Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Allan Fox

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2020
IMG_0965.jpeg

[automerge]1593468666[/automerge]
Ow to get the wifi working

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Looks like you guys already got this sorted, but it was a simple fix for the "Hax.dylib" thing if anybody with a non-APFS Mac would like to test this. Please report your results if anyone uses it!
When I start this I am getting this?

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 02.40.58.png

Edit: I added those boot args but know I am getting this warning;
Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 03.03.06.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 03.03.48.png

Should I continue?

Last edited:

Peatwheat

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2015
I'm hoping the Wifi solution I've been using since the days of my unsupported Mac Pro 1,1 days and thru 5,1(flashed) will hold true. The Asus AC68 PCI-e adapter card. I'm still having trouble creating an installer that will get into setup. I really want to find out if the my steadfast wifi will stay strong. Once, I get a nibble on Big Sur I'll share any wifi failure or success.

Reactions: TimothyR734

ASentientBot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2018
SkyLight.framework
When I start this I am getting this?

View attachment 929210
Edit: I added those boot args but know I am getting this warning;
View attachment 929215
View attachment 929216

Should I continue?
You have a couple issues -- looks like a weird quote got into your boot args, and the AMFI flag is supposed to be part of that, not its own key. Copy this command exactly and it should be resolved.
sudo nvram boot-args='-no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1'
[automerge]1593479996[/automerge]
Hax2 definitely disabled volume sealing when I tested it. I'll test Hax3 soon, probably tomorrow, and see whether volume sealing happens.
Thank you for testing it! Version 3 was just to disable an APFS support check and doesn't alter any sealing stuff, so I don't think you need to check it. But go ahead if you want to!

Ronald Steven

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2020
Hi all,

I have a MBP mid 2012 (not Retina), and the installation of Big Sur on a external disk worked perfectly. For the WiFi I used the method described here.

At step 2, as it was impossible to boot on recovery partition of Big Sur, I had to create a bootable installer on an USB stick with this method.

At step 7 do a
Code:
diskutil list
in Terminal to know the number of the preboot partition of Big Sur. It may have changed between the moment where you where on Big Sur and the moment where you boot on the usb installer.
and how do you install it? via usb boot? do you re edit the beta.app file?

Allan Fox

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2020
Had to reinstall BS cause the wifi fix didn’t work and it took 20 minutes to not even boot
[automerge]1593482649[/automerge]
Thankfully I never delete my drives

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
I also made an USB installer with createinstall à la jackluke post #215.
It behaves the same as yours - prohibited sign in the end.

In my case I guess it has to do with USB access from within the installer (my machine is a mid 2009 MBP5,2). I'll try further.

ASentientBot has made a fix for using the BS installer from within Catalina (Hax3.app from his post #1091) which avoids the "firmware..." message. It provides an extry dylib to the installer. Works fine for me.
I tried that app. The installer starts on non-APFS but after the restart, I got prohibited sign again.

nitinnk

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2020
Italy

Allan Fox

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2020
I’m trying still to get wifi on here
[automerge]1593487202[/automerge]
no error 66
[automerge]1593487824[/automerge]
Also csrutil authenticated-root disable does nothing

Last edited:

Allan Fox

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2020
Any hope the extensions folder is still locked even after the csrutil command and using sudo mount -uw / doesnt let me put the kext in the extensions folder and when I try the Catalina install and do the kext placing there and proceed with the terminal stufff the big sur partition doesn’t boot, it’s my fifth time restoring from the external drive to the Big Sur partition and just wanna get wifi working sudo mount -uw / doesn’t give me any errors but I can’t place the kext in the folder
[automerge]1593495156[/automerge]
Finally I was able to get the kext in through big sur and currently restarting

Last edited:

Ronald Steven

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2020
Any hope the extensions folder is still locked even after the csrutil command and using sudo mount -uw / doesnt let me put the kext in the extensions folder and when I try the Catalina install and do the kext placing there and proceed with the terminal stufff the big sur partition doesn’t boot, it’s my fifth time restoring from the external drive to the Big Sur partition and just wanna get wifi working sudo mount -uw / doesn’t give me any errors but I can’t place the kext in the folder
[automerge]1593495156[/automerge]
Finally I was able to get the kext in through big sur and currently restarting

how did you put it?

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.24.24 PM.png

After a few tries I finally got Big Sur installed on a second partition on my MBP! Still figuring out WiFi, that looks fairly complicated. But hey, I'm one step closer to using it as my main OS once it's fully released.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Other some little progress on non-APFS Mac, still using my prelinkedkernel method, but perhaps it could work also with BootKernelExtensions.kc , need further testing, the kext used for non-APFS mac to enable Wifi, Sound and Mic: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...unsupported-macs-thread.2242172/post-28614080

The Wifi kext is from @highvoltage12v , that IO80211Family.kext will work for any unsupported BigSur Mac, and I guess also the AppleHDA.kext that I posted will work for any unsupported BigSur mac (non-APFS included).

To install the kext you need an unsealed BigSur System volume that means "snapshots booting disabled" (use the ASentientBot Hax2.dylib to install and fix that).

edit:
the Sharing local domain name is "MacBook", because I am using the same external USB BigSur installation.
Still trying to figure out how to boot an USB BigSurInstaller (createinstallmedia) from a non-APFS mac (LegacyUSBInjector.kext and BootKernelExtensions.kc), the prelinkedkernel method for an USB BigSur Installer doesn't work, I guess because the BaseSystem.dmg is an APFS Installer with its own Preboot volume, for this reason I guess it's very difficult to make an "USB BigSur Patcher" (unless someone can import kmutil and the new csrutil on USB Catalina Patcher).

Attachments

• BigSur non-APFS usb sound wifi.png
    BigSur non-APFS usb sound wifi.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 189
  • Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 10.53.14.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 10.53.14.png
    890.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Alex-Microsmeta

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2018
Rome
If you have snapshots disabled, you should be able to just boot your Big Sur volume in single user mode and run
Code:
mount -uw /
mv /System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.telemetry.plugin /
exit
(If you get an error with the mount command, there are various workarounds posted in the thread, all of which seem to be either unreliable or a real pain. I use this currently and it works but is a hassle.)

Thank you, but I cannot access the BS Recovery with Command + R. It crashes after screen becoming white from black.

But I'm avalable for all alpha/beta testing that you and @dosdude1 need for macOS Big Sur Patcher on Core 2 Duo Penryn

Using Cat Recovery, I don't have /UserEventPlugins/ folder in "Big Sur - Dati" volume... ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200630_102814.jpg
    IMG_20200630_102814.jpg
    754.3 KB · Views: 113

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Thank you, but I cannot access the BS Recovery with Command + R. It crashes after screen becoming white from black.

But I'm avalable for all alpha/beta testing that you and @dosdude1 need for macOS Big Sur Patcher on Core 2 Duo Penryn

Using Cat Recovery, I don't have /UserEventPlugins/ folder in "Big Sur - Dati" volume... ?

You should re-install from Catalina your BigSur using this: Hax2.dylib
then you can remove telemetry from BigSur single user mode.

Otherwise you can make from Catalina this: USBOpenCoreAPFSloader3.app.zip

If you use an external USB that contains an Installer or MacOS installation use "Near an USB device without erasing"

If you use an external empty USB drive without any multi-partition scheme example a 16 USB drive then use the second option, don't use second option on a multi-partition USB disk.

After reboot, hold alt-option key select usbopencore (with its icon) and pick your "Big Sug - Data" label to boot BigSur on unsupported mac.

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland
I tried that app. The installer starts on non-APFS but after the restart, I got prohibited sign again.
I started installing to a USB disk, and got the same behaviour. Also had to set the nvram boot-args as you before doing Hax3.
Unfortunately there is no way yet to install BS to a disk on USB on our old machines (you remember the OTA method using opencore to overcome this on Catalina, where injects LegacyUSB into the prelinked kernel used during install). BS does installation differently, and this injection isn't possible yet. However also during booting BS the LegacyUSB is necessary, as well as overcoming telemetry, and for booting it DOES already work thanks to jackluke.
To keep the long story short, I had to hook my halfway-installed BS disk onto the internal SATA of my MBP5,2 to proceed. That worked, but now I have my production Catalina on USB.
Details are in posts 1071, 1085/86, 1120/23, 1127.

Barry K. Nathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2018
Irvine, CA, USA
This is the method I used to make a USB Installer for Big Sur https://parrotgeek.com/bigsur/
In terms of ease of use, my patcher won't catch up to ParrotGeek's until maybe next week. (I plan to do a new release of my patcher, v0.0.5, today or tomorrow, but it will still be a little harder to use than ParrotGeek's.)

The catch right now with ParrotGeek's patcher is that his fork of Hax.dylib is functionally similar to ASentientBot's original Hax and not Hax2 or Hax3, and it does not try to prevent volume sealing. Otherwise I would just enthusiastically say, forget my patcher for the near future, use his instead. (I think I'm still going to update my readme to mention his patcher as an alternative to consider.)

Edit for clarity, for anyone who comes across this post in the future: I'm talking about the current version of ParrotGeek's patcher as of this writing, which is v0.1.3.

Last edited:

jborko

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
I managed to get BigSur installed from a USB installer on modded iMac 2011 (WiFi and GPU "upgraded") using opencore. However I was not able to get around the 66 error (followed the previously posted instructions to no avail - disabling authenticated-root fails (requires to be executed from a Recovery OS - I believe I do it from a recovery OS (selected recovery 10.16 from OC boot menu). 2 things that do not work on a first glance are Audio and Sleep/Wake. Hoping to achieve this with the same kexts used for Catalina, once 66 is resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.