Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

BartmanEH

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2017
So, who did the regular 10.13.6 update? Did it work?

Ugh. I blindly installed it and now my browser windows are all blank. Same with App Store etc. Email bodies are blank.

iMac10,1

UPDATE: ran the post-install tool to redo patches and all seems to be well!

Last edited:
Reactions: fischersd

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
The update seems stuck on my iMac 9,1. At first the system restarted and installed the iTunes update, separately for some reason, then after the 2nd restart it began installing the 13.6 update.

When it got down to three minutes left, it said “restarting” which I thought meant restarting the system, but it just restarted the update process in the same window, and it’s been stuck like that for about half an hour, just says “installing software update”.

Gonna leave it and check back in a bit to and see if it does anything.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Ugh. I blindly installed it and now my browser windows are all blank. Same with App Store etc. Email bodies are blank.

iMac10,1
Ouch. Thanks for taking one for the team. :confused:

I wonder if OnyX would fix that, but for me, that settles it. I'm definitely waiting for the full installer.

idealtracks

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2014
Just took a risk and updated my 3,1 MacPro running raid0 on an Apricorn card. First I installed the newest LittleSnitch update from today and rebooted once. Then began the 10.13.6 update. It got about 3/4 finished then displayed "the operation couldn't be completed. (PKInstallErrorDomain error 112.)" with a restart button. Clicking this led to a black screen and after about 5 minutes I decided to shutdown using off button. When I turned it back on, it began rebooting normally but instead of displaying the desktop, the installer started back at about the same point as it left off with the failure, saying 16 minutes remaining... and this time the update worked.

Spotlight went nuts rescanning everything (having lost my previous limited settings.) After I killed the MDS process and reset the Spotlight settings I like, the system is running fine now and the update apparently took although it does not show up in my updates history. I checked the console for new errors and it looks to be about the same amount of activity as 10.13.5. System reports it is at 10.13.6 and I have used the new iTunes 12.8.0 Airplay feature without issue.

The only real difference I noticed is that iTunes launches faster. System seems to be running great now--I've got multiple browser windows open, streaming my home security camera in one, running iMessages and Spotify, little snitch, a VPN, etc, and system and user loads are only about 5%-7% according to Activity Monitor, which is a bit less than what I'm used to seeing! Going to stress it tonight with Logic and see if it's truly better off. So far, I'm happy.

Last edited:

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
MB 5,2 used the MAS and it appeared to hang during install. I rebooted and it reports its on .6. I had to reinstall the patches and everything seems normal. Just wondering if I really got the whole update tho.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hi,

I install High Sierra with Patch on my MacBook Pro 5,5, and actually I’m having problems with WI-FI and I have the supported card.

My WI-FI now is showing “WI-FI: No hardware installed”. And some times crash and restart my mbp.

What I do?
I thought the problem is on install the High Sierra with Patch in unsupported mac and I do a clean install of El Capitan on my mbp, and the problem continues..

What I can do?
Please help me..
My mbp was running 100% before installing High Sierra with Patch.

Regards.
did you install the post install patches
[doublepost=1531183157][/doublepost]
So, who did the regular 10.13.6 update? Did it work? I'm tempted to do the full fresh install type of update, given the problems people had with 10.13.5.

EDIT:

I am definitely going to wait for the 10.13.6 full installer. Judging by previous macOS releases, 10.13.6 is likely the last version of High Sierra, aside from some security updates. Makes sense to do a proper full install for these old machines for this last version.
I updated mine to 10.13.6 no issues here so far fingers crossed

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Well that was a waste of over an hour. iMac 9,1 update hung, forced reboot, then had to run the post-install patch via USB and now everything works but like the 13.4 and 13.5 updates before, this one says it's updated but it's not.

System showed an error saying "updates not installed" a couple of times on reboot, MAS doesn't show as updated, About this mac - system report - Installations - there is no record of 13.6 update. But the system does show as running 13.6. Will re-do once the full installer is available.

Reactions: roronl

BartmanEH

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2017
Assuming MAS = Mac Apple Store, mine shows no updates available but system report shows no record of installing 10.13.6. About This Mac shows 10.13.6 so, hmm, is it updated or not? Since the update process broke things, e.g. browser windows blank, and the post-install patch tool fixed things, I’m inclined to believe that it is indeed updated but since the recovery partition update fails with an error (known issue since 10.13.5?), the update process did not complete to the end and, therefore, did not put an entry in the system log.

Last edited:
Reactions: zrw2011

weezerr

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
MP3,1 here ... Updated to 10.13.6 without a single hitch.

So I can just upgrade through the App Store as normal to 10.13.6? Then boot again off the flash drive with dosdude tool and put the post-install patches on afterwards?

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
MP3,1 here ... Updated to 10.13.6 without a single hitch.

What exactly is your configuration? Is the system volume HFS or APFS? Also do you have the recovery partition patches installed? I am rather surprised that you managed to get the 10.13.6 system update to apply without a hang at some point in the process.
[doublepost=1531223157][/doublepost]IMHO, what is more worrying is how we will get the security updates to cleanly apply on unsupported machines in the future as there won't be the option of falling back to the full installer for that. I recall that the Security Update 2018-001 didn't cleanly apply on patched High Sierra and we had to wait for the following Software Update that had those changes to cleanly apply them with the full installer.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
So I can just upgrade through the App Store as normal to 10.13.6? Then boot again off the flash drive with dosdude tool and put the post-install patches on afterwards?

I am just sharing my experience on a MP3,1 ... I updated via the app store without anything breaking.

What exactly is your configuration? Is the system volume HFS or APFS? Also do you have the recovery partition patches installed? I am rather surprised that you managed to get the 10.13.6 system update to apply without a hang at some point in the process.
[doublepost=1531223157][/doublepost]IMHO, what is more worrying is how we will get the security updates to cleanly apply on unsupported machines in the future as there won't be the option of falling back to the full installer for that. I recall that the Security Update 2018-001 didn't cleanly apply on patched High Sierra and we had to wait for the following Software Update that had those changes to cleanly apply them with the full installer.

System config in signature, with the system volume being APFS, a working recovery and patched ROM (APFS+NVMe). I previously carried out a full install of 10.13.5 over 10.13.4 without formatting the system volume.

YMMV

mumux

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2015
Hello

I have MP 3.1 with a Radeon R9 280x (flashed).
The card used to work very well until the 10.13.4 update when the GPU speed went from 1000Mhz to 150Mhz.
Subsequent OSX updates didn't change the situation. I did run the post install so the drivers are patched.
I googled about it and all the PC users that had this issue reported it was because of driver problems.

Booting into 10.11 restores the correct speed, so the card is working fine, it seems a driver related problem.

Anyone with the same problem? Any idea on how to fix it? I plan to change the card for a 680 asap but until then ...

Thank you

Polar Hacker

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2014
Hello there! I would like to upgrade my 2009 Mac Mini to High Sierra via this method, however, I noticed that my Wi-Fi card is not supported. Can anybody lead me to where I can buy an internal one that would be supported with High Sierra? Thanks! :)

Sevenfeet

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
OK, so before I actually upgrade my two Mac Pro 3,1 machines:

Last time when it was time to do 10.13.5, the Mac Store updater would freeze part way through when it ran into trouble with the recovery partition (though it wasn't necessary for the main OS). The workaround was to either reboot and deal with it or to install from a USB stick with a complete 10.13.5 installer. I did this twice and got around the recovery partition error but there are a few issues post boot to deal with (network settings erased, machine name set to default, sharing points eliminated and had to be reconfigured).

So for 10.13.6, do we have to do the whole USB installer stick again in order to avoid all trouble or can we just do the Mac App Store installer and be good?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
OK, so before I actually upgrade my two Mac Pro 3,1 machines:

Last time when it was time to do 10.13.5, the Mac Store updater would freeze part way through when it ran into trouble with the recovery partition (though it wasn't necessary for the main OS). The workaround was to either reboot and deal with it or to install from a USB stick with a complete 10.13.5 installer. I did this twice and got around the recovery partition error but there are a few issues post boot to deal with (network settings erased, machine name set to default, sharing points eliminated and had to be reconfigured).

So for 10.13.6, do we have to do the whole USB installer stick again in order to avoid all trouble or can we just do the Mac App Store installer and be good?
Up to you, but I'm going to do the 10.13.6 full install, because it seems like it would be the safest. Plus it looks like 10.13.6 will likely be the last version of 10.13 (besides security updates), so now is the time to do a full install for peace of mind going forward. There will likely not be a 10.13.7 to fully install.

Sevenfeet

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Up to you, but I'm going to do the 10.13.6 full install, because it seems like it would be the safest. Plus it looks like 10.13.6 will likely be the last version of 10.13 (besides security updates), so now is the time to do a full install for peace of mind going forward. There will likely not be a 10.13.7 to fully install.

I agree. Which means I'll need to make a new USB stick (not a huge problem). But I don't think the full installer has been posted to the Mac App Store yet, so we wait. In the meantime, I'll download the Combo installer to keep in my installers collection.

MacGuyRookie

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2016
When I updated to 10.13.5 from the App store (awhile back), at the end of the install I got the "some updates not installed." However, best I could tell everything was installed except that a poster here said the recovery partition didn't update. There was no indication on the App store that the install had happened. I assumed I'd have problems with the 10.13.6 update. It did show up in the Updates pending section of the App store yesterday so I decided to just let it download as I would have on a supported machine (mine is a MBP 5,5). Surprisingly, the update completed as advertised with no hiccups. It showed that it was completed in the Update section of the App store and on the software installation log it showed up there also as installed. So all's well. I've not run any of the post install patches or anything. It just works as is!! Thank you Sir Dosdude1!

MDangerous

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Computer: MacPro3,1
Current OS: 10.13.5

I tried to update to 10.13.6 from the App Store. First, I got a recovery partition error then once everything was installed I got blank browser pages, blank email, etc like some previous posters. I restored from backup back to 10.13.5. I have not tried the post-install tool to fix the issues yet,

Last edited:

ASILVAPT

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2018
Hi,

I install High Sierra with Patch on my MacBook Pro 5,5, and actually I’m having problems with WI-FI and I have the supported card.

My WI-FI now is showing “WI-FI: No hardware installed”. And some times crash and restart my mbp.

What I do?
I thought the problem is on install the High Sierra with Patch in unsupported mac and I do a clean install of El Capitan on my mbp, and the problem continues..

What I can do?
Please help me..
My mbp was running 100% before installing High Sierra with Patch.

Regards.

Please help me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.