Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the new Mac OS be called 10.14 or something else?

Votes: 80 75.5%

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 15 14.2%

• Total voters

Anderton

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Sweden
Mostly Doomsday predictions ;)

Changelog macOS 10.14.0
- csrutil Deprecated: Will now only display the ”System Integrity Protection status Enabled” status message.
- APFS Version 1.0.0 Public Beta
- Finder.app: Removal of features not used by some people.
- Disk Utility.app: Removal of HFS+ support.
- New fonts: P'takh.otf (language support for Klingon), FirstResort.dfont (Part of the Last Resort System Font Hotel Programme)
- 100 new Emoijis including Bear arms & Bear legs
- Music.app: Introducing the best way to listen to your Apple Music songs! Offline support, and local songs will be available in a future update
- AppleScript Support removed
- Quicktime X: Removed support for legacy codecs and containers such as H.264 and MOV.
- Chess.app: Added Siri Support
- Safari: Siri Supported Adblocking Beta 1. ”Siri! Remove all ads on this page”.
- Maps: Added new maps over non essential countries.
- Notes: Added Apple Flavoured Markdown support.
- Terminal.app: New look. Removal of non essential functionality.
- Apple Shell 1.0: Apple Shell replaces BASH as the default shell. Please see: Apple Shell - BASH Compatibility information
- TextEdit: Added Apple Flavoured Markdown support.
- Preview.app: Removed support for legacy formats such as JPEG. Added support for very large HEIC files.
- iCloud: Free tier will now start at 1TB. Will now automatically upload your system during install for security reasons.

Known bugs:
- iTunes.app

Jordan246

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Do you think my mid 2010 13in macbookpro will support Macos 10.14 as long as my late 2016 MacBook Pro without touch bar.

Jerry Fritschle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2004
And about time, too. That framework is ancient in computer years!
Yes and no. Cocoa's heritage goes back to NeXt. Carbon was whipped up to aid developers in the transition from the legacy Mac OS. But I would say it has done its job :)
[doublepost=1519437291][/doublepost]
Another method of segregation might be Metal and non-Metal supporting systems. That pretty much cuts out all pre-2012 machines.
I have read several who speculate that Metal would be the cutoff. However, I am not sure how that would square with whatever 32-bit support is remaining. Oh well, I'm just hoping that they don't cut off my 5,1 cheese grater :)

On a separate note, I vote that they move on in numbering, and call it macOS 11 "Spinal Tap"

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2017
- Bug fixes
- Finder improvement
- APFS improvement
- Marzipan: unified apps for mac & ipad
- Photos improvement

Nothing really new. But don't we prefer a well-finished OS than an OS with new functionalities ?

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
They should delay it whatever it is called - HS will be the last OS to have proper 32 bit support and with the almost forceful way that the next OS is pushed out these days - endless notifications that can't be cancelled without opening the App Store for instance, they will end up with massive consumer dissatisfaction. Re-installing an OS is beyond many (although this is a good source of wine and chocolates for me ;-) ). I would like to see a very polished 10.13.20 etc.

The best scenario would be parallel development 10.13 (old computers & continued security - excellent for the business continuity as well) and rename 10.14 as non-mountain series to indicate the change

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
I'm still on macOS 10.12.6 and have never once been notified about High Sierra. You can turn off App Store notifications.

How do you turn off notifications for the App Store without crippling the other functions - there is no listing in the notifications section of system preferences and notifications are attached to other functions in the App Store preferences. The only way I know is to make a faux install.app and place this in the applications folder - early user friendly.

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
How do you turn off notifications for the App Store without crippling the other functions - there is no listing in the notifications section of system preferences and notifications are attached to other functions in the App Store preferences. The only way I know is to make a faux install.app and place this in the applications folder - early user friendly.
Uncheck "Automatically check for updates" in System Prefs > App Store. You can also hide the High Sierra banner and app updates by right clicking in App Store > Updates.

Ecofritze

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2016
Germany
  1. I would love to see a tiling window manager similar to i3. I think it is obvious that Apple is heading that way: Full Screen and Split Screen on a Mac, which is currently limited to a horizontal split of 2 applications only, as well as the overall iOS "window management".
  2. Also, being able to rename the desktops (without touching the config as in i3) would be a huge benefit.
  3. Improved Notification Center (switching tabs with the mouse is tedious) and Notifications (full-screen or screen-blocking notifications would help me personally to not miss meetings ... ^^)
[doublepost=1519664673][/doublepost]Unless there are major changes, naming it macOS 10.14 is more appropriate and likely than macOS 11.

Last edited:

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
Judging by the latest MacOS 10.13.4 Beta 2 release last night they might drop support for 32bit apps.

fd1920f623b41a1922d235af23a8f34c.jpg

I think I remember Apple saying something about this possibly taking more than just one release of macOS at this past WWDC to the effect that High Sierra would be the last version of it to support 32-bit code 'without compromises,' the next version would drop a certain amount of APIs needed for a non-trivial subset of 32-bit applications to run, and then the next version after that would finish dropping support for 32-bit apps entirely. You're free to double-check that I've remembered this correctly, though.

A fair guess (still just a guess) would be that the first "compromise" would be the removal of Carbon support, which itself has been deprecated for years. 32-bit Cocoa apps might last awhile longer.

And about time, too. That framework is ancient in computer years!

Yes and no. Cocoa's heritage goes back to NeXt. Carbon was whipped up to aid developers in the transition from the legacy Mac OS. But I would say it has done its job :)

Sorry, I should have been clearer about this: I only meant to refer to Carbon.

Last edited:

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Looking forward to the announcement at WDDC but I will not sit on the Edge of my set anymore for Mac OS X Upgrades or even iOS ones.

I haven't seen real upgrades or solid changes to the OS in an exciting way since Snow Leopard.

These are just incremental feature updates, fixing some old bugs and adding some new ones.
My life is not better because of them, on the contrary - the RainBow Color palette and transparency introduced in MAC OS is making my eye tired and I can't take the OS seriously many times when Pokemon's vomit colored windows show up.

Reactions: Rivvvers

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I pretty much want what everyone said on the first page of this post. The flat UI is terrible, and so is stability. I want them to stop this every year release crap, which is the reason why we have so many problems in the first place. The team has to spend all their time making a whole new release while still trying to fix the old one, and then after the new one has been out for 6 months they give up and leave the old one sh*tty.
Look at 10.4, tiger. People considered it pretty buggy at release (clearly they weren't using Windows at the time). It was updated all the way to 10.4.11, because they actually took their time on it, and weren't rushing to get to the next one. It's one of the most stable operating systems I've ever used. I can say the same thing about 10.3 panther, and 10.6 Snow leopard for that matter.
In fact I think tiger was around for quite a few years before 10.5 came around. Windows XP was released around the same time Mac OS X 10.0 came out. Cheeta if I remember. And it was Microsoft's flag ship OS till 2006. One year before leopard. XP started out dreadful, because they crammed all these new features into what was basically Windows 2000, without refining it. Over time they fixed bugs and it became the most widely used OS in the world along with one of the most stable. This is what is happening now with Mac OS, only it never gets refined anymore.
Now I'm not saying apple needs to wait 5 years to release a new one, but they should go back to the old release pattern.
And stop for the love of god dropping so many computers every other release, unless there's a legitimate technical reason, such as architecture changes. There has only been TWO acceptable reasons in the past 10 years for apple to drop a computer from support. Those are: 32bit Intel's (Which they shouldn't have made anyways since G5s were 64 bit), and CPUs without SSE4. That's it. The other computer drops were BS.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
If Scott Forstall was brought back to save Apple then he'd reset the clock back to 10.7 and releases between then and now wouldn't exist. He's also bring back those cuddly skeuomorphics we all know and love.

OS X and iOS have gone for a toss ever since Mr. Forstall left - he was probably the one guy at Apple that was wired similarly to Mr. Jobs. Bertrand Serlet was great too. Federighi and Cue have made a mess of all things software at Apple.

Reactions: ccsicecoke

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Just out of curiosity, what does everyone want to see in Mac OS 10.14? What improvements and features are desired for the new OS? Do you think it will be called 10.14 or something else? Also, which Macs should it be compatible for? Do you think Apple should add in a touch screen option for new Macs? Lastly, should iOS and Mac OS be merged to be one operating system for all Apple devices?

new_apple_menu_thumb800.jpg

I want 3D non-flat look back. If not I'm sticking to 10.9 forever. No more new mac for me

Reactions: Project Alice
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.