Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
I just ran the Ventura installer from USB. It installed fine. Needed to reboot so I held option and booted the EFI partition from USB. I then selected the built in hard disk to complete the install.

Same error. Trust me. I’m doing this properly.
I can think of only two things then, either you're not formatting the internal drive properly OR try a different thumb-drive/external USB drive that you're using to do the install.

OKonnel

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Italy
With SMBIOS spoofing set to minimal, do you use a higher model to specify the model? In the case of a 10,1 would you spoof it higher than that model?
Absolutely no, it's dangerous! You can only try to put SMBIOS "Minimal" and you have to leave all others settings as default! Just do this and don't touch anything else. If that doesn't work, reinstall standard OCLP 0.5.1 (without touching the settings), reset the PRAM at startup, then start the OCLP EFI Bios.

Reactions: cab_007

cybercylon

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2016
I've been playing around a bit with Ventura on a 2016 15 inch MacBook Pro. So far so good. I did have a little problem with getting it to boot from the internal drive without the USB drive (the one you make for the installer). Post install, OCLP asked me if I wanted to install the patches on the internal HD. I did so, but my machine still would not boot without the USB drive. I went in and manually deleted everything in the EFI partition and replaced it with the contents from the EFI folder from the USB drive.

My machine is booting fine now from the internal HD without the USB drive, but I am uncertain why I had to take the extra steps.

Chozun

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
I've been playing around a bit with Ventura on a 2016 15 inch MacBook Pro. So far so good. I did have a little problem with getting it to boot from the internal drive without the USB drive (the one you make for the installer). Post install, OCLP asked me if I wanted to install the patches on the internal HD. I did so, but my machine still would not boot without the USB drive. I went in and manually deleted everything in the EFI partition and replaced it with the contents from the EFI folder from the USB drive.

My machine is booting fine now from the internal HD without the USB drive, but I am uncertain why I had to take the extra steps.
Hmm, that's both baffling and interesting! I don't think I've ever seen that before (I've always had Macs that supported the various new/newer versions of the Mac OS). But glad you got it fixed. And a rather innovative solution by replacing the EFI partition from the USB drive. Would have never thought of that!

5tracks

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2021
I tried to AirPlay something to my Mini just because some people were reporting it doesn't work with Ventura. Sure enough "No AirPlay Receivers found."

Next I tried toggling the AirPlay setting on this machine. Same error.
Finally, I changed OCLP to Minimal spoofing since some are reporting in this thread that AirPlay works with minimal spoofing. But even that didn't work for me.

Thankfully, I almost never use AirPlay to mac, but it's still something else to add to the list.

Reactions: OKonnel

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
You can install on top and keep your settings, programs etc.
You need to make a USB, and then you can use that to install on top of Monterey and not lose anything but effectively perform an upgrade. DO NOT perform an upgrade through the System Settings/Preferences panel.

Dismayed

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2022
I went down this road several years ago and found it to be too much trouble. My ancient Mac Pro now only runs Windows 10. YMMV.

Reactions: Aston441

OKonnel

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Italy
I tried to AirPlay something to my Mini just because some people were reporting it doesn't work with Ventura. Sure enough "No AirPlay Receivers found."

Finally, I changed OCLP to Minimal spoofing since some are reporting in this thread that AirPlay works with minimal spoofing. But even that didn't work for me.
Thankfully, I almost never use AirPlay to mac, but it's still something else to add to the list.
I remind that even if to someone don’t work AirPlay, they can use the excellent "Reflector 4" app which also has more functions than MacOS’s AirPlay.
I don't need to use AirPlay and if I've found a way to make it work in my iMac it's just for challenge.
I take this opportunity to remind that @khronokernel dissuades us from doing these experiments as it is risky.
Even just talking about it can cause confusion as the Forums are now full of many newbies who may lose their data or damage their Macs.
At the very least… they unnecessarily clog Forums and Discord, sometimes causing problems to Developers and to a peaceful OCLP development. Better for everyone, therefore, if we quietly wait for the normal development of OCLP, without unnecessary frenzy. :)

0423MAC

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2020
I went down this road several years ago and found it to be too much trouble. My ancient Mac Pro now only runs Windows 10. YMMV.
Yeah this is highly dependent on the mac you are using. Usually the biggest issue comes in terms of graphics, but I am pleased to say that this Mid 2012 MBP is running everything I've tried flawlessly so far.

Definitely not the fastest machine out there, but combined with a few tweaks from youtubers such as snazzy labs it has performed pretty much as one would expect from a mac.

Windows and Linux are definitely viable options when all options are exhausted on a particular machine.

Reactions: Dismayed

jotzet

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2020
Hello,
I’ve a question regarding upgrading my iMac14,2…

Basically at the moment I’ve got two partitions: Catalina (main driver, natively) and Monterey (testing / playground; driven by OCLP)!

Now I would like to upgrade from Catalina to Ventura (soon when free form app is ready I guess, which should be released in December).

I see 3 options:
USB-based: upgrade Catalina to Monterey then to Ventura, using OCLP-crafted stick
OTA-based: upgrade Catalina to Monterey then to Ventura, using in-place OTA upgrade
Time Machine: wipe Catalina partition, install Ventura, retrieve personal files / settings from TM backup

Which ones you guys had success with, which are definitely error prone?

Could I directly go from Catalina to Ventura also?

Thanks for pointers,
Joachim

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

Confirm that Airplay receiving doesn't work on iMac 2014 retina 15,1 once upgraded to ventura with OCLP 5.1

MP39

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2016
Reporting successful install Ventura on Mac Pro 5,1 using OC 0.5.1. Had some trouble with screen going blank on final boot of install -- even after following prior directions. Ended up swapping my AMD Radeon HD 7950 graphics card for an older NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4GB and it worked fine after. Ventura seems very responsive. Impressed so far.

Also, got this idea to swap cards after taking the NVMe drive over to my Mac Pro 3,1 with same graphics card and it booted fine with OC 0.5.1. So, I can share as well that preliminarily, my Mac Pro 3,1 is running Ventura just fine as well. It seemed speedy too! I need to officially go and do an install all the way through to double confirm.

Cheers to the developers...we know this is not possible without you...thank you! 🤗
Back as promised to officially report now that Ventura is successfully installed on my Mac Pro 3,1. No issues using OC 0.5.1 and running installer. 3,1 rebooted on its own without issue and no black screens. Again, this system had the same card that finally worked in my Mac Pro 5,1 when I was getting blank screens on final boot -- the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770.

I will note that with this install, I installed over an existing, working Monterey boot (latest release) that I was using on 3,1. That is the only thing that was different vs. on my other install on the Mac Pro 5,1 where I did a clean install using OC 0.5.1.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 3.15.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 3.15.07 PM.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 74

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Back as promised to officially report now that Ventura is successfully installed on my Mac Pro 3,1. No issues using OC 0.5.1 and running installer. 3,1 rebooted on its own without issue and no black screens. Again, this system had the same card that finally worked in my Mac Pro 5,1 when I was getting blank screens on final boot -- the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770.

I will note that with this install, I installed over an existing, working Monterey boot (latest release) that I was using on 3,1. That is the only thing that was different vs. on my other install on the Mac Pro 5,1 where I did a clean install using OC 0.5.1.
Good news but for those of us with one available GPU (Mac-rom Sapphire RX580 Nitro in my MP) that is still giving a black screen at final install, it means waiting for the official 0.5.x release that supports the 3,1, 4,1, and 5,1.

Reactions: MP39 and Lgga74

mwidjaya

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Australia
two partitions: Catalina (main driver, natively) and Monterey (testing / playground; driven by OCLP)
Suggest keep Catalina for now.

Use USB stick (OCLP/Ventura) to install over Monterey. Test/confirm that it works for your usage. Swap over when you are comfortable (noting that Ventura is .0 release and OCLP .5.1 is also new).

Reactions: jotzet

5tracks

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2021
I remind that even if to someone don’t work AirPlay, they can use the excellent "Reflector 4" app which also has more functions than MacOS’s AirPlay.
I don't need to use AirPlay and if I've found a way to make it work in my iMac it's just for challenge.
I take this opportunity to remind that @khronokernel dissuades us from doing these experiments as it is risky.
Even just talking about it can cause confusion as the Forums are now full of many newbies who may lose their data or damage their Macs.
At the very least… they unnecessarily clog Forums and Discord, sometimes causing problems to Developers and to a peaceful OCLP development. Better for everyone, therefore, if we quietly wait for the normal development of OCLP, without unnecessary frenzy. :)
It wasn't that risky for me, personally, as I made a full system image and a fresh USB installer for recovery before I performed the test.
Like you, I was curious if I could at least get the built-in AirPlay working somehow, as it was working fine with Monterey prior.

Never the less, I did want to post my results in the forums, and I don't think it clogged up the thread any. Nor did I advocate or encourage anyone else to do the same experiment I did. If anything, I may have dissuaded newer users from making potentially dangerous changes that wouldn't bring about the desired results. If someone wants to risk their system changing settings without the proper precautions, that's on them -- not me. I think we are all hobbyists here, just keeping these older machines active as best we can... right?

Last edited:

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
It wasn't that risky for me, personally, as I made a full system image and a fresh USB installer for recovery before I performed the test.
Like you, I was curious if I could at least get the built-in AirPlay working somehow, as it was working fine with Monterey prior.

Never the less, I did want to post my results in the forums, and I don't think it clogged up the thread any. Nor did I advocate or encourage anyone else to do the same experiment I did. If anything, I may have dissuaded newer users from making potentially dangerous changes that wouldn't bring about the desired results. If someone wants to risk their system changing settings without the proper precautions, that's on them -- not me. I think we are all hobbyists here, just keeping these older machines active as best we can... right?
Hey what method / software did you use to make a full system image? I’m a bit all over the place with trying to pick a good backup method, especially because TM with an OCLP is questionable. Thanks

HDMC

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2018

Great to hear, but does Wlan work for you ?
On my Mac Pro 3,1 Ventura is working execpt Wlan ...
OC 0.5.1 does not support Mac Pros 3.1 to 5.1 yet.

OKonnel

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Italy

That's right @5tracks ! :) However, I was not referring to you, but to many users who make attempts without having read, studied and understood all the explanations and instructions on OCLP in GitHub Dortania, in Khronokernel’s blog, etc... and/or who do not know what NVRAM is or how to reset a Mac stuck or bricked or unfamiliar with the new Macintosh HD APFS structure or using the Terminal and many other important basics...
Everyone should first of all be invited and encouraged to read and understand the OCLP instructions.
And also, I wanted to reinforce @khronokernel's invitation to all of us (starting with me first... ;)) not to try and fix some well-known problems on their own that OCLP Developers are already working hard on. But, above all, he invites us not to propose autonomous solutions with the OCLP’s settings in the Forums! Because what can be good for one of us can cause harm to others and these, in turn, will fill the Forums with confusing news and solutions...
I realized the importance of making simple and straightforward use of OCLP, if we really want to use it before the Developers fix any problems. Otherwise, if something important to us doesn't work, khronokernel suggests we stick with Monterey and don't make individual attempts with OCLP settings if we're not Developers.

Last edited:

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2015
I have successfully installed macOS Monterey(and Safari 16.1) on my Mid 2010 MBP(MacBookPro6.1). But I'm having problems loading certain web pages(Adobe Flash). The screen just freezes. I'm thinking about installing the os again, and this time install macOS Big Sur. But the Safari that comes with the macOS Big Sur seems to be also version 16.1. So what should I do? Any piece of advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hello,
I’ve a question regarding upgrading my iMac14,2…

Basically at the moment I’ve got two partitions: Catalina (main driver, natively) and Monterey (testing / playground; driven by OCLP)!

Now I would like to upgrade from Catalina to Ventura (soon when free form app is ready I guess, which should be released in December).

I see 3 options:
USB-based: upgrade Catalina to Monterey then to Ventura, using OCLP-crafted stick
OTA-based: upgrade Catalina to Monterey then to Ventura, using in-place OTA upgrade
Time Machine: wipe Catalina partition, install Ventura, retrieve personal files / settings from TM backup

Which ones you guys had success with, which are definitely error prone?

Could I directly go from Catalina to Ventura also?

Thanks for pointers,
Joachim
Do not use timemachine, mine did not work, it would not boot normally, only a safe boot worked.
Also, do not use OTA to upgrade from former versions, I did this just to see if it works, took the change, didn’t work for me, some though reported succes.
Just go directly from Catalina to Ventura with a USB installer.( If Catalina is on APFs)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.