Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Neptitude

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2018
Portland, Oregon
I am not sure but I think if you use the dosdude's MacOS High Sierra Patcher I think there is an option to force rebuild caches then hit reboot that might work

Oof. That's gonna require me to download the file again and throw it on a USB. I may wait to do that until in the morning, but I'll give it a shot.

phycodes

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2018
MacbookPro 5,1 here

I've been using dosdude1's tool since sierra on my MBP - this pup has been slowing down so I decided to swap the HDD with a SSD this weekend and am having the following issue with APFS (I recently realized the USB disk I had made was 10.13.3 and am creating 10.13.5 as we speak but would like confirmation before I run through all the motions again)

I formatted the SSD as APFS and the installer would not run:
Could not create a Preboot Volume for APFS install

I read that I needed to start with HFS+ and the installer would do it for me. So I installed High Sierra on the fresh SSD HFS+, when it restarted I interfered and had it boot from flash again to apply the patch then rebooted to allow installation to finish. I booted into a fresh OSX without APFS.

I then read I could convert in diskutility in recovery, so I went into recovery and unmounted and went to Edit > Convert to APFS and it went through without error but it wiped the drive clean. I unmounted because when mounted the option is grayed out.

How can I get APFS without losing data. I am open to either a fresh install or copying my HDD to my SSD and converting (takes a while and don't want to do it if my data is going to be wiped again).

I also saw in previous discussion a separate tool by dosdude1 for APFS boot flashing? When would i need to run this?

[edit] i don't know if i need to do this before or not but I attempted the APFS rom file form dosdude1 and it said to turn off and hold power button until LCD started to flash. I did this and nothing happened. MBP just turned on booted to my HDD which is currently an external until I get my SSD on APFS

[edit 2] So I booted from my now external HDD. I formatted the internal SSD while in my old OSX environment (not safe mode or USB) to APFS. I used the new USB image containing 10.13.5 and it installed like a charm!

Last edited:

jinch

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2018
Does anyone know if the High Sierra on unsupported machines has issues with APFS formatted drives? I recently used the patch to install High Sierra on my unsupported MacBook Pro Mid-2009. The machine has a new SSD (formatted HFS+) but from what I understands the new APFS format is supposed to be better with SSDs.

Before I reformat the drive though, I wanted to confirm what the ideal format should be for SSDs. According to this boot test there seems to be a significant slow down on unsupported machines formatted with APFS. Has anyone had experience with this or can make a suggestion for optimal performance?

Reactions: EugW

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hello,
I'm trying to use dosdude's tool but when patching/creating the bootable USB, I get a lot of errors about not being able to copy the files.

The FAQ says to reformat or to use another USB which I tried but I get all the time those errors. Any ideas how to fix it?

cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-07-02 at 13.21.59.png
    Screenshot 2018-07-02 at 13.21.59.png
    535.4 KB · Views: 639

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hello,
I'm trying to use dosdude's tool but when patching/creating the bootable USB, I get a lot of errors about not being able to copy the files.

The FAQ says to reformat or to use another USB which I tried but I get all the time those errors. Any ideas how to fix it?

cheers
The problem was running the patcher on macOS Mojave.

Jerky

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2018
Maybe somebody could help me. I would like to update a Mac Mini (late 2009) to High Sierra. After updating some Mac Pro (3.1), I thought it would be an easy going, but…
The installation starts perfectly from the prepared USB stick. But before finishing ("1 min left"), the update process stops, because some files couldn’t be found.
I tried: fresh installation, or update over an existing/running El Capitan system; always same -> no installation
I am using: latest macOS High Sierra Patcher Tool 2.62, mac OS 10.13.5 installer (USB works fine for Mac Pro 3.1)
Mac Mini (late 2009), Memory 8GB RAM, Samsung SSD EVO 850 256GB
Thanks for your help.

2008earlymacpro

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2018
I'd recommend a GeForce GTX680. Best flashable nVidia GPU that doesn't require web drivers.

thanks so much .... i just want to confirm before purchasing will this one work?
https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=5e58e11b-7c49-44c0-9348-bd7be168bd1b

@dosdude1 excited that i received the video card ....do you know any instructions / link on how to flash this thing so it will work in my mac ?

i'm looking at this video here but wanted to make sure its the right deal with you first ...its the not the same video card but does that matter ?

Last edited:

weezerr

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
I purposely made it NOT automatically convert to APFS. You can format a disk as APFS and install to that if you want an APFS based install. Without the post-install patches applied, the resulting install is 100% stock.

So to confirm I understand this properly, if I do a clean install on a Mac Pro 3,1 with a flashed 680, and choose HFS during the install, it will not do any APFS conversion at all? Even with the post-install patches?

Thanks!

hamachi

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
High Sierra failed to install correctly on an SSD on my Mac Pro 3,1. Prior to installation I formatted the drive as APFS, following the precautions here: http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

The installation runs quickly (12 minutes ). The post-install completes normally. The result at boot time is "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform! Reason: Mac-F42C88C8".

Mac Pro (Early 2008)
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
Memory 12 GB
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Apple SSD TS256C

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
High Sierra failed to install correctly on an SSD on my Mac Pro 3,1. Prior to installation I formatted the drive as APFS, following the precautions here: http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

The installation runs quickly (12 minutes ). The post-install completes normally. The result at boot time is "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform! Reason: Mac-F42C88C8".

Mac Pro (Early 2008)
Memory 12 GB
Apple SSD TS256C
Installing using HFS, it should work then.

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Hey dosdude, does ROMTool require High Sierra?

I was trying to dump my 5,1's system ROM from 10.12.6, I disabled SIP successfully but when I went to dump the ROM, it gave me the error 'DirectHW.kext was not loaded.'

Do I need to upgrade to HS first? Or reboot in Firmware Flash mode?

Last edited:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Hey dosdude, does ROMTool require High Sierra?

I was trying to dump my 5,1's system ROM from 10.12.6, I disabled SIP successfully but when I went to dump the ROM, it gave me the error 'DirectHW.kext was not loaded.'

Do I need to upgrade to HS first? Or reboot in Firmware Flash mode?
No, it should work in OS X 10.7 Lion and later. Verify that SIP is disabled, reboot, and then try it again.

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Huh, csrutil status returns that it's disabled. Maybe I'll try it in safe mode.

Otherwise I'll just upgrade to HS, seems to work there..

thicla01

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2017
Hum... It worked for me.

I have a Mac Pro 3.1 with a Samsung SSD 850 Pro that I've formatted with APFS.
Could you verify that file on your SSD?: /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist
You should see the following lines. Both lines are in a different sections near the end of each section.
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>

If those lines are not there, you will need to redo the post-install or add those lines with an editor in the file.

Mac Pro (Early 2008)
Memory 12 GB
Apple SSD TS256C

hiyel

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2005
Hello,

I read all the posts since page 145, but still not clear as to what the best way of upgrading to 10.13.5 is. I'm happily using 10.13.4 on a MacBook 5,1 formatted as HFS+. I was hoping that the patch updater app would get an update and I can simply use the App Store to upgrade without worrying. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ideally, I would like to keep my recovery partition, and I would rather not do a clean install from scratch due to time constraints. Is this possible? How?

From what I read, if I do a clean install from scratch, all will be fine and there will be recovery partition, but it's the longest option since one will need to setup the system with their preferences, software and restoring their files from backup. On the other end of the spectrum, one can just run the App Store update, but there will be no recovery partition, and according to some posts here, there is a chance that it may not work at all and a clean install will be required.

I would be really grateful if someone could list all the options to upgrade with their drawbacks, what is involved and how much time it takes.

Thanks in advance!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Hello,

I read all the posts since page 145, but still not clear as to what the best way of upgrading to 10.13.5 is. I'm happily using 10.13.4 on a MacBook 5,1 formatted as HFS+. I was hoping that the patch updater app would get an update and I can simply use the App Store to upgrade without worrying. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ideally, I would like to keep my recovery partition, and I would rather not do a clean install from scratch due to time constraints. Is this possible? How?

From what I read, if I do a clean install from scratch, all will be fine and there will be recovery partition, but it's the longest option since one will need to setup the system with their preferences, software and restoring their files from backup. On the other end of the spectrum, one can just run the App Store update, but there will be no recovery partition, and according to some posts here, there is a chance that it may not work at all and a clean install will be required.

I would be really grateful if someone could list all the options to upgrade with their drawbacks, what is involved and how much time it takes.

Thanks in advance!

If you do the “fresh install” method without erasing anything from your hard drive, it will (should) essentially do an upgrade install while also updating your recovery partition.

That’s how I did it.

Everything was there and working when I was done.

Be sure to choose your same name, username, short username, and password when navigating through the first screens.

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
Hello guys,
I've installed MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5 on my MacBook 5,2 and everything seems to be working fine except for scrolling and right clicking (the trackpad is detected falsely as a mouse). Before I had the patched version of Sierra on this machine and scrolling and right-clicking worked and if I remember correctly Post Install (Sierra Patcher) offered me to load kexts for this mouse-trackpad issue. Under the patcher for High Sierra I don't seem to have this option ... Does anybody of you know what kexts I do have to replace in order to get the trackpad working for scroll-support and right-clicking?

Also my Keyboard is falsely detected (function keys don't execute what they are supposed to (for example the keys for controlling audio launches Expose - do I need to remap something?

Thanks!

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
So, who did the regular 10.13.6 update? Did it work? I'm tempted to do the full fresh install type of update, given the problems people had with 10.13.5.

EDIT:

I am definitely going to wait for the 10.13.6 full installer. Judging by previous macOS releases, 10.13.6 is likely the last version of High Sierra, aside from some security updates. Makes sense to do a proper full install for these old machines for this last version.

Last edited:

ASILVAPT

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2018
Hi,

I install High Sierra with Patch on my MacBook Pro 5,5, and actually I’m having problems with WI-FI and I have the supported card.

My WI-FI now is showing “WI-FI: No hardware installed”. And some times crash and restart my mbp.

What I do?
I thought the problem is on install the High Sierra with Patch in unsupported mac and I do a clean install of El Capitan on my mbp, and the problem continues..

What I can do?
Please help me..
My mbp was running 100% before installing High Sierra with Patch.

Regards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.