Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jazo97

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2020
What's your setup? I have MBP 15" retina 2012, (OCLP 0.3.1), and the link opens perfectly in Safari using both the integrated and the dedicated graphics
Do I need to install the Post-Install Volume Patch?

Update..... MBP 9,1 Working Big Sur 11.6.1 OCLP šŸ•ŗšŸ½šŸ•ŗšŸ½

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 8.28.55 PM.png

Last edited:

ghost82

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2019
First of all, many thanks to all developers, and to all that are helping users in the forum!
Yesterday it was time to switch from catalina to big sur on my old macbook pro 4,1 15"!
Used oclp and all was good with big sur 11.6.1, however I still have a small issue, I wasn't able to solve it in catalina too, with the built in trackpad:

It is recognized in some way, and attached to the usb bus, cursor moves and left click are ok, but I cannot use the two fingers+click as the "right click".

Product id: 0x0230
Vendor id: 0x05ac

In system preferences I have no options in "mouse" (waiting for bluetooth mouse or connect a mouse), nor in "trackpad" (waiting for a bluetooth trackpad --> update: this is because of missing battery), this was an issue also with disabling the "natural scrolling", solved with a terminal command.

Any way to enable the "two fingers+click"?Maybe with a third party kext?

Many thanks again.

Last edited:

Tony Vee 73

macrumors member
May 16, 2020
Staten Island, NY
Hello Everyone. I just did an OTA update on my 2010 MBP6,2.

A few weirds things are happening.
-I can't connect to an external display
-I can't adjust the brightness of my display
-It doesn't seem like the computer goes to sleep

I originally used Open Core Legacy Patcher 2.4 to install Big Sur on this laptop and I've done a 2 or 3 OTA updates with no issues. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
For me, I updated the OCLP to 3.1 and reinstalled the Post-Instal Volume Patch and it fixed my issues. Thanks for your help @TigerA

Last edited:

webg3

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Do I need to install the Post-Install Volume Patch?

Update..... MBP 9,1 Working Big Sur 11.6.1 OCLP šŸ•ŗšŸ½šŸ•ŗšŸ½

View attachment 1905306

No, definitely not! You don't need a post-install patch for Intel HD Graphics 4000, only if you installed Monterey you need it, macOS Big Sur already has Intel HD Graphics graphics card drivers.

Reactions: trifero

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I run into a little odd situation
OCLP 0.31 on Mac Pro 5.1 and Big Sur 11.6.1, RX560
All run perfectly
until I booted once into the 11.6.1 Recovery dmg

now I got the prohibited Sign and text "support.apple.com/mac/startup"

pram reset, smc reset, no change

anyone with useful hints what had botched the installation?

edit: I did the obvious steps:

- Booted into a supported system
- Edited config.plist to get verbose screen
- booted again into 11.6.1
(have seen the expected: invalid platform. But Board ID of Mac Pro 7,1 (!) )
- scratched head
- added -no_compat_check to boot-args

now it run, booted Big Sur again.

But why? Wiped ESP and built OCLP 0.31 folder again before, no change.

Why on earth do I need -no_compat_check now on the exactly same setup when spoofing MP7,1 Board ID. I have updated 11.6 to 11.6.1 with this Bootloader and booted about 10 times Big Sur 11.6.1

Last edited:

lukethemore

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2019
Milano (Italy)
I updated my two MacPro 5.1 and my Mac Mini 6.2 using the 0.3.1 version

Everything worked great at the first try: no problems at all ... 11.6.1 on all of them

I would you like to thanks all the guys that are working on OpenCore Legacy Patcher project

Moett

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
Hello.
I have an imac 27 2011.
High sierra is now installed.
Replaced the video card with K3100m. it works, but the brightness is low.
I will install Big Sur. I want to install the current version of Photoshop.
I didn't understand
do I need to have OC and OCLP? or is OCLP enough?

cMP MACPRO

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
Hello.
I have an imac 27 2011.
High sierra is now installed.
Replaced the video card with K3100m. it works, but the brightness is low.
I will install Big Sur. I want to install the current version of Photoshop.
I didn't understand
do I need to have OC and OCLP? or is OCLP enough?
I would recommend using OCLP. Just build it and install it. Then install Big Sur and thatā€™s it.

cMP MACPRO

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
Does anyone have a fully functioning Mac Pro 4.1 with Monterey 12.0.1 and OCLP 0.3.1 internal? It's only like this for me with Big Sur 11.6.1, so far everything has been going well without any problems.

Attachments

• 923FE50B-9A5B-49FC-AF49-7A8EACC97389.jpeg
    923FE50B-9A5B-49FC-AF49-7A8EACC97389.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 167962EF-D091-4BF4-8887-CD7403955830.jpeg
    167962EF-D091-4BF4-8887-CD7403955830.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 53

Moett

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
There is a program on GitHub. Itā€™s called monitor control and it allows you to control your brightness with the keyboard also. Monitorcontrol GitHub.
brightness adjustment works.
After replacing the graphics card, the maximum brightness became low. as if 50% of the original.

davemp88

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2020
Throwin out a Hail Mary here, because Iā€™m pretty sure what Iā€™m gonna have to end up doing but; even though my 2012 A1278 MBP was running fine, I wanted to update it with the latest updates from OCLP, but I think when I either toggled ā€œAllow OpenCore on Native modelsā€ to Y or one of the developer settings I may have changed, but I see my disk there but now my MacBook wonā€™t boot up. It just goes from the boot-picker screen with my current OS info on it, and when I click on it, it just takes me to the support/apple.com Grey Circle with a Line Through It. Does anyone know how I can get it to load my OS again without me having to erase and reinstall all the way from macOS X? (Also my usb flash drive I believe is broken so Iā€™m gonna have to do this all from commands.) SOMEONE PLEASE tell me I can load up my OS running Big Sur, because I have a time of apps and stuff that I DO NOT, and MAY NOT be able to re-download. **URGENT:pLEASE ADVISE**

Thank you guys!
-Dave

davemp88

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2020
**ALSO, I have my iCloud stuff backed up but Iā€™m pretty sure I told iCloud not to backup my applications when it does backups cuz it was taking up too much space each time

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
**ALSO, I have my iCloud stuff backed up but Iā€™m pretty sure I told iCloud not to backup my applications when it does backups cuz it was taking up too much space each time
Sorry, get an cheap external usb connected 100 GB+ disk prepared with a native macOS version like Catalina in your case. Keep this as emergency boot device in case you delete or misconfigure your OpenCore.

You can also keep an internal 50GB partition just holding Catalina. This might be the best alternative until Catalina support ends. There is always the chance your 2012 device may get a final firmware update. You need to keep a supported macOS to install it.

Reactions: hvds and trifero

davemp88

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2020
Sorry, get an cheap external usb connected 100 GB+ disk prepared with a native macOS version like Catalina in your case. Keep this as emergency boot device in case you delete or misconfigure your OpenCore.

You can also keep an internal 50GB partition just holding Catalina. This might be the best alternative until Catalina support ends. There is always the chance your 2012 device may get a final firmware update. You need to keep a supported macOS to install it.
Is there anyway to do it without the USB cuz I can see my disk in the boot picker menu it just goes right to that support screen after. If I had another Mac I could yes use another usb flash to put OCLP on it and boot from that, but short of that, shpuld I like partition the drive with the errors until I can fix it? And it will only let me into the original Mac OSX Recovery menu :/

davemp88

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2020
So I can see my disk information is still all right there under ā€œMonterey-DISKā€, but if I click on either itā€™ll just go to the support.Apple.com.startup screen :( is my hard drive corrupt? Do I need to start from scratch or is there anyway to preserve the info (including applications still on my inaccessible startup disk)?

Attachments

• 8D0313C2-2FB2-4B1D-BB96-D6BAA7A0BB32.jpeg
    8D0313C2-2FB2-4B1D-BB96-D6BAA7A0BB32.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 45

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
So I can see my disk information is still all right there under ā€œMonterey-DISKā€, but if I click on either itā€™ll just go to the support.Apple.com.startup screen :( is my hard drive corrupt? Do I need to start from scratch or is there anyway to preserve the info (including applications still on my inaccessible startup disk)?
You need an external device with a working OC version or a native support macOS version to boot from. You should have prepared one in advance, in case you own the USB installer patched with OpenCore it might work, too.

You can try to boot internet recovery and create a APFS volume (not partition, just a new volume) with Catalina (or whatever supported macOS Apple offers this way for your machine). Try to use a search machine in case you never heard of internet recovery.

EDIT:
Your Monterey installation will be untouched and fine, you just need either the old or current properly configured new OC back onto your EFI partition or on any other EFI partition holding a valid OC to boot from. Without a proper OC on EFI you cannot boot back in any unsupported macOS version.

Last edited:

zfrogman

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2019
EU
My MB5,1 and MBP8,2 run BigSur flawlessly with OCLP 0.2.5. Later builds fail Music app. As you said, there's no reason to move to more recent builds if that you are running is definitely stable.
Hello Air.man,
you mention that BigSur runs flawlessly on your MBP 8,2. Would be interested in your feedback:
1. Is your discreet GPU disabled? and
2. do you have backlight or run an external app for that?
3. all major apps (Office, Adobe, photoshop, etc.) run smoothly?
4.Did you do a clean install or upgrade from Catalina (or other)?

thanks for your info.It would be very much appreciated since I have been looking at Big Sur but hesitant to make the jump from Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1602).

davemp88

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2020
You need an external device with a working OC version or a native support macOS version to boot from. You should have prepared one in advance, in case you own the USB installer patched with OpenCore it might work, too.

You can try to boot internet recovery and create a APFS volume (not partition, just a new volume) with Catalina (or whatever supported macOS Apple offers this way for your machine). Try to use a search machine in case you never heard of internet recovery.

EDIT:
Your Monterey installation will be untouched and fine, you just need either the old or current properly configured new OC back onto your EFI partition or on any other EFI partition holding a valid OC to boot from. Without a proper OC on EFI you cannot boot back in any unsupported macOS version.
What do u mean by I can boot back into my Monterey installation. (By the way itā€™s not really Monterey I just named it that but Itā€™s Big Sur 11.6.1. I was just gonna reinstall from Mac OSX at this point cuz I donā€™t have access to another computer and or usb flash drive. So how can I save the applications that I have downloaded (and inputted keys for) so that when I reinstall Big Sur 11.6.1 through OCLP, all my apps will be there? You mentioned it being untouched but is that only if I partition it or can just do a straight up install? I have an iCloud backup from a few days ago

davemp88

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2020
PS~ It will only take me to the original OS X Recovery. Every time it goes past that boot pocket screen is goes to the support.Mac.com/startup screen so I think the drive mightā€™ve gotten corrupted cuz my usual failsafe of resetting the PRAM and NVRAM didnā€™t work

davemp88

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2020
And from the Mac OSX disk utility, each time I go to partition the main drive so I can reformat a drive as MacOS Extended Journal so I can install OS X Lion to it, it keeps telling me ā€œmy disk02 partitionā€ (the last WORKING configuration I had of OCLP, will be erased and this New ā€œUntitled partition will be created. Is it because that OS is formatted in APFS that the PS X Recovery wonā€™t recognize it and therefore wonā€™t let me partition/save it?

davemp88

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2020
**UPDATE**, Now, I coulda sworn I had tried this before, and maybe itā€™s only because I reformatted my main drive from APFS to MacOS Extended Journal, but this time, when it wasnā€™t letting me install Mac OSX Lion, I did Option + Command + R, and it MIRACULOUSLY took me to the Catalina Recovery!! (I just wish I had tried to at before reformatting the disk and losing my not backed up to iCloud apps, but then again like I said I may not have been able to enter it before, because like I said Iā€™m almost positive I tried every reboot key combo and they all took me back to OSX Recovery. Then all of a sudden in the middle of the progress bar loading it FINALLY displayed the apple logo again with a progress bar! So yeah I wish I had figured that out before I lost my apps and settings, but at least Iā€™ll be able to use it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.