Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
I have downloaded the Beta 3 installer, created the USB, patched with BarryKn's micropatcher 0.0.17 and added to the root the Hax3.sh
I followed your instructions and booted from the usb, typed the code for sh Hax3.sh and after I started the install from utilities. Selected the drive and it gave me an error which went away by itself and I have continued with agree and it started to install. Showed 14 min and when it turned to 12, the error appeared again and it told me to retry... That is why I thought that I have to patch it with that 16bg... Which I did execute! So a terminal opened and it started deleting and copying files like crazy! My question to you is: should I re-download the Beta 3 installer and redo the process just using the last 2 codes that you have told me, or I sould just try with what I have? Thank you sir and again sorry...

If you use the micropatcher you don't need "Hax3.sh" just follow that method , anyway next week they should release beta 4 , maybe don't install yet the beta 3, for Ivy Bridge Mac you don't need a patched BaseSystem 16 gb prelinkedkernel fix.

David403

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
USA
that did not go well lol. Booting from efi or option and then picking my Catalina drive only boots to recovery ?

At the end of each of the 4 sections you do need to click on the “Click to Expand” link
for each section and follow ALL the instructions?

You did only have 2 drives, the Catalina drive and the Mojave drive installed in your MacPro when setting it up?

Did you use terminal's diskutil list each time the instructions say to use it (each reboot can change the disk identifiers)? which might result in you 'blessing' the wrong drive

You did reset the SMC? Resetting the SMC ensures that both the Mojave and Catalina drives are seen by OpenCore.

Why would you be booting from Option instead of letting OpenCore's disk selector 'OpenCanopy' give you the OS disks to select from? Using the Option key will fall back to the Apple boot manager. It will negate using Opencore as the bootloader.

If you have followed the instructions correctly and you still boot back into Recovery, Use this to get back in to macOS Catalina/Mojave

In Terminal type:

reboot Catalina

or if you started in Mojave as in the guide

reboot Mojave

...and recheck you have set it up following all the instructions.

You should really now be asking for any further assistance on the "OpenCore on the MacPro MacRumors Forums" and not here.

StormJenkins

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2020
DIAGNOSED AND SOLVED. The reason this happens, is that somehow both Catalina and Big Sur, were somehow changing administrator users, so that they no longer had administrator level clearance. You would end up with not a single administrator on your computer. I tried every solution out there, but they were all useless, until this one. In my case, my internal drive is named "Macintosh HD." If yours is named something else, put that name in where I have written "Macintosh HD," in the following terminal command.

First step. Reboot into Recovery mode, by holding down the Command and R keys. You'll see the four options. Instead go up to the menu and go to terminal.

In terminal type the following (be sure and type a space after rm)

rm “/Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/.applesetupdone.”

then type reboot

You will then be able to create a new user and then enable your existing account to be able to administer the computer. This works.

The first time I tried it, after I picked the names and passwords, it said "creating profile." It ran for a couple of hours, without doing anything. I just did a hard reboot and tried it again. This time it worked.

nandor690

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
At the end of each of the 4 sections you do need to click on the “Click to Expand” link
for each section and follow ALL the instructions?

You did only have 2 drives, the Catalina drive and the Mojave drive installed in your MacPro when setting it up?

Did you use terminal's diskutil list each time the instructions say to use it (each reboot can change the disk identifiers)? which might result in you 'blessing' the wrong drive

You did reset the SMC? Resetting the SMC ensures that both the Mojave and Catalina drives are seen by OpenCore.

Why would you be booting from Option instead of letting OpenCore's disk selector 'OpenCanopy' give you the OS disks to select from? Using the Option key will fall back to the Apple boot manager. It will negate using Opencore as the bootloader.

If you have followed the instructions correctly and you still boot back into Recovery, Use this to get back in to macOS Catalina/Mojave

In Terminal type:

reboot Catalina

or if you started in Mojave as in the guide

reboot Mojave

...and recheck you have set it up following all the instructions.

You should really now be asking for any further assistance on the "OpenCore on the MacPro MacRumors Forums" and not here.
I had to reset the nvram and that fixed it to were i could at least boot into my main drive.
i just need to mess with it more. Open core can’t be much different that chameleon or clover. So I should be able to get it all figured out.
Thanks for the info also!!

Reactions: TimothyR734

Alex-Microsmeta

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2018
Rome
Does Photos6.0 run fine in your case?

Yes it works! Thats's incredible how fast and stable is already this beta 3 on UNSUPPORTED iMac 2013!
Better than Catalina. I could use it in production :)

Attachments

• ecco.png
    ecco.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Reactions: macinfo

Alex-Microsmeta

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2018
Rome
I have recorded a little demo to show you how Big Sur BETA 3 runs on iMac 2013 (iMac14.1)
Now I'll focus back on Mac mini 2010 (Macmini4.1) , to skip error 66 and add internal sounds and ethernet.

Last edited:

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I HAVE A 2011 MAC MINI, AFTER BIG SUR INSTALLATION WITH THE big-on-micropatcher PATCH (Version 0.0.17), THE START DOES WITH CODE LINES rather than THE NORMAL PROGRESSION WITH THE LOGO APPLE.
ON THE SAME SSD I HAVE 3 PARTITIONS (HIGH SIERRA, MOJAVE AND BIG SUR). WHEN STARTING ON THE 3, THE LOGO'S PROGRESS IS REPLACED BY A CODE LINE SCROLL.how to solve THIS problem? Thank you.
Avoid capitalizing, it's rude

Muhammad Faruq

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
Congrats! Have the same MBP mid 2012 13" running Big Sur Beta 2. Can you give a step by step? Much appreciated!

For Working Big Sur Beta 3 On MacBook Pro 13’’ mid 2012

1) First Of all, Create Bootable USB go Big Sur Beta 3 like you would on a supported Mac using ‘’createinstallmedia’’.

2) Then, Download the big-sur-micropatcher Unzip and drag and drop micropatcher.sh into the Terminal window, Enter space and drag and drop the USB Volume into the Terminal window, then press Return.

3) Retart Unsupported Mac Hold Option key And Boot from the USB Installer.

4) Open Terminal (in the Utilities menu), then run /Volumes/Image\ Volume/set-vars.sh

IMG_1479.JPG

5) Close the Terminal And install the Big Sur normally.

6) For working Wifi Retrart your Mac And Again boot from USB installer Again open terminal and run /Volumes/Image\ Volume/patch-kexts.sh /Volumes/<name of Big Sur volume where you installed Big Sur>, for example /Volumes/Image\ Volume/patch-kexts.sh /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

IMG_1480.JPG

7) Retart your Mac and you will see working wifi, Airdrop and Bluetooth.

furdi

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2019
Bucharest, Romania

1) First Of all, Create Bootable USB go Big Sur Beta 3 like you would on a supported Mac using ‘’createinstallmedia’’.

2) Then, Download the big-sur-micropatcher Unzip and drag and drop micropatcher.sh into the Terminal window, Enter space and drag and drop the USB Volume into the Terminal window, then press Return.

4) Open Terminal (in the Utilities menu), then run /Volumes/Image\ Volume/set-vars.sh

View attachment 939718

6) For working Wifi Retrart your Mac And Again boot from USB installer Again open terminal and run /Volumes/Image\ Volume/patch-kexts.sh /Volumes/<name of Big Sur volume where you installed Big Sur>, for example /Volumes/Image\ Volume/patch-kexts.sh /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

View attachment 939719

Thank you very much for your reply! I will do it now and get back to you.

nandor690

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
What is the method that most people are using in order to be able to use the Sudo mount -uw / command.
Also, is there a patch to get night shift working again in Big Sur?
[automerge]1596378077[/automerge]

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
I made a simple additional fix using the ASentientBot HaxLib.dylib to use (without usbopencore) a stock createinstallmedia USB BigSur Installer (patched from BigSur beta3 with BigSur 16gb BaseSystem prelinkedkernel fix.zip) to allow legacy USB mac to install through Utilities "Install macOS", unzip this attached (copy the two files on the USB without the subfolder) on the root of the USB BigSur Installer, then boot from the USB Installer (patched with BaseSystem fix), open terminal and type:

Code:
cd /Volumes/I*/

sh Hax3.sh

or

/Volumes/I*/Hax3.sh

close and from Utilities menu open the "Install macOS" (the circle BigSur icon), now volumes should be selectable and legacyUSB mac eligible to install or update a BigSur installation (credit to ASentientBot for HaxLib.dylib).

For non-APFS mac I guess they still need to use USBopencore to continue the stage2 installer "macOS Installer", while also APFS but legacy USB mac should use this method to install or update BigSur on internal SATA disk (because if you are updating an external USB disk I guess the SharedSupport.dmg on stage2 will copy a stock BaseSystem again or maybe not).

This worked through the actual installation but left the installed Big Sur unbootable without moving PlatformSupport.plist aside and adding the custom com.apple.Boot.plist and patched boot.efi to /Volumes/Preboot/*/S*/L*/CoreServices and the uncompressed prelinkedkernelb3penryn.zip into /Volumes/Preboot/*/S*/L*/PrelinkedKernels.
The resulting installation is unsealed but still has a snapshot blocking 'sudo umount -uw /'. One issue with the the 'BigSur 16gb BaseSystem prelinkedkernel fix' that I noticed was that, when executed from a Big Sur installation where the AppleHDA.kext and IO80211Family.kext had been downgraded to the High Sierra and Catalina versions respectively, those copies in S/L/E are ignored and not used in recreating the basesystem.dmg. This means that one has to either completely remove the snapshots or use mount and bless to replace those kext in a mounted snapshot in order to get wifi and sound working on a MacPro 3,1.
IMHO, the big problem we still have is creating an installation that can reliably rebuild the prelinked kernel for every user. Otherwise, the first time someone tries to install a package with a kernel extension, it will result in an unusable prelinked kernel being built.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
This worked through the actual installation but left the installed Big Sur unbootable without moving PlatformSupport.plist aside and adding the custom com.apple.Boot.plist and patched boot.efi to /Volumes/Preboot/*/S*/L*/CoreServices and the uncompressed prelinkedkernelb3penryn.zip into /Volumes/Preboot/*/S*/L*/PrelinkedKernels.
The resulting installation is unsealed but still has a snapshot blocking 'sudo umount -uw /'. One issue with the the 'BigSur 16gb BaseSystem prelinkedkernel fix' that I noticed was that, when executed from a Big Sur installation where the AppleHDA.kext and IO80211Family.kext had been downgraded to the High Sierra and Catalina versions respectively, those copies in S/L/E are ignored and not used in recreating the basesystem.dmg. This means that one has to either completely remove the snapshots or use mount and bless to replace those kext in a mounted snapshot in order to get wifi and sound working on a MacPro 3,1.
IMHO, the big problem we still have is creating an installation that can reliably rebuild the prelinked kernel for every user. Otherwise, the first time someone tries to install a package with a kernel extension, it will result in an unusable prelinked kernel being built.

After USB BigSur installation should be reapplied the prelinkedkernel fix or you could try USBOpenCoreAPFSloader3b.app.zip using the option "near an USB device without erasing" (targeting directly an USB BigSur Installer), that allows to boot a non-APFS legacy USB BigSur installation through an external EFI bootloader.

You were right about the fact that even patching a BaseSystem renaming apfs_sealvolume and apfs_systemsnapshot those are copied again on a stock BaseSystem (unpackaged from SharedSupport.dmg) during the stage2 installer, so currently non-APFS or legacy USB mac can install on internal SATA disk (not yet on external USB disk), anyway that BaseSystem fix is still experimental but you can copy on the root of USB Installer any post patch files (example the micropatcher) and from USB BigSur Installer you could update a previous BigSur installation, while from normal booting with Hax3 I guess you can only make a clean install .

Last edited:

furdi

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2019
Bucharest, Romania

View attachment 939718

View attachment 939719

Thank you very much for your help! It worked amazing! All good, wifi, airdrop and bluetooth working! Much appreciated!!!

nandor690

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
After USB BigSur installation should be reapplied the prelinkedkernel fix or you could try USBOpenCoreAPFSloader3b.app.zip using the option "near an USB device without erasing" (targeting directly an USB BigSur Installer), that allows to boot a non-APFS legacy USB BigSur installation through an external EFI bootloader.

You were right about the fact that even patching a BaseSystem renaming apfs_sealvolume and apfs_systemsnapshot those are copied again on a stock BaseSystem (unpackaged from SharedSupport.dmg) during the stage2 installer, so currently non-APFS or legacy USB mac can install on internal SATA disk (not yet on external USB disk), anyway that BaseSystem fix is still experimental but you can copy on the root of USB Installer any post patch files (example the micropatcher) and from USB BigSur Installer you could update a previous BigSur installation, while from normal booting with Hax3 I guess you can only make a clean install .
This new thing Big Sur is doing with these snapshots confuses me on what’s actually going on. I just know it means I can’t use sudo mount -uw /. This app that you linked in your reply; does that get used on the working installation of macOS Big Sur to fix the deal with the snapshots? Or is this just for the install usb?

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
This new thing Big Sur is doing with these snapshots confuses me on what’s actually going on. I just know it means I can’t use sudo mount -uw /. This app that you linked in your reply; does that get used on the working installation of macOS Big Sur to fix the deal with the snapshots? Or is this just for the install usb?

Using the commands in BigSur 16gb BaseSystem prelinkedkernel fix.zip and then HaxfixUSB.zip files will get you a complete installation on an unsealed volume. As I mentioned earlier, the resulting install is non-functional until you repeat the usual steps of moving aside PlatformSupport.plist, adding com.apple.Boot.plist, replacing boot.efi and then installing the uncompressed prelinkedkernelb3penryn.zip. Effectively, we still need a postinstall patcher program to perform those steps. Beyond that, the current experimental changes to the Big Sur installer doesn't downgrade the installed copies of AppleHDA.kext and IO80211Family.kext for legacy audio and wifi. That also should be folded into a postinstall patcher program. If you don't want to try to remove the snapshots, you can replace those by mounting the snapshots with...

mkdir /tmp/mntpoint
sudo mount o nobrowse -t apfs /dev/diskXsY /tmp/mntpoint
sudo mount -uw /tmp/mntpoint
(copy the kext to /S*/L*/E* with ditto and 'chmod -R 755' and 'chown -R root:wheel' them)
cd ~
sudo bless --folder /tmp/mntpoint/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
(reboot)

Note: diskXsY is the active root snapshot that 'mount' shows such as disk7s5s1.

This will make the mounted snapshot which had the file changes into the default root after the reboot.

The big problem right now is that very few people seem able to reproduce the art of rebuilding prelinked kernels on unsupported machines such that legacy usb still works. That needs to be sorted so that it is routinely working for everyone on their own machines.

gosvamih

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2019
Russia
I installed Big Sur 3rd beta on a macbook6,1 using OpenCore 0.6.0 latest commit, with custom USB legacy kext, board-id spoofing to iMac 14.4, telemetrap.kext and an non patched Big Sur installer. It was easy. here are absolutely no problems with completely disabling SIP, boot arguments, or USB ports during installation with this approach. During installation, after the first reboot, I booted into Catalina and set the "DoNotSeal = True" parameter in UpdateOption.plist.

After installation, I downloaded the required kexts from here ( thanks to @Barry K. Nathan for his patcher), And I slightly changed his script to install these kexts to adapt it only to MacBook 6.1.

Снимок экрана 2020-08-03 в 00.12.48.png

(patched AppleGraphicsPowerManagment and IOPlatformPluginFamily kexts - for speedstep and pm if iMac14,4 spoofing is used. )

I didn’t need a universal solution, and I added automatic deletion of previous snapshots before installation, in order to repeat the installation without increasing snapshot number. I named this slightly revamped script "pushK" to avoid typing too many letters.
IMG_0294.JPG
475440_Snimok_ehkrana_2020-08-02_v_09.43.24.png

USB, WiFi, LAN, Tesla acceleration, sound, camera work. Dragging and dropping windows is really laggy, and video playback is also worse than in Catalina. But there is no need to reduce transparency at all. No crashes.

I have a question for jackluke. I saw he somehow solved the problem of disappearing icons in the dock in a light theme, and also my text disappears in the Safari browser. When I type it myself. Is this somehow possible to solve?

Attachments

• AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip
    160 KB · Views: 144
  • IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.zip
    468.8 KB · Views: 143
  • BigSur_Install_OC_060.zip
    54.4 KB · Views: 114
  • pushK.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

MacHacJac

Suspended
Jun 28, 2020
Successfully installed on 2011 MBP with barrykn's micro patcher with confirmed WiFi, sound, graphics, everything! Can someone help me figure out my menu bar though! It is not visible on the right side (see attached pic). The strange thing is when I click in that area, something like
Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 6.49.56 PM.png
wifi pops up, so stuff is there, it's just not visible.

EDIT: In dark mode, I see the icons. I think it's the reduce transparency bejunkle. Can someone please post the reducetransparencyfix? I can't find it.

EDIT 2: Dark mode runs 3x faster than light. For any users who think light mode is slow, try dark. You'll thank me later.

Last edited:

marcelovbcfilho

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2020
Successfully installed on 2011 MBP with barrykn's micro patcher with confirmed WiFi, sound, graphics, everything! Can someone help me figure out my menu bar though! It is not visible on the right side (see attached pic). The strange thing is when I click in that area, something like View attachment 939896 wifi pops up, so stuff is there, it's just not visible.

EDIT: In dark mode, I see the icons. I think it's the reduce transparency bejunkle. Can someone please post the reducetransparencyfix? I can't find it.

EDIT 2: Dark mode runs 3x faster than light. For any users who think light mode is slow, try dark. You'll thank me later.
So happy to know that my 2011 15" MacBook Pro will work with big sur, for now I'll just await the dosdude patcher and the official release e.e Thanks man <3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.