Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
@jackluke The Apple default Boot Manager freeze when I spoof my Machine to a supported Big Sur machine. Any reasons why does this happen?

Which opencore setup are you using ? (config.plist)

Are you sure that the config.plist xml syntax is correct ?

The spoofing has effect only picking opencore, when you power-off and power-on again there is no spoof.

Maybe some spoofed supported mac are incompatible with some mac hardware, so you should try more than one.

Minh_Ton

macrumors member
May 15, 2019
Hue, Vietnam
Which opencore setup are you using ? (config.plist)

Are you sure that the config.plist xml syntax is correct ?

The spoofing has effect only picking opencore, when you power-off and power-on again there is no spoof.

Maybe some spoofed supported mac are incompatible with some mac hardware, so you should try more than one.

I’m sure that the syntax is correct. And I tried a lot of Macs from the MB7,1 up to some 2015 models ? and still freezing when selecting the bootloader.

Reactions: TimothyR734

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Success in overcoming the "firmware update" hurdle by spoofing my MBP5,2 as MB7,1!
Installation of BS to my external SSD has begun...

Now the BigSur installer stages are different from Catalina, they are more similar to HighSierra or Mojave OTA updates, if you cannot continue the staged installer, means that you are installing on external USB disk, so you should try instead to install on internal disk.

And after the installation completes you can remove the MacBook7,1 spoofing from config.plist .
[automerge]1593358497[/automerge]
This is my config.plist (USBOpenCoreAPFSloader3)

The config file seems correct, which machine do you have ?

edit: No, wait there is a typo you don't closed the xml function:

<dict>
<key>SystemProductName</key>
<string>MacBook7,1</string>
<key>SystemSerialNumber</key>
<string></string>
<dict/>

you have to use this </dict>

edit this way:

<dict>
<string></string>
</dict>

Last edited:

JohnDoe12

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2017
Thank you everyone! I got Big Sur running on a different partition on my late 2012 13" MacBook Pro!

As promised, let me update you on the WiFi situation. I previously upgraded the WiFi card to the 2013 MBP card (bought from Amazon), so that I could use the Apple Watch unlock feature. As a result, my WiFi worked perfectly out the box, even though on this MBP you supposedly need to use the patch. So if anyone wants to permanently avoid WiFi issues, upgrading the card might work ;).

1593358596934.png

Minh_Ton

macrumors member
May 15, 2019
Hue, Vietnam
Now the BigSur installer stages are different from Catalina, they are more similar to HighSierra or Mojave OTA updates, if you cannot continue the staged installer, means that you are installing on external USB disk, so you should try instead to install on internal disk.

And after the installation completes you can remove the MacBook7,1 spoofing from config.plist .
[automerge]1593358497[/automerge]

The config file seems correct, which machine do you have ?

edit: No, wait there is a typo you don't closed the xml function:

<dict>
<string></string>
<dict/>

you have to use this </dict>

edit this way:

<dict>
<string></string>
</dict>

Oh that’s the reason why. Thank you!

edit: Don’t know why Wifi/Bluetooth/iSight are no working when spoofing the Mac to another model....

Last edited:

Bravo2zero

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2013
Sheffield
Heres how I would install Big Sur on a Mac mini Late 2012 (Catalina Required!)

1. Download InstallAssistant.pkg from http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...kxzj3zjshu1srsh4n74a41n4/InstallAssistant.pkg

2. Download hax.dylib and copy to home folder https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/really-simple-installer-hack-zip.926156/

3. Boot in recovery and disable sip with the " csrutil disable " command

4. Boot back into Catalina and open terminal then run " sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.libraryvalidation.plist DisableLibraryValidation -bool true "

5. Then Run " launchctl setenv DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES $PWD/Hax.dylib " in same terminal window

6. Then Run " sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" "

7. Open macOS Big Sur Installer

8. Patch WiFi using https://medium.com/@andv/making-wif...d-macs-with-failed-with-66-error-36c98e3f7965

9. You're done!
[automerge]1593251973[/automerge]
View attachment 928262
Aiming for success on 2012 Mac mini!

I have the late 2012 MM and have followed the instructions here and installed on a USB drive then to the 2nd SSD in the machine. It installs how it should which takes about 25mins ect... then on reboot i'm greeted with the No Entry symbol then the machine turns itself off.

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland

Right! I rebooted via OpenCore to macOS Installer and it shows the usual signs of not being able to access the USB disk.
I'll swap disks to leave my (now internal) production disk untouched, and see how installation proceeds.

Attachments

• IMG_4235.JPG
    IMG_4235.JPG
    374.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4236.JPG
    IMG_4236.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 143

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
SIP disabled and Authenticated Root also disabled but I am still getting error 66. Another weird thing my test drive shows greyed out. When I choose the drive it says disabled and looks Not mounted. But system working. How can I enable this drive? Also, I looked to diskutil list and I saw there is a snapshot it is possible to delete this snapshot drive or is it necessary?

View attachment 928707 View attachment 928708 View attachment 928709 View attachment 928710
View attachment 928717

You should delete the BigSur snapshots to use "sudo mount -uw /" , try this: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...unsupported-macs-thread.2242172/post-28603788
[automerge]1593360936[/automerge]
Oh that’s the reason why. Thank you!

edit: Don’t know why Wifi/Bluetooth/iSight are no working when spoofing the Mac to another model....

Because when spoofing mac some hardware configuration change, if you want them working you should rebuild kextcache, but it's not advisable, because the spoofing is mainly required to install a macOS unsupported version, after installation remove the spoofing from config.plist , just set UpdateSMBIOS false.
[automerge]1593361041[/automerge]
Right! I rebooted via OpenCore to macOS Installer and it shows the usual signs of not being able to access the USB disk.
I'll swap disks to leave my (now internal) production disk untouched, and see how installation proceeds.

Yes, you need this step (swap disk to use as internal disk) because currently I found a way to use LegacyUSBInjector.kext only on a BigSur installation, not yet for USB BigSur Installer and the stage2 installer in your case is an USB BigSur installer on the root disk, but you already knew this.

When you complete the BigSur install, to use it with responsive legacy IOUSB you need this additional step, to edit your /Volumes/Preboot/UUID-BigSur/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

to use the prelinkedkernel (because opencore current 0.59 version can only use the prelinkedkernel to apply patches)

XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Kernel Cache</key>
    <string>System\Library\PrelinkedKernels\prelinkedkernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>-no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

After you changed this, boot from usbopencore, from opencore menu click CMD+S select the BigSur volume, then from single user mode type "exit" to continue booting.

Last edited:

legsp

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2020
Hey-- I was able to install Big Sur on an early 2013 15'' Retina MacBook Pro (10,1). A few key points for whoever is trying:

* Tried upgrading from my Catalina install. Install went fine and I was able to boot, but since I had FileVault turned on, all kinds of problems turned up: Big Sur wasn't able to find/access the user token for my encrypted drive, so anything I tried to do on terminal (like mount -uw /) resulted in an error
* Then upgraded from a clean Catalina install, everything great but no wifi.
* When trying to install the patched wifi kext, got error 66 at first, but then deleted snapshots and booted from live volume and it went great-- wifi is working (with a minor issue)
* The minor issue is that it connects but it won't list available networks when I click on it. Anybody got a clue why this is happening?
* Another minor issue: whenever I click on anything on the status bar (wifi, airplay, control centre) I get a spinning beach ball for a second or two before the menu pops-up. Anybody experiencing this? Anybody got a clue why this is happening?

Otherwise, things went kind of smoothly. Just came here to thank the community for the effort! Thanks!

Reactions: webg3

MacGuy2020

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2020
Late 2013 21" iMac.
Everything works... WiFi, my third party SSD (Samsung Evo 860) and no issues with HW acceleration for the graphics.

View attachment 928187
Mine too.

Followed basic steps to disable Library validation, used HAXDIB and Updated Catalina to BigSur. Natively, Every single thing works just better than Catalina. Late 2013 iMac 21.5"
[automerge]1593365837[/automerge]
Everything Works NATIVELY. Updated Catalina to Big Sur. Late 2013 iMac 21.5"
Superb!!!!! Why Apple doesn't support this Mac by default is my first question!!!
[automerge]1593366095[/automerge]
Mine too.

Followed basic steps to disable Library validation, used HAXDIB and Updated Catalina to BigSur. Natively, Every single thing works just better than Catalina. Late 2013 iMac 21.5"
[automerge]1593365837[/automerge]
Everything Works NATIVELY. Updated Catalina to Big Sur. Late 2013 iMac 21.5"
Superb!!!!! Why Apple doesn't support this Mac by default is my first question!!!

STEPS

1. Download InstallAssistant.pkg from http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...kxzj3zjshu1srsh4n74a41n4/InstallAssistant.pkg

2. Download hax.dylib and copy to home folder https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/really-simple-installer-hack-zip.926156/

3. Boot in recovery and disable sip with the " csrutil disable " command

4. Boot back into Catalina and open terminal then run " sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.libraryvalidation.plist DisableLibraryValidation -bool true "

5. Then Run " launchctl setenv DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES $PWD/Hax.dylib " in same terminal window

6. Then Run " sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" "

7. Open macOS Big Sur Installer

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 11.06.23 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 11.06.23 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 198
Last edited:

MacHacJac

Suspended
Jun 28, 2020
Does anyone know if the method MacGuy2020 works on a 2011 MBP? Are there any issues with that? And should I run InstallAssistant.pkg BEFORE the next steps? Sorry I sound so clueless but I want to do this right...

ASentientBot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2018
SkyLight.framework
You're right, if you could clone a BigSur installation on external or internal APFS disk, that method would work to boot BigSur on an "El Capitan supported Mac".

While about installing from an USB BigSur Installer the limit are the IOUSB legacy (currently I only added them to a BigSur installation not to the Installer), as also @jhowarth noticed

an "Unsupported HighSierra Mac", even correctly loading the Hax.dylib, get that message of firmware upgrade when selecting the Volume where install BigSur, now, if you can't get a cloned BigSur installation, there are two possible fix to install directly on "El Capitan Mac":

1) @ASentientBot might try to improve his Hax.dylib to ignore that message for non-APFS mac

2) Booting Catalina (or Mojave) through USBOpenCoreAPFSloader3 but spoofing to a supported BigSur Mac (or maybe spoofing to MacBook7,1 that is a supported HighSierra APFS Mac) and then use the "Install macOS Beta.app"

I could provide a config.plist for the second method, but I am really not yet sure how EFI firmware updates are handled from BigSur, while ASentientBot method is more safer.

@hvds try to edit your config.plist spoofing your MBP5,2 as MacBook7,1 and through opencore booting Catalina, insert the Hax.dylib and check if you can install BigSur.
Looks like you guys already got this sorted, but it was a simple fix for the "Hax.dylib" thing if anybody with a non-APFS Mac would like to test this. Please report your results if anyone uses it!

Attachments

• i really need to come up with a less silly name for this.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 381

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
Looks like you guys already got this sorted, but it was a simple fix for the "Hax.dylib" thing if anybody with a non-APFS Mac would like to test this. Please report your results if anyone uses it!

What are the correct steps for using this new version now that it has been changed from a dylib into an application?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have the late 2012 MM and have followed the instructions here and installed on a USB drive then to the 2nd SSD in the machine. It installs how it should which takes about 25mins ect... then on reboot i'm greeted with the No Entry symbol then the machine turns itself off.

In the post you quoted there's a step you might have missed...
*6. Then Run " sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" "
(What it does is it's skipping the compatibility check, thus allowing it to boot)

*Since you can't do this in your running system, it has the stop sign, run this command in Recovery...so
startup in recovery, then open terminal in recovery, IIRC it's under tools in the menu bar, input the command then restart.

I too had this, a simple command corrects this, no issue thereafter besides Wifi not working on my 2012 MM and the usual bugs in (a) B(eta O)S.

Off topic...someone should ask Craig Federighi this question, W(ho)TF came up with the B(ig)S(ur) name.

Last edited:

Bravo2zero

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2013
Sheffield
In the post you quoted there's a step you might have missed...
*6. Then Run " sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" "
(What it does is it's skipping the compatibility check, thus allowing it to boot)

*Since you can't do this in your running system, it has the stop sign, run this command in Recovery...so
startup in recovery, then open terminal in recovery, IIRC it's under tools in the menu bar, input the command then restart.

I too had this, a simple command corrects this, no issue thereafter besides Wifi not working on my 2012 MM and the usual bugs in (a) B(eta O)S.

Off topic...someone should ask Craig Federighi this question, W(ho)TF came up with the B(ig)S(ur) name.

I think i know where i've gone wrong , step 6 has the double " at the end. I have coppied this basically

sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check

and not inserted the last " which i'm guessing is the problem. I'll have a crack at it again tomorrow when i've had a rest from it LoL.

As for wifi i'm not too bothered as the mini is hardwired to a airport

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
What are the correct steps for using this new version now that it has been changed from a dylib into an application?

Nevermind. I see that now you have buried the dylib in the Hex3.app and automated the commands for its use. I can confirm that on my ROM patched MacPro 3,1 it allows the APFS volume to be seen. Unfortunately, my only spare drive at the moment is usb so I can't test further until we get the USB legacy patch embedded in the installer.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I think i know where i've gone wrong , step 6 has the double " at the end. I have coppied this basically

sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check

and not inserted the last " which i'm guessing is the problem. I'll have a crack at it again tomorrow when i've had a rest from it LoL.

As for wifi i'm not too bothered as the mini is hardwired to a airport

yup, should be ... sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"

Without the dots before sudo ;)

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland
Thank you! I‘m happy to try it tomorrow.
For now I‘m impressed with what Opencore and spoofing can do.
My MBP5,2 doesn‘t boot BS yet though, and I‘ll repeat the installation anyway.
jackluke, observations I‘ll also send only tomorrow. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.