Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
Kullavik, Halland, Sweden, EU
Correct. The difference is that OCLP makes it less native by introducing VM flags/spoofing and what not. I fail to see any benefit in this since you still can't install delta updates OTA.
Time to get positively surprised then. OTA delta update functionality are for sure supported in OCLP since several releases back.

It works flawlessly with OTA and automatic updates of configuration updates. It's not even needed to start up OCLP manually. Just updated from 14.2.1 to 14.3 OTA on three OCLP metal compatible Macs. It works great.

The only difference from a native OTA is that OCLP automatically run patches after install and reboot. No manual intervention other than approving install and reboot. It's as convenient as anybody could ask for. no USB installer etc.

On non metal Macs the procedure and flow is as automated but it downloads a full installer.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Time to get positively surprised then. OTA delta update functionality are for sure supported in OCLP since several releases back.

It works flawlessly with OTA and automatic updates of configuration updates. It's not even needed to start up OCLP manually. Just updated from 14.2.1 to 14.3 OTA on three OCLP metal compatible Macs. It works great.

The only difference from a native OTA is that OCLP automatically run patches after install and reboot. No manual intervention other than approving install and reboot. It's as convenient as anybody could ask for. no USB installer etc.

On non metal Macs the procedure and flow is as automated but it downloads a full installer.
So you are able to do an update by downloading ~3GB update OTA? Great.
Ivy Bridge still misses some instruction to be fully functional with Ventura and up so I personally would not go past Monterey.

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
Unsupported Macs will still OTA download full installer. It's however just as convenient. No fuzz with USB and no full install procedure steps. Just click the normal SW update in MacOS settings, let it run, reboot and come back for OK to install patches, OK the final reboot and done.

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
This is what I was trying to say when I said you can't download delta(~3GB) updates OTA.
So you prefer to stay on obsolete spoofed micropatched Big Sur, because OCLP macOS internal OTA automatic upgrades on Sonoma level are 13 GB instead of 3 GB? Otherwise similar to supported Macs updgrade procedure? That sounds a bit far fetched.

It may take a couple of minutes longer to download, but other than that the experience is similar to any supported Mac.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
So you prefer to stay on obsolete spoofed micropatched Big Sur, because OCLP macOS internal OTA automatic upgrades on Sonoma level are 13 GB instead of 3 GB? Otherwise similar to supported Macs updgrade procedure? That sounds a bit far fetched.

It may take a couple of minutes longer to download, but other than that the experience is similar to any supported Mac.
Actually I would rather stay on Mojave but I am using my Mid 2012 MBP in a clamshell mode with Apple Magic Wireless Keyboard which has a minimum macOS 11.3 requirement in order to get the top row of keys working plus AirPods Pro have a NC/Transparency/Off control in Big Sur.

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Nice looking Macs Desktop without Metal GPU

For Macs that are impractical or impossible to OCLP to latest macOS due to lacking metal graphics. I've found Big Sur is about the best option. OCLP provide relative easy non standard macOS installation to Big Sur ( @dosdude1 Catalina is even more functional but hard to beat OCLP's continuing pro quality installation experience )

In Big Sur for non metal graphics Macs. Maps will be dark but seems to not break other apps that uses Apple maps features ( calendar and photo location ) It is desirable to turn on a couple of non default features to avoid visual anomalies.

Turn on Accessibility -> Display -> Reduced Transparency

This eliminates the flashing of overlayed slightly transparent window's sections. Mail app's left pane is easiest to see this sliding over top of the background windows.

While OCLP Beta Blur works quite well, it consumes too much CPU for older machines and making the UI sluggish ( noted in OCLP docs link ) So turn this off.

Turn on Beta Menu Bar if Dynamic Wallpaper

Menu Bar font/icon color need to change with the colors of dynamic wallpaper. Won't work properly without this feature on non metal GPUs on OCLP macOSes.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 10.08.34 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: surszki

TheLion01

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2015
The Netherlands
I want to have both my Mac's on the same OS (Big Sur) but my iMac14,1 only goes up to Catalina. I would like to install macOS Big Sur on it. What is the best (and most secure) option right now? I read that, with an old version of OCLP, SIP can stay enabled.

I think you answered your own question. I believe in "less is more" when it comes to patches. No OCLP, no VM flags/spoofing, no unwanted updates, no issues just the good old experience of using macOS natively.

Are you serious?

nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"
I looked on the internet for some guides about this but didn't found anything useful. Do you have some sources for reference?

internetzel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
I want to have both my Mac's on the same OS (Big Sur) but my iMac14,1 only goes up to Catalina. I would like to install macOS Big Sur on it. What is the best (and most secure) option right now? I read that, with an old version of OCLP, SIP can stay enabled.

I looked on the internet for some guides about this but didn't found anything useful. Do you have some sources for reference?
I'm actually using Monterey on my graphics and wifi upgraded late 2009 iMac with SIP fully enabled, simply configured using OCLP 1.3.0 .
I had used Big Sur, Catalina and Mojave before updating to Monterey - using OCLP as well. For using Mojave and Catalina one has to add the mentioned "-no_compat_check" to the boot-args in the config.plist file on the EFI partition after having used OCLP to install OpenCore to that partition.

Reactions: TheLion01

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I am using nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" to boot my Big Sur installation without the OCLP(native boot).

If you find this confusing or not self-explanatory I will strongly suggest that you use OCLP in order to avoid unnecessary complications.

Reactions: webg3

mgoldenbarnes

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
Hey everyone, hope you're all good.

So after a year or more of running the patched Catalina OS on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), I want to upgrade to Big Sur, so I can run my DJ software, which is no longer working...

If it helps, here's some more info about the MBP.
2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

I'd really appreciate some advice, in basic language please, as to how to go about installing an upgraded macOS. If it's even possible??

I've got a couple of DJ gigs next week and it would be really helpful to have this sorted before then!

Thanks in advance.

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019

So after a year or more of running the patched Catalina OS on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), I want to upgrade to Big Sur, so I can run my DJ software, which is no longer working...

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

I'd really appreciate some advice, in basic language please, as to how to go about installing an upgraded macOS. If it's even possible??

I've got a couple of DJ gigs next week and it would be really helpful to have this sorted before then!

Thanks in advance.
It's possible and relatively straight forward. I have a mid 2012 Macbook Pro that runs latest Sonoma without any problems. I have switched to SSD and installed 16 GB RAM a couple of years ago and it's really snappy on Sonoma. Go to Mr Macitosh and/or Jessie's Flying channels on Youtube for simple step by step video tutorials on how to upgrade with OCLP.

Houpla

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2018

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Thanks in advance.
Monterey would be better, as it is still getting security updates. Unless your DJ software requires specifically Big Sur.

Paul A Jackson

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2016
Hong Kong
Big Sur Apple Menu and Left Hand Side of Menu Bar Missing

For example using Safari with it as the active window, there is no Safari menu bar at the top left.
Attached two screenshots with full screen Safari window and maximised non-full screen Safari window respectively, showing missing display of left hand Apple menu and Safari menu bars; but correct display of right hand menu bar items.

Thank you in advance for any advice, help or tips.

iMac11,1 ATI HD 4850, OCLP 1.3.0 patched Big Sur

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 18.35.07.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 18.35.07.png
    378.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 18.38.16.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 18.38.16.png
    529.7 KB · Views: 31

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Big Sur Apple Menu and Left Hand Side of Menu Bar Missing

For example using Safari with it as the active window, there is no Safari menu bar at the top left.
Attached two screenshots with full screen Safari window and maximised non-full screen Safari window respectively, showing missing display of left hand Apple menu and Safari menu bars; but correct display of right hand menu bar items.

Thank you in advance for any advice, help or tips.

iMac11,1 ATI HD 4850, OCLP 1.3.0 patched Big Sur

Does wifi and Bluetooth function normally?
I upgrade the OS in my iMac 2009 (iMac 11,1) to Monterey but Wifi and Bluetooth don't work.
I plan to install Big Sur if the stock Wifi and Bluetooth modules work.

TigerA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I upgrade the OS in my iMac 2009 (iMac 11,1) to Monterey but Wifi and Bluetooth don't work.
Try OCLP 1.4.2, which will fix your wifi issue. iMac 2009 is iMac10,x. iMac11,x is for 2010 iMac.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

internetzel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Try OCLP 1.4.2, which will fix your wifi issue. iMac 2009 is iMac10,x. iMac11,x is for 2010 iMac.
iMac 11,1 is actually the late 2009 27" iMac with Core-i CPU. The 2010 models derive from that model, with very similar mainboards.
So there were the early 2009 iMacs (9,x), the late 2009 iMacs with Core2 CPU (10,x) and the late 2009 27" iMacs with Core-i CPU, each of them introduced in 2009, but three different mainboards.

Paul A Jackson

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2016
Hong Kong
Yes, both work fine.

The misbehaviour I report appears to be user account related.

I tried a fresh installation with the OCLP 1.4.2 - which has fixed your problem, but did not fix mine!

Summary:

1. I fresh installed High Sierra on brand new 2TB SSD, installed in the iMac
2. Installed Big Sur via OCLP 1.4.2 configured for iMac11,1
3. Ensured root patches were NOT installed, as advised for next step
4. Ran Migration Assistant for just one administrator user account from old 1TB SSD that had been running Mojave using Dosdude1's macOS Mojave Patcher

At first boot or few, everything looked fine. After installing OCLP root patches and a Safari update, at first the Apple Menu bar and left hand Menu Bar items disappeared, but I could still select options from them by moving cursor "blind" to the appropriate positions and either left or right clicking mouse to reveal the options.

After a re-boot or two more, the behaviour became more visually consistent, but effectively locked me out of the Apple Menu and left hand Menu Bar. Now I just get Desktop Menu starting with New Folder, clicking where Apple Menu or left hand Menu Bar items should be.

A complete, unusable mess!

webg3

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
I finally managed to get rid of OCLP, and now there are no more notifications to install Monterey, Ventura or Sonoma.

MacBook Air 2012 11"

Attachments

• Backup EFI BigSur MBA2012 OpenCore_0.9.9.zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 22
  • Backup EFI BigSur MBA2012 OpenCore_0.9.9.zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 23

webg3

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Apple argues about it since they don't support it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/103111

What I mean is that you spoof/bypass with nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" and you used micropatcher to get Wifi to work. So it contradicts your earlier response: I think you answered your own question. I believe in "less is more" when it comes to patches. No OCLP, no VM flags/spoofing, no unwanted updates, no issues just the good old experience of using macOS natively.

OCLP Sonoma works great and it run flawlessly on mid 2012 and it's not obsolete as your spoofed/bypassed/micropatched installed Big Sur.

Both what you tweak/spoof micropatch and OCLP are alterations.
just replace the Airport with a more recent one, 2013-2015 that solves it, I did this on the Air 2012, and I don't have OCLP, just OpenCore 0.9.9, no patches, no kexts, no complications, SIP activated, I can even activate it FileVault without any problems, something that is not possible in Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
just replace the Airport with a more recent one, 2013-2015 that solves it, I did this on the Air 2012, and I don't have OCLP, just OpenCore 0.9.9, no patches, no kexts, no complications, SIP activated, I can even activate it FileVault without any problems, something that is not possible in Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma.
I activated FileVault in Monterey on my MBP 13 inch 2012 without any issues(without OCLP/OC). As you said if you need a working Bluetooth/WiFi you'll just have to "upgrade" the Airport card, if you are happy using wired keyboard, mouse and Ethernet you don't even need to upgrade the Airport card.

People seem to confuse two very distinct things:

- installing macOS on unsupported Mac(use an OCLP or a supported Mac)

- booting and running unsupported macOS("-no_compat_check" and disabled SIP(to allow for the HD4000 kexts) will be sufficient, no OpenCore of any sort required - this is essentially going back to the glorious days of the dosdude1 patchers.)

Ventura and Sonoma on the other hand is where I think you will have to use OCLP/OC.

Reactions: webg3

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
I'm a newbie of the Big Sur. I plan to upgrade my Mac mini mid-2010 (which currently runs Mojave on an APFS formatted harddisk) from Mojave to Big Sur. But the spoilers at the first page seem to be sloppy, can't tell if the unoffical/modified/patched whatever Big Sur can be installed on Mac mini mid-2010.

Meanwhile it looks like there's no such thing like a Big Sur Install .iso/.dmg file. Btw, what is the OpenCore Legacy Patch, is it a firmware patch?

The sole reason I'd like to install Big Sur on Mac mini 2010 is to be able to run Whatsapp on it (WA stopped supporting Mojave and even Catalina; it runs solely on Big Sur and upwards. Meanwhile are there any tricks or hacks that you kow of for running WA on Mojave?)

Did anybody manage to install Big Sur on Mac mini 2010?

webg3

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
I'm a newbie of the Big Sur. I plan to upgrade my Mac mini mid-2010 (which currently runs Mojave on an APFS formatted harddisk) from Mojave to Big Sur. But the spoilers at the first page seem to be sloppy, can't tell if the unoffical/modified/patched whatever Big Sur can be installed on Mac mini mid-2010.

Meanwhile it looks like there's no such thing like a Big Sur Install .iso/.dmg file. Btw, what is the OpenCore Legacy Patch, is it a firmware patch?

The sole reason I'd like to install Big Sur on Mac mini 2010 is to be able to run Whatsapp on it (WA stopped supporting Mojave and even Catalina; it runs solely on Big Sur and upwards. Meanwhile are there any tricks or hacks that you kow of for running WA on Mojave?)

Did anybody manage to install Big Sur on Mac mini 2010?

WhatsApp also has problems on macs officially compatible with Big Sur

I recommend using Google Chrome (WhatsApp web)

You can try Monterey, Ventura or Sonoma, it seems that the application has no problems in these other systems.

OpenCore Legacy Patcher is an application capable of installing versions not officially supported, there are several videos and YouTube channels, I recommend taking a look at Mr Macintosh.

Reactions: aurora72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.