Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tinygoblin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2022
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to update EFI firmware (BootROM, iBridge) of my T2 Intel Mac without updating macOS. This cannot be done using regular Terminal methods (efiupdater and eficheck Terminal tools do not support T2-equipped Intel Macs). According to this article firmware on all T2 Intel Macs was recently updated by macOS Big Sur 11.6.3 & 11.6.4, macOS Monterey 12.2 & 12.2.1, macOS Catalina Security Update 2022-001 & 2022-002 to version EFI (BootROM) 1715.81.2.0.0 and iBridge is 19.16.10744.0.0,0. I never updated EFI firmware or iBridge on my machine so I don't have install.log to examine. However I suspect there may be some tips on how the firmware update is triggered and from where it sources the firmware.

Maybe someone who owns T2 Intel Mac (preferably MacBookPro16,1 or MacBookPro16,4) and who recently has updated macOS to 11.6.3 or 11.6.4 or to 12.2 / 12.2.1 can post entire contents of "var/log/install.log"?

If you're willing to help but not sure if you have T2 Intel Mac, please refer to this article at Apple for a list of T2-equipped models.

Kind regards,

tinygoblin

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
In the time it’s taken to investigate an alternative, you could have Carbon Copy Cloned your drive, installed Monterey, and restored your system. That’s what I did. My 2019 MacBook Pro has the latest firmware now and running Mojave 10.14.6. Not exactly an efficient or straightforward solution, but does achieve end result.

But I didn’t set out to do this. I just wanted to play around with Monterey and run some benchmarks, and noticed the install updated my firmware. But having said that, this is an approach that will get you the latest firmware update with only a moderate degree of hassle.

• Sad
Reactions: tinygoblin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.