Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
The installer app version is the same, the contents of the installer are what changes.

DarrenNI

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Same here on my machine (MacBookPro 4,1), plus Safari not working. 10.13.1 Beta1 update shows up in App Store as 1.7GB in size, after install correct build number is shown (17B25c). Had to revert back to macOS 10.13 release.
Please someone share a direct d/l link for the full installer or provide a step-by-step method how to wrap the installer packages provided here:

https://www.zoneactu.fr/2017/09/27/...sierra-10-13-1-developer-beta-1-liens-pkg-dmg

into an installer suited for dosdude1's patcher? Highly appreciated.

Same here (MacBookPro 5,4) - Safari and App Store not working. That'll teach me to not install betas without checking if the patcher's been updated. :)

KvR

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
Amsterdam
I also got the red login window on my Mac Pro 3,1 + HD 5770. Interestingly, when I log in remotely the screen is red too. This lead me to think this actually a file or an attibute that could be changed and not a driver arctifact.

Turns out my
/Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop.admin.png
was a single pane red image!

I deleted the image and it solved the red login window. Just resetting your background wallpaper probably also does the trick.

Last edited:

olrik77

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
France
I also got the red login window on my Mac Pro 3,1 + HD 5770. Interestingly, when I log in remotely the screen is red too. This lead me to think this actually a file or an attibute that could be changed and not a driver arctifact.

Turns out my

I deleted the image and it solved the red login window. Just resetting your background wallpaper probably also does the trick.
Hello from France,

Exactly the same issue with my MacPro 3,1 + HD 5770 : red login screen and sleep/wake non functional.
Trying to install, reinstall, patch and repatch with the Dosdude patch release 2.3.3 : no success !

Going back to El Capitan or Sierra ?

Merci à tous

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Hello from France,

Exactly the same issue with my MacPro 3,1 + HD 5770 : red login screen and sleep/wake non functional.
Trying to install, reinstall, patch and repatch with the Dosdude patch release 2.3.3 : no success !

Going back to El Capitan or Sierra ?

Merci à tous
This is an issue with High Sierra, I believe. It's apparently also happening to users of officially supported Mac Pros.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
The original HD 2600 XT will work.
I am using a GTX 680 and sleep/wake seems to work fine on that too but not extensively tested with long sleep periods.

Red login window is not big deal, but wake-up is for me.
My Mac is always on and sleep after 1 hour if you do not do anything.
HD 7950 is very expensive card and I have this about 3-4 years.

So should I replace it and can someone confirm GPU-cards what are fully compatible?
I have original HD 2600 XT will that work?

thicla01

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2017

Turns out my

Thanks! It worked for me too. Mac Pro 3.1 + ATI Radeon HD 5870

Sevenfeet

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
OK, I have what I think is a new problem. Up until now, I've successfully upgraded a MacBook 5,1 and a Mac Pro 3,1 to HS without incident. But my desktop Mac Pro 3,1 is very weird. During the boot process of the USB stick to get to the installer, the boot process crashes with a kernel panic. (generic gray screen with no useful information). This is a machine that has a SoftRAID 5.6.3 volume (RAID 5) which is supposed to be HS compatible. And the boot drive is a Fusion drive. Not sure which (if either) is causing the crash. The video card is a Nvidia 8800 (original Apple) which should be fine.

I could open the case and pull the RAID 5 drives out enough to boot without them and see what happens. I was going to rebuild the array anyway.

Thoughts dosdude1 or anyone else?

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017

cinergi

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2012
Tried to upgrade a Macbook5,1 using dosdude1's patcher. After High Sierra installation, booted back to installer USB drive, launched Disk Utility, converted Macintosh HD to APFS (it's a Samsung 850 EVO SSD), then launched "macOS Post Install" and applied the recommended patches including the APFS patch.

After rebooting to the SSD (Macintosh HD), the boot process is interrupted with a message "Boot file not found, exiting..." and the Shell> prompt.

The SSD is encrypted using FileVault, if it matters.

Any ideas?

Thanks
cinergi

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Tried to upgrade a Macbook5,1 using dosdude1's patcher. After High Sierra installation, booted back to installer USB drive, launched Disk Utility, converted Macintosh HD to APFS (it's a Samsung 850 EVO SSD), then launched "macOS Post Install" and applied the recommended patches including the APFS patch.

After rebooting to the SSD (Macintosh HD), the boot process is interrupted with a message "Boot file not found, exiting..." and the Shell> prompt.

The SSD is encrypted using FileVault, if it matters.

Any ideas?

Thanks
cinergi
Yeah, unfortunately the APFS booting implementation doesn't support FileVault APFS volumes at this time. If you must use FileVault, you'll need to use an HFS volume. Otherwise, disable FileVault on your APFS volume and it'll work just fine.
[doublepost=1506739521][/doublepost]
Are you sure this works if upstream has only released a Software Update version of the seed rather than a full installer? I find that if I change DownloadSettings.plist to have...

https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...ion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz

that the downloaded installer installs 17A365 rather than 17B25c.
Hmm, maybe not, then.. You may just have to install the final build, and update to the beta after running the Public Beta Access Utility.

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
Yeah, unfortunately the APFS booting implementation doesn't support FileVault APFS volumes at this time. If you must use FileVault, you'll need to use an HFS volume. Otherwise, disable FileVault on your APFS volume and it'll work just fine.
[doublepost=1506739521][/doublepost]
Hmm, maybe not, then.. You may just have to install the final build, and update to the beta after running the Public Beta Access Utility.

Not sure if this is related to changing the Catalog URL, but using the 2.3.3 High Sierra Patcher to download and create a new usb installer produces a system which constantly spews this in the system log...

Sep 29 22:55:19 Mac-Pro apfshelperd[2366]: Booter volume not found
Sep 29 22:55:19 Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.dosdude1.apfshelperd[2366]): Service exited with abnormal code: 255
Sep 29 22:55:19 Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.dosdude1.apfshelperd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

oedipax

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
Apologies in advance for this probably dumb question, I just want to make sure I understand correctly.

So I'm trying to install High Sierra on an Early 2009 MacPro (4,1) currently running El Capitan 10.11.6.

I've downloaded the High Sierra installer and patched it with the latest provided utility. I've then used the utility to transfer this to a freshly formatted (OS X Extended, Journaled) 32gb USB thumb drive, which worked fine.

However, whether I reboot and hold option down, or choose the USB thumbdrive as my startup disk in OS X, the only thing I get after rebooting and waiting a while is a black screen.

My GPU is a GeForce GTX 660 Ti.

Do I need to pop in an older GPU in order to make this work? Is there no way to do this headless?

Could I remove my startup HD from my tower, mount it externally on my laptop (already running High Sierra) and update it there?

Or any other possible process that DOESN'T involve switching out the damn GPU?

I ask because I bought this machine in 2009. I really have no idea where the original GPU even is now - that was several moves ago...

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Not sure if this is related to changing the Catalog URL, but using the 2.3.3 High Sierra Patcher to download and create a new usb installer produces a system which constantly spews this in the system log...

Sep 29 22:55:19 Mac-Pro apfshelperd[2366]: Booter volume not found
Sep 29 22:55:19 Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.dosdude1.apfshelperd[2366]): Service exited with abnormal code: 255
Sep 29 22:55:19 Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.dosdude1.apfshelperd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
That's something leftover from the old helper volume APFS booting implementation... Just run "sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.dosdude1.apfshelperd.plist" in Terminal, which will get rid of that issue.
[doublepost=1506741633][/doublepost]
Apologies in advance for this probably dumb question, I just want to make sure I understand correctly.

So I'm trying to install High Sierra on an Early 2009 MacPro (4,1) currently running El Capitan 10.11.6.

I've downloaded the High Sierra installer and patched it with the latest provided utility. I've then used the utility to transfer this to a freshly formatted (OS X Extended, Journaled) 32gb USB thumb drive, which worked fine.

However, whether I reboot and hold option down, or choose the USB thumbdrive as my startup disk in OS X, the only thing I get after rebooting and waiting a while is a black screen.

My GPU is a GeForce GTX 660 Ti.

Do I need to pop in an older GPU in order to make this work? Is there no way to do this headless?

Could I remove my startup HD from my tower, mount it externally on my laptop (already running High Sierra) and update it there?

Or any other possible process that DOESN'T involve switching out the damn GPU?

I ask because I bought this machine in 2009. I really have no idea where the original GPU even is now - that was several moves ago...

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Yeah, you need a flashed GPU in order to view the installer. You can use your other machine to perform the update, just select your Mac Pro's hard disk as the one to install to, and the one to patch with the post-install tool. Also select MacPro4,1 as the desired model in the post-install tool.

oedipax

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
Yeah, you need a flashed GPU in order to view the installer. You can use your other machine to perform the update, just select your Mac Pro's hard disk as the one to install to, and the one to patch with the post-install tool. Also select MacPro4,1 as the desired model in the post-install tool.
Thanks! I will do that. Appreciate the quick response and the tool :)

tejel

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Hello,

I'm trying to create the installer USB but it crashes everytime, it gives me this message:
Captura de pantalla 2017-09-30 a las 10.12.50.png

I tried with two different usb sticks and gave me the same error.

¿Can you help me please?

Thanks!

DarrenNI

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Same here (MacBookPro 5,4) - Safari and App Store not working. That'll teach me to not install betas without checking if the patcher's been updated. :)

Bizarre - both have now started working, despite me having changed absolutely nothing overnight.

Yipee2016

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2016
I have new "red" bugs with Mac Pro 3.1 (Radeon 6870) :
- when I try to use fullscreen app (like mail) I have a "flashing" red full screen. Not very annoying but a bit strange.
- in Preview app with pdf file, when I scroll, some parts of the file are red.

Anyone with this kind of bugs ?

Blackriton

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Paris
I have new "red" bugs with Mac Pro 3.1 (Radeon 6870) :
- when I try to use fullscreen app (like mail) I have a "flashing" red full screen. Not very annoying but a bit strange.
- in Preview app with pdf file, when I scroll, some parts of the file are red.

Anyone with this kind of bugs ?

Me on a 3,1 with the 5770 card. I just tested a pdf in Preview and I got the same flashing red parts. But not happening with Acrobat Reader instead of Preview..............!!!!!!!!!! Let's hope its a general bug on High Sierra like the wake-up bug
and not related to the Radeon card ??????

cmbag

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Hello. I tried again, and after installation, appeared the "forbidden" signal. I had to "format" the disk and install an old version (usb) that I had created with your patch.

Downloaded again from your Google Drive, and it seems the version is 21st september. The final version is from 25th september.

Tonight I will try again, but I am afraid, It will not install de 10.13 version.

I worked with the clean installation, and got the 10.13 version. I had to erase the Hard Drive. Now I already have the 10.13.1 beta, from apple beta program. It is working smooth and fast on my MacBook Pro mid-2009 (160GB disk, 8 GB RAM).

th3joker

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2007
@dosdude1 Currently running High Sierra on my Mac Pro 3,1 works fine no problems but I'm planning on installing the drive into my new 4.1 when it arrives, is there a way to reverse/uninstall the patch and the boot stuff for APFS. I'll be flashing it to 5.1 Firmware first obviously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.