Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

shuyama

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
Hello. Everyone.
The problem of Geforce I posted in # 1826 has been solved so I will report it.

A warning appears when installing NVIDIA Web Driver Ver. 378.10.10.10.15.114, ignoring it, choosing Continue, and installing the driver. After ending the installer and restarting, Geforce side screen has invalid acceleration and UI transparency is also invalid.

In that state, installing NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext as described on the website and restarting it enabled acceleration, and the transparency of the UI was also reflected.

Finally, we were able to build the environment of High Sierra! I'm glad!

The report is over.
Hopefully I am fortunate to serve those who have the same problem.

Thank you and best regards,

craigtheguru

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
Unfortunately, i previously ran "install.sh" twice, as there was a strange "invalid signature" error – so the backup files got overwritten! XD

So i did a High Sierra clean install on an old hdd, copied the mentioned files from that HS clean install to my current HS SSD, shut down the Mac, reinstalled the GTX680 i received yesterday and powered up the Mac Pro.

Yay!!! \o/

Everything works nice and smoothly now!
Boot screen with HS-wallpaper, smooth graphics/UI/video, no red graphic issues, no wake-from-sleep-issue, full Metal-support, etc..

View attachment 723760

dosdude1, you are a rockstar! :)
Thanks again for your great support! Also thanks a lot to everybody else for the helpful ideas, tips and hints!

Cheers,
Dan

P.S.: i have not applied the AFPS patch yet, still using HFS+ (as i finally got everything up and running and i don't see any benefit right now)

Thanks dandoe, I'll do this approach tonight right before the x680 upgrade. Good news is I have a Mac Mini with High Sierra on it and I can just grab the kexts from it.

Reactions: dandoe

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
You can go straight to 10.13 from 10.11.

thanks appreciate the reply
[doublepost=1507237435][/doublepost]2008 early mac pro do we need to select to install the recovery partition patch when choosing the patches we want to install? or does it do it automatically?

dandoe

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017
Germany
Thanks dandoe, I'll do this approach tonight right before the x680 upgrade. Good news is I have a Mac Mini with High Sierra on it and I can just grab the kexts from it.

Great, that should do the trick! :)

And sorry for any confusion, the "AMD_Backup" folder was created by the script inside the 10.12AMDKexts.zip, which i only used while i tried to fix my problems with the AMD card!

The GTX680 works without any patch indeed.

I just had to reinstall those kext files from a clean installed HS disk because i messed things up while i was using an ADM 6870.

Just install the GTX680 and copy the mentioned kext files from your Mac Mini and you are good to go! :)

Cheers,
Dan

Last edited:

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Has anyone successfully installed High Sierra on a 17-inch, mid-2009 MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,2)? I've confirmed that my wifi card is compatible and am thinking about pulling the trigger on the upgrade.

I have the same form factor 2009 17-inch MacBook Pro, with 8 MB of RAM, and have successfully installed High Sierra via dosdude1's patches. [Thanks DOSDUDE1, and yes, capitals are intentional]

I am currently running High Sierra 10.13.1, utilizing APFS, without any obvious problems.

Note, however, that my MacBook Pro has a *Hybrid HDD*, which does not (fully function) as would a Fusion Drive, nor is this hybrid drive implemented as would an SSD.

Having said that, the machine is fast, subjectively faster than under Sierra.
Hope that helps.
[doublepost=1507241898][/doublepost]
You can go straight to 10.13 from 10.11.
@dosdude1 et al.-- informational

[doublepost=1507241758][/doublepost]Apple released supplemental update for High Sierra 13.0, which fixes some major security issues. However, this update will not appear for users running 10.13.1 (beta). This has been verified via review of posts on Apple Developer Forum.

I installed "supplemental update" on a fully supported late 2012 iMac, running 10.13 (not the beta) Once update was installed, the 10.13.1 beta, previously available as an update, disappeared from selection menu. I have to assume Apple will release new beta 10.13.X which will include security and bug fixes applied to 10.13.

Last edited:

MisutaaUrufu

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
Is there any benefit switching the harddrive over to the newer file system apfs or what ever its called? Is it worth it, or is it fine leaving the harddrive format as is when upgrading thru the patch?

APFS' differential copies is it's biggest user facing feature; this means that multiple copies of a file will only record the changes between each file, referring back to the original for any unchanged data.

This means files take less space on your disk and copy exponentially faster on disk.

(may be horridly botching the explanation here but that's the gist of it)

An High Sierra supplemental update appeared tonight in the App Store and was installed without an hitch on my MacPro 3,1 with Radeon 5770 but no change for the Preview+pdf red bug and I didn't test the sleep issue either.

I think that the appearance of this update (with no numbered change) probably shows that the 10.13.1 may also appear in the App Store without repatching the installation with dosdude1's patch.

The supplemental update only changed a minor bug in disk utility which saved the password for an APFS encrypted volume in the "hint" field, making encrypted volumes vulnerable to unauthorized in-person access. As far as i know anyways, unless someone cares to correct me.

Reactions: j2048b

Fredblogg

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
An High Sierra supplemental update appeared tonight in the App Store and was installed without an hitch on my MacPro 3,1 with Radeon 5770 but no change for the Preview+pdf red bug and I didn't test the sleep issue either.

I think that the appearance of this update (with no numbered change) probably shows that the 10.13.1 may also appear in the App Store without repatching the installation with dosdude1's patch.
I don't see an update in the App Store....is there another method of getting it?
[doublepost=1507244496][/doublepost]I have a MacPro 3,1 but the 10.13.1 is not showing the the update section of the app store. The patch updater shows the software update patch is installed. I was able to update a more recent Mac today but not the MacPro...will it show eventually??

MisutaaUrufu

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
I don't see an update in the App Store....is there another method of getting it?
[doublepost=1507244496][/doublepost]I have a MacPro 3,1 but the 10.13.1 is not showing the the update section of the app store. The patch updater shows the software update patch is installed. I was able to update a more recent Mac today but not the MacPro...will it show eventually??

They were suggesting that since the supplemental update installed without repatching that the future 10.13.1 update might install without patching as well.

10.13.1 is not available as of yet. The supplemental update is a security patch and does not change the version number of macOS

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
The supplemental update appeared here on a patched MacPro 3,1 and applied without issues.

ABQdude

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Albuquerque
Tried to apply the Supplemental update to a HFS+ HS clean install on a SSD on a Mac Pro 3,1. It went through the whole process but the Build Number stayed at 17A365 rather than the 17A405 others are reporting. Did this twice with no success. App Store still shows the update as available and not installed. Then tried the direct download of the update, but got the alert :This software is not supported on your system.". Anyone else have success on a 3,1 and verified the build number as 17A405?

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Neither one of my 8gb or 2tb usb can be detected by my mac pro, not sure why?

Do we need to disable SIP as well?

BookEmDanno

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2010
State of ~Aloha!~
Re-format your USB drive in Disk Utility, and ensure all other unnecessary drives are unmounted.
@airtiger - Were you able to resolve this issue? I am seeing the same error on my end:

Screenshot:
https://imgur.com/a/1jMit

I have formatted the drive and double checked that all other installers are unmounted correctly.

Thanks!

Don't know if you have resolved this particular issue as I had the same. Following the suggestion of dosdude1, I erased/reformatted my usb thumb drive, and using dosdude1's 2.3.6 HS patcher, I re-downloaded the HS install file and was able to use the same usb drive.

By the way, when I re-patched my unsupported MBP5,3, it seems that it automatically installed the "supplemental" version of HS.

Regards.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Hey Guys,

So, I successfully upgraded to MacOS High Sierra, but how do I convert to APFS format? When I try to do it through Disk Utility, the option is greyed out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Hey Guys,

So, I successfully upgraded to MacOS High Sierra, but how do I convert to APFS format? When I try to do it through Disk Utility, the option is greyed out?

Unmount the volume, then convert. You must be doing this after booting off the installer USB drive. Be sure to run the post-install patch afterwards.

BookEmDanno

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2010
State of ~Aloha!~
You
Hey Guys,

You have to run Disk Utility from your USB boot drive. It's under the utilities window. Unmount, highlight the drive, and convert to APFS should be one of the menu items.

Regards.

Blackriton

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Paris
Great, that should do the trick! :)

And sorry for any confusion, the "AMD_Backup" folder was created by the script inside the 10.12AMDKexts.zip, which i only used while i tried to fix my problems with the AMD card!

The GTX680 works without any patch indeed.

I just had to reinstall those kext files from a clean installed HS disk because i messed things up while i was using an ADM 6870.

Just install the GTX680 and copy the mentioned kext files from your Mac Mini and you are good to go! :)

I just copied the 6 kexts from an HS installation on a MacBook Pro and I will replace the ones on a MacPro 3,1 just before replacing later the Radeon with a GTX 680. Should also work and I will give it a try...............

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Thanks @dosdude1 and @BookEmDanno! Got it converted and patched, and looks like we are rocking and rolling.

Last issue - It looks like my brightness control isn't working. I installed the backlight control patch and rebuilt my Kext cache, but even though I see the on-screen notifications, the brightness is NOT actually changing.

Anyone else seeing this issue? Thanks again.

monoton

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Oslo / Tokyo
Great work, thanks a lot! I did this to my MacBook Pro 4,1 (early 2008), very happy with it :) My Wi-Fi module was not supported, however solved that by replacing the module by a Atheros AR5BXB112, those are available on ebay for as little as $10! Putting in AR5BXB112 had three great effects over the original unsupported card:
- Could use the third antenna already in the machine from factory but never used by previous dual channel Broadcom card, enabling up to 450mbps speed! (3x faster than original unsupported card!).
-Got AirDrop support, something the old card never could do.
-And of course driver support under High Sierra! Absolutely recommend getting the AR5BXB112 to solve this issue, many benefits in addition to having the driver support there. Now, HD AirPlay streaming has no issues, even with high bitrates.

Further upgrades I did to the machine is 6GB memory (4GB + 2GB modules) and a brand new battery. As new now with this latest macOS.

Also have some ExpressCard/34 cards on the way from eBay, eSATA II, dual USB 3.0 and eGPU adapter for the fun of it. It also has an SSD installed.

Useful workarounds I have found for two minor issues :
1. The right click does not work on the trackpad (with two fingers), trackpad panel only displayed Bluetooth trackpad connection option, as if it did not realize a trackpad was installed. I solved this by replacing the Trackpad panel with the one from El Capitan. From there I could adjust the features, like right click with two fingers etc. I suppose the HS panel is not expecting that particular trackpad, so it does not "look" for it when the panel launches. I discovered that all the Multitouch gestures will work after installing the Trackpad System Preferences panel from El Capitan!
2. You might notice that the Arabesque.saver screensaver runs very slowly. The reason is that it is compiled to probably use OpenGL 4.x or Metal calls, which will be ran in software rendering if the GPU is not compliant (like on all unsupported Macs). The solution is to delete it and copy over the Arabesque.qtz from El Capitan! Problem solved, it will render on the hardware in full with a smooth frame-rate.

Further, is it required to fully disable SIP ('csrutil disable')? Could it be enough to keep everything except kext signing requirement enabled ('csrutil enable --without kext')?

Thanks again for this amazing work! Fantastic!

EDIT:
The trackpad issue resolved itself after updating the post installation with the latest version and / or applying the 10.13.1 Beta 2. Not sure which one solved it however now I can use the original High Sierra pref panel for the touchpad. Oh, and remember to apply the Software Update patch again after updating with new minor releases from Apple, if not downloading will not function - even in Safari or Firefox.

Have used EXP GDC external GPU adapter with great success! Many fold higher frame-rate in many 3D graphical apps. Can even use Metal 2 supported eGPU via the ExpressCard/34 slot.

I use the latest Nvidia Web drivers with both the internal and external graphics! :)

Last edited:

Blackriton

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Paris
I just installed the GTX 680 on my MacPro 3,1.

No sleep problems or red patch in Preview but one important problem : FinalCut Pro last version which was perfectly working with the Radeon 5770 under HS 10.13 is crashing with "no acceleration" message. I also didn't get the Metal support in the System Report here enclosed compared with what Dandoe obtained with a close configuration to mine ?????

VLC is not working either (only sound no video) but videos can be read by QuickTime.

I tried to install the Nvidia web drivers recently released for High Sierra 378.10.10.10.15.114 but they refused to be installed with message "can't be install on High Sierra" !!!!!!

Very strange as everything was perfect under the Radeon card which is much less powerful...........

Attachments

• Capture de région 1.png
    Capture de région 1.png
    73 KB · Views: 277
  • Capture de région 2.png
    Capture de région 2.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

olrik77

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
France
Bonjour,

On my MacPro 3,1, i just switched the ATI HD 5770 for a Nvidia GTX 680 (2Go).
Clean install with Dosdude patch (last release).
Everything OK : no red flag or sleep/wake problems.
All is running smoothly and fast !

Merci mille fois for this amazing work

PJN

Reactions: j2048b

Blackriton

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Paris
Finally success after re-install via Dosdude1's patch and post-install. Final cut, VLC are working and Metal is now recognized in the System Report !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big thanks to the great and amazing work done by Dosdude1 with his patching stuff !!!!!

Reactions: dandoe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.