice

Suspended
Jan 4, 2018
Just out of curiosity, what does everyone want to see in Mac OS 10.14? What improvements and features are desired for the new OS? Do you think it will be called 10.14 or something else? Also, which Macs should it be compatible for? Do you think Apple should add in a touch screen option for new Macs? Lastly, should iOS and Mac OS be merged to be one operating system for all Apple devices?

new_apple_menu_thumb800.jpg

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Just out of curiosity, what does everyone want to see in Mac OS 10.14? What improvements and features are desired for the new OS?
4K HDR streaming for Netflix and iTunes, but only supporting 2017 Kaby Lake Macs or later.

Do you think Apple should add in a touch screen option for new Macs?
No.

Lastly, should iOS and Mac OS be merged to be one operating system for all Apple devices?
No. Or at least, not yet.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
One thing I can think of beyond bug-fixes would be a full and complete Dark Mode GUI option—one that includes Finder and all app windows along with the menubar and dock they already have.

The only other thing I can think of would be for Apple to add a button to force iCloud to immediately Sync all iCloud services (sync Photos, calendars, contacts, reminders, email, notes and bookmarks).

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I'll take anything as long as they get rid of the flat UI -_- I haven't been this bored with Macs since…. well, ever. When I first came over from the dark side I was aghast at the sexiness of Leopard which only became even more lustful with Snow Leopard.

Lately I feel like I'm using a Windows 10 skin applied over the interface.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I'll take anything as long as they get rid of the flat UI -_- I haven't been this bored with Macs since…. well, ever. When I first came over from the dark side I was aghast at the sexiness of Leopard which only became even more lustful with Snow Leopard.
I can tell you with absolute certainty that the flat UI isn't going to change for 10.14. Beyond that, who knows.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I can tell you with absolute certainty that the flat UI isn't going to change for 10.14. Beyond that, who knows.

Probably right, Jony Ive only just left the UI design team a few months back… but still, its not like Apple holds onto one look forever. We've had this flat look now for FOUR iterations of OS X/macOS, even with the Skeumorphic look they always changed it up every 2-3 releases. Leopard, Snow, Lion all looked one way then with Mountain Lion they altered it into a more graphite look that lasted up until Mavericks.

Last edited:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
At this point, I'm fairly happy with where the OS is. I'm more interested in a MacBook Pro 15" with 32 GB RAM and a better video card then I am in any new OS features.

I would love to have one computer I can dock to a large monitor at the office, and take on the road when I need to, rather than having an iMac for doing the heavy lifting and a MacBook for doing light work on the go. It works, but it's an expensive way to go. The only advantage is that I've always got a backup device that's capable.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'd like to see 10.14 with a focus on security, privacy, malware prevention, speed and stability. No major changes necessary other than the aforementioned incremental improvements.

Hasn’t this really been the slogan for each release since Yosemite?

El Capitan refined it, Sierra refined that, High Sierra was the snow Leapord.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Comparing Snow Leopard to High Sierra is comparing a Ferrari Testarossa to a Ford Pinto. SL had the most gorgeous interface of any version of OS X, it had rich colors, elegant shading and the reflective dock. Everything was refined from Leopard and ran like a well-oiled machine.... of course then Lion came along and broke everything because of course.

Then you've got High Sierra... the same flat UI we've had since Yosemite, just now with an overly-orange desktop. Apple can't even be bothered to fix broken parts of the UI such as the Dark Menubar having no shadow, or the Notification Center being white even in Dark Mode.

On the system side you've got Security flaws being spotted every other week, lots of users having issues with memory leaks and performance issues and flat out bugginess that SHOULD NOT be there for a "Refined Version"

Apple is getting sloppy and their products are becoming ugly. I have no interest in upgrading any Apple product I have anymore and instead strive to achieve the fastest, most compatible versions of old Apple tech I can find.

Last edited:

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
Hasn’t this really been the slogan for each release since Yosemite?

El Capitan refined it, Sierra refined that, High Sierra was the snow Leapord.

And that's fine with me. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just keep making it more bullet proof.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Bring full APFS support for Time Machine and external SSD. Besides updated Apple Mail allowing to handle thousands of messages and manually run all rules at any time with a single click.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I think this year, Apple will release iOS 12 and macOS 10.14. My opinion: next year, when it's time for iOS 13, Apple should use that as an excuse to avoid using 13 and instead, release a brand new OS called "Apple OS 1.0", which will be used for all devices - watches, TV, iPhones, iPads, iPods, and Macs, so all are on the exact same version and will be updated at the same time. Even though this is one single OS, the OS will be "carved out" to match the device, so Macs will still have its full desktop interface and UI, and will not be iOS-ified. iPhones/iPads will still get the same UI. Let next year (2019) be a time for Apple to start fresh with this new OS in time for the new decade, and this year to be the last year for current watchOS, tvOS, iOS, and macOS iterations.

Yeah, that's my predication. As for macOS 10.14, I predict the renaming of iBooks to Books, maybe a better iCloud UI, and hopefully a full redo of System Preferences to look more iPad like (while retaining all options and not being dumbed down), and it being called Settings, to be in sync with the other OSes.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Just out of curiosity, what does everyone want to see in Mac OS 10.14? What improvements and features are desired for the new OS?
  • bug fixes
  • an improved, more consistent Finder
  • OpenGL 4.6 support in some way (could be a compatibility layer for Metal) and/or Vulkan support
  • bug fixes
  • a completely redesigned Mac App Store
  • a completely rewritten and split-up iTunes (i.e. split into dedicated apps for Music, Movies, Books, iOS Apps(!), etc.)
  • bug fixes
  • Photos on par with Aperture
  • bug fixes

Do you think Apple should add in a touch screen option for new Macs?
As a touch screen desktop PC and/or laptop is an ergonomic nightmare: no.

Lastly, should iOS and Mac OS be merged to be one operating system for all Apple devices?
Hell, no.

My opinion: next year, when it's time for iOS 13, Apple should use that as an excuse to avoid using 13 and instead, release a brand new OS called "Apple OS 1.0", …
Why should they do that? Superstition? They didn't shy away from macOS 10.13, so why should they care about releasing iOS 13?

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
  • bug fixes
  • an improved, more consistent Finder
  • OpenGL 4.6 support in some way (could be a compatibility layer for Metal) and/or Vulkan support
  • bug fixes
  • a completely redesigned Mac App Store
  • a completely rewritten and split-up iTunes (i.e. split into dedicated apps for Music, Movies, Books, iOS Apps(!), etc.)
  • bug fixes
  • Photos on par with Aperture
  • bug fixes

As a touch screen desktop PC and/or laptop is an ergonomic nightmare: no.

Hell, no.

Why should they do that? Superstition? They didn't shy away from macOS 10.13, so why should they care about releasing iOS 13?
Hahah, look at how well 10.13 works... unlucky release. SO many exposed security issues and headaches. They wouldn't want to try their luck with iOS 13.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.