Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

windrider42

Contributor
Aug 19, 2018
Alberta
I was using Catalina on my MBP for quite some time and had never thought of running Monterey. I remember looking at Big Sur for some time, but never tried it
My daughter had goofed up her MacBook Air , so I fixed it by making an installer for Monterey which it can Natively run, then was reading the installation for Ventura using OCLP 0.6.6 and seen my MBP was listed, so thought why not give it a go with Monterey and it works great. Better than Catalina even.

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 10.06.03 PM.png

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
What has been your experience with the MBP 8,3 in your sig?
Any luck installing Ventura? Considering it for a MBP 8,2 that is now running Big Sur 11.7.6 and OCLP 0.6.1.
It is OK with that configuration. Considering the end of security updates at the end of the year, would you advise Monterey or Ventura?
Monterey runs very nice. Ventura is almost unusable. Just to tell you that I installed a new Wifi/Bluettoth in both my Macbook pro 2011 17".

Reactions: Giovamille959

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
I am now running Monterey 12.6.6 on my dMBP6,2 with AMFI and Library Validation fully ENABLED. I used the same procedure that I followed here for my Ventura volume. My Monterey 12.6.6 volume had been previously installed with AMFI and Library Validation DISABLED and patched with OCLP 0.6.6 (Release). I simply updated my OC 0.9.2 EFI to enable AMFI and Library Validation, booted Monterey 12.6.6 with the new EFI and then applied post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.7Beta2.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
I am now running Monterey 12.6.6 on my dMBP6,2 with AMFI and Library Validation fully ENABLED. I used the same procedure that I followed here for my Ventura volume. My Monterey 12.6.6 volume had been previously installed with AMFI and Library Validation DISABLED and patched with OCLP 0.6.6 (Release). I simply updated my OC 0.9.2 EFI to enable AMFI and Library Validation, booted Monterey 12.6.6 with the new EFI and then applied post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.7Beta2.
You likely never needed AMFI to be disabled running Monterey. This was caused by using an OCLP release targeting Ventura 13.3+ on your particular system.

Reactions: makra

sinbad21

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
France
I tried one time to enable both options and I had a problem with Time Machine, the computer freezed at the end of each backup. I returned to the default option for Library validation (disabled) and AMFI enabled.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
@sinbad21 Time Machine is working perfectly for me with both Enabled. No problems. I am finding that Monterey 12.6.6 has no problems (for me).

@Ausdauersportler I could have sworn that I wasn't receiving any permission prompts (e.g., Microphone, Camera) in Monterey with AMFI disabled on my dMBP6,2. I am certain that I wasn't receiving any permission prompts in Ventura versions prior to 13.3. I am now receiving permission prompts in Ventura (tested 13.2.1 and 13.4).

The most important development for me, regardless of whether AMFI/Library Validation makes a difference, is that I can use a single EFI to multi-boot Monterey and Ventura. An "in-place" upgrade of Big Sur to OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 did NOT work for me, so I'm figuring that out now.

My dMBP6,2 is a hackintosh, so there is the possibility that my observed behavior is slightly different from that observed on a real MBP6,2 (although I don't know why AMFI and Library Valildation behavior would be different between the two). Maybe because my dMBP6,2 has only NVidia Tesla graphics (no Intel HD).

EDIT: I was unable to boot BigSur 11.7.7 with AMFI and Library Validation enabled (and injecting AMFIPass.kext) after previously installing BS with AMFI and Library Validation disabled and patched with OCLP 0.6.6 (boot resulted in AppleAHCIDiskDriver kernel panic). However, I was able to perform a clean installation of BS 11.7.7 with AMFI and LV enabled (including data/app/system migration from my old BS volume). After the successful install, I applied post-install patches to BS with OCLP 0.6.7Beta2.

I am now booting BS 11.7.7, Monterey 12.6.6, Ventura 13.2.1 and Ventura 13.4 with AMFI and LV enabled and AMFIPass.kext injected and post-install patches applied with OCLP 0.6.7Beta2. All working very well.

EDIT: DhinaK set me straight on Discord. She suggested installing OCLP0.6.7 Beta2 post-install patches to Big Sur BEFORE enabling AMFI/LV. That worked!
Lesson learned: If you have previously applied post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.6 or older to a volume with AMFI/LV disabled, install post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 (or newer) BEFORE enabling AMFI/LV.

Last edited:

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
@Ausdauersportler Not sure if this helps you, but I ran permissions tests in Big Sur 11.7.7 and Monterey 12.6.6 with and without AMFI enabled. When AMFI is disabled (amfi=0x80, no AMFIPass.kext), I am unable to grant permissions in both Big Sur and Monterey via the standard macOS prompt. I must use tccplus to grant permissions in both Big Sur and Monterey. When I boot Big Sur and Monterey with AMFI enabled (no amfi arg in boot-args and Kernel > Add > AMFIPass.kext), I am able to grant permissions via the standard prompt (no need for tccplus).

For me with my dMBP6,2 (Nvidia Tesla only, no Intel HD), enabling AMFI eliminates the need to use tccplus in Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura. Again, my dMBP6,2 is a hackintosh. Just letting you know not because I need any support (and don't expect any), but just to be clear.

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I've used OCLP on a few Macs, so I know my way around it.

However, I recently got a new Mac Pro 5,1 and the BootROM has been flashed to 144.0.0.0.0. However, I'm still waiting until next week for my power cables to come in so I can use a Metal-capable GPU.

Can I try OCLP with my non-Metal HD 5770? I realize it won't be GPU-accelerated, but can I at least try the installation?

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I've used OCLP on a few Macs, so I know my way around it.

However, I recently got a new Mac Pro 5,1 and the BootROM has been flashed to 144.0.0.0.0. However, I'm still waiting until next week for my power cables to come in so I can use a Metal-capable GPU.

Can I try OCLP with my non-Metal HD 5770? I realize it won't be GPU-accelerated, but can I at least try the installation?
There are several people here who have a lot of experience with that hardware, so pay attention to their advice.
OCLP is very hardware sensitive, so in any case you will need to reinstall it after you change the GPU and especially, the root patches will be different. If it was me, I'd wait that extra week. Have you read the instructions, and downloaded the latest release?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
There are several people here who have a lot of experience with that hardware, so pay attention to their advice.
OCLP is very hardware sensitive, so in any case you will need to reinstall it after you change the GPU and especially, the root patches will be different. If it was me, I'd wait that extra week. Have you read the instructions, and downloaded the latest release?
I know I’d have to re-build, but that’s all relatively simple.

Yes, I’ve read the instructions and am familiar with the process, I’ve used OCLP several times in the past.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
You likely never needed AMFI to be disabled running Monterey. This was caused by using an OCLP release targeting Ventura 13.3+ on your particular system.
I received some clarification on Discord that may help you:
  • AMFI has always been disabled on your Non-Metal system
  • Metal systems did not require AMFI to be disabled on 13.2.1 and earlier

My dMBP6,2 is a non-metal system. I had to disable AMFI for as long as I have been injecting Nvidia kexts (I think even in Mojave and Catalina when I was using DosDude patchers). Because of the prior need to disable AMFI, I have had to use tccplus to enable permissions. Now with AMFI and Library Validation enabled, permissions are enabled normally (via the standard prompt) in Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura.

Last edited:

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
I received some clarification on Discord that may help you:
  • AMFI has always been disabled on your Non-Metal system
  • Metal systems did not require AMFI to be disabled on 13.2.1 and earlier
Obviously it helped you to understand what you did with your single EFI approach.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Yes - obviously. I suspect that it helped both of us.
I tried to distribute this particular message for (four) weeks now, but most users were just hunting for new OCLP and new OC releases without reading the documentation.

There was never a necessity to upgrade to the latest and greatest, in the contrary a proper software release management would avoid this simple strategy completely.

Disabling AMFI on a limited list of systems was necessary on Ventura 13.3+, only. Using the OLCP 0.6.2+ versions on Big Sur and Monterey would disable AMFI in the very same systems and would cause the very same permission and software problems we were discussing here for weeks now. The software cannot check your intentions to run an older macOS.

Basically most users did all the pain to themselves - download, install and fail - instead of carefully reading change logs and docs.

It would help me if all of you rethink the software release strategy you are following.
Neither the development, nor the support team is able to stop the Lemmings.

Reactions: makra

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Who exactly is us?

Do me another favor and read the first post of this thread and the edit history of it in particular.

Steven*

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019
Brussels, Belgium
"Q: Which is the best OCLP version to use?
A:
The last Monterey version was 0.4.11 - all following versions target Ventura only with a few exceptions. In general read the OCLP change log carefully, new versions may have unexpected side effects on Monterey installations when changing general settings (like SecureBootModel, AMFI, SIP)."

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Who exactly is us?

Do me another favor and read the first post of this thread and the edit history of it in particular.
I was referring to us, the lemmings that you so kindly labeled. It was wrong of me to assume that your "lemmings" was in fact plural. Let me rephrase and say "Thank you for helping me, the lemming." I'm not trying to be difficult. Like you, I'm here attempting to share what I learn and to openly admit when I'm wrong and stand corrected.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
So you do not even know the story of the Lemmings? It would not be a real story if it happens only to a single animal. So the plural was used on purpose. But this does not mean you are entitled to speak in the name of others here answering my posts.

Have you had time between your answers here to read the first post?

• Love
Reactions: deeveedee

TimmuJapan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I tried to distribute this particular message for (four) weeks now, but most users were just hunting for new OCLP and new OC releases without reading the documentation.

There was never a necessity to upgrade to the latest and greatest, in the contrary a proper software release management would avoid this simple strategy completely.

Disabling AMFI on a limited list of systems was necessary on Ventura 13.3+, only. Using the OLCP 0.6.2+ versions on Big Sur and Monterey would disable AMFI in the very same systems and would cause the very same permission and software problems we were discussing here for weeks now. The software cannot check your intentions to run an older macOS.

Basically most users did all the pain to themselves - download, install and fail - instead of carefully reading change logs and docs.

It would help me if all of you rethink the software release strategy you are following.
Neither the development, nor the support team is able to stop the Lemmings.

I think you could give them a little bit of a break regarding this issue with Monterey on 0.4.11 vs. 0.6.2 and later.

Monterey just reached maturity last autumn, and early OCLP/Monterey adopters were used to downloading the latest version of OCLP after every update for the last year. People just get into the habit of doing that. The information on the first page that reads “The last Monterey version was 0.4.11” has probably only been there for a handful of months. The info on the first page changes as the project changes.

Also, I think that the issues that started happening for OCLP Monterey and OCLP Big sur users on 0.6.2 and after—-this was, perhaps, the first time in the 2 or 3 years of this project that the latest released version of OCLP, while fixing issues on the latest macOS (Ventura), caused some trouble for people on earlier OSes (Big Sur, Monterey)…..

I think that if OCLP can evolve to let people choose their target OS as well as their target device, and then OCLP generates an EFI appropriate for both—even when using the latest version of OCLP—, that would be awesome. As we saw recently, the latest OCLP version is always generating EFIs that are first and foremost designed for Ventura, but those EFIs caused some issues for Monterey or Big Sur users. Hackintosh users of clover would be used to something like this and mindful not to install the latest clover which targets, for example, Big Sur while booting Catalina, but this is all new territory for most of the users here.

I’m not developer, so I don’t know, perhaps it is too complicated to automate process of making EFIs for a target device and target OS. In any case, I think that what the developers do is amazing, and we all need to be patient here too.

Last edited:

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Please read OCLP docs about updates and please look up software release management (or ITIL)

You can - of course - ignore what has been developed in half a century or you can evolve and learn something new.

Leaning back and expecting others would deliver a software which makes thinking obsolete is really frightening to me.

I give you all a break - this is my last post here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.