Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Blackriton

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Paris
I have a Mac Pro 3.1 and my copy and paste abilities are completely dead after installing the new Apple Supplemental Update for 10.13.

Your copy/paste bug is not related to the Supplemental Update. Iam also on a 3.1 and copy/paste works after applying the sup update.

vindicatifredo

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2017
Hello
first I want to thank you all for your work and especially mr dosdude1!!!
i have a Mac Pro 3,1 with an AMD 7870,he runs very well under Sierra (with the patch of mister dosdude1)
i have tried to install high Sierra with the patch ,all is good to install high Sierra,i reboot to patch, and the issue comes...
the Mac refuses to starts ,I know that the problem is the AMD 7870,she runs perfectly under Sierra but I think apple has changed the driver of AMD between Sierra and high Sierra .
i have decided to copy the AMD driver kext and the two ioaccelerator kext from Sierra to the extensions of high Sierra ,after this the Mac Pro starts but there's no acceleration and the card is not fully functional ,I have two monitors connected(one hdmi/one dvi) and only one works ,the system recognizes the card in the system information, so i don't understand the way to go...
thank you
excuse me for my English ,I'm French .

Last edited:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Hello
first I want to thank you all for your work and especially mr dosdude1!!!
i have a Mac Pro 3,1 with an AMD 7870,he runs very well under Sierra (with the patch of mister dosdude1)
i have tried to install high Sierra with the patch ,all is good to install high Sierra,i reboot to patch, and the issue comes...
the Mac refuses to starts ,I know that the problem is the AMD 7870,she runs perfectly under Sierra but I think apple has changed the driver of AMD between Sierra and high Sierra .
i have decided to copy the AMD driver kext and the two ioaccelerator kext from Sierra to the extensions of high Sierra ,after this the Mac Pro starts but there's no acceleration and the card is not fully functional ,I have two monitors connected(one hdmi/one dvi) and only one works ,the system recognizes the card in the system information, so i don't understand the way to go...
thank you
excuse me for my English ,I'm French .
Did you use the latest version of High Sierra Patcher, and install the AMD GPU Patch?

oedipax

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
A MacPro 4,1 does not need dosdude1's patch. Just run the firmware updater (google is your friend) and update the 4,1 firmware to MP 5,1 and then it is an officially supported Mac. Tip, you MUST have an official Apple efi GPU installed to run the firmware update to 5,1.
I guess I have to add this every time I make a post in this thread or I will get this kind of response. I have tried on several different occasions to get the 4,1 to 5,1 flash to work, to no avail. Most recently I acquired a Radeon 5770 with a Mac-friendly EFI and the result was no different. The light on my tower flashed, the long tone played, I booted back up into OS X, and my computer was still reported as a 4,1.

So, with that out of the way, has anyone encountered the problem I posted about, which is that after using DosDude1's patch to install High Sierra I'm unable to install the recent Apple Supplemental Update?

andrewkingme

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
@dosdude1 Thanks again for all that you do!

Similar to the Unsupported WiFi Modules listed under Known Issues on http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/, would you consider creating a known issues section for graphics cards that are not fully supported? (For example, HD 5770 sleep/wake kernel panic and red display issues.)

On a side note, I'm looking to replace the HD 5770 causing issues in my Mac Pro 3,1. Since I run most of my displays off a second GPU (NVIDIA GTX 1060 PC Unflashed), I'm looking for the least expensive Mac Boot and High Sierra compatible GPU.

Has anyone on this thread tested an NVIDIA GT 640 on a Mac Pro 3,1? Any other low-cost recommendations?

/AK

dendkmac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Supplemental update installed, migrated most apps over things are running pretty smooth on High Sierra with the MacBook Pro mid 2009, thanks for the hard work, it is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 8.21.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 8.21.47 PM.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 298

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I guess I have to add this every time I make a post in this thread or I will get this kind of response. I have tried on several different occasions to get the 4,1 to 5,1 flash to work, to no avail. Most recently I acquired a Radeon 5770 with a Mac-friendly EFI and the result was no different. The light on my tower flashed, the long tone played, I booted back up into OS X, and my computer was still reported as a 4,1.

So, with that out of the way, has anyone encountered the problem I posted about, which is that after using DosDude1's patch to install High Sierra I'm unable to install the recent Apple Supplemental Update?
Sometimes flashing can fail due to your partition scheme or OS X install. To ensure the firmware update installs successfully, I'd recommend using a spare drive with a completely clean install of Mac OS, make sure no other drives are connected to the system, and then attempt to flash the firmware. Also, some people seem to have issue with refurb units, so if yours is a refurb, then that may be why the flashing is failing. There's a custom version of the Mac Pro 2009 2010 Firmware Tool for refurb units.

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
When I try to install the 10.13 Supplemental Update on my High Sierra install (MacPro 4,1 w/ DosDude1's modified installer tool & patches), I get an error that the software is not supported on my system.

I was hoping to install this update, then the latest Nvidia web driver update from today, to see if it would improve the glitchiness I'm getting with my GTX 660 Ti.
If you downloaded the Supplemental Update from Apple Support rather than through the App Store you need to modify the Distribution file contained in the macOSUpd10.13Supplemental.pkg, see below for details.

Modifying the Supplemental Update for High Sierra.

Download Supplemental Update.

Open Supplemental Update.

Move macOSUpd10.13Supplemental.pkg to desktop.

Open Terminal.

Enter pkgutil --expand ~/Desktop/macOSUpd10.13Supplemental.pkg ~/Desktop/Expanded

Open Expanded folder and then open Distribution file in Text Wrangler

Change Distribution file, change Board iD line 33 to <your Macs boardID> at line 41 remove <your Mac model>

Save As .xml file to the Desktop

In Terminal chmod +x ~/Desktop/distribution.xml

Remove the extension .xml

Move new Distribution file to expanded package replacing the original

In Terminal pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/Expanded ~/Desktop/Modified.pkg

Using the .pkg extension is crucial.

The Modified package on your desktop should now allow you to install the latest update

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
If I install High Sierra using dosdude1's patcher on my 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 with 2 x 1TB Samsung 850 SSD in a RAID-0 volume will the installation procedure detect that there are SSDs & will it convert the volume to APFS?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
If I install High Sierra using dosdude1's patcher on my 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 with 2 x 1TB Samsung 850 SSD in a RAID-0 volume will the installation procedure detect that there are SSDs & will it convert the volume to APFS?
No, my installer will not automatically convert a volume under any circumstances.

Reactions: olad

Blackriton

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Paris
If you downloaded the Supplemental Update from Apple Support rather than through the App Store you need to modify the Distribution file contained in the macOSUpd10.13Supplemental.pkg, see below for details.

Modifying the Supplemental Update for High Sierra.

Download Supplemental Update.

Open Supplemental Update.

Move macOSUpd10.13Supplemental.pkg to desktop.

Open Terminal.

Enter pkgutil --expand ~/Desktop/macOSUpd10.13Supplemental.pkg ~/Desktop/Expanded

Open Expanded folder and then open Distribution file in Text Wrangler

Change Distribution file, change Board iD line 33 to <your Macs boardID> at line 41 remove <your Mac model>

Save As .xml file to the Desktop

In Terminal chmod +x ~/Desktop/distribution.xml

Remove the extension .xml

Move new Distribution file to expanded package replacing the original

In Terminal pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/Expanded ~/Desktop/Modified.pkg

Using the .pkg extension is crucial.

The Modified package on your desktop should now allow you to install the latest update

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Automatic brightness adjust is not working for me in Macbook Pro 5,5 and, in fact, in system information>hardware>graphics and displays>NVIDIA GeForce 9400M; LCD color: adjust brightness automatically shows "NO". I hadn't noticed this until now.

Besides, a few graphics in Safari and even in other apps don't display properly. This topic has been discussed here some days ago, but I don't know if somebody finally found a solution to it.

Any help?
I have the same macbook and I don't have the described issues. Apart from the glitch on iPhone X website, everything is perfect.

oedipax

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
Sometimes flashing can fail due to your partition scheme or OS X install. To ensure the firmware update installs successfully, I'd recommend using a spare drive with a completely clean install of Mac OS, make sure no other drives are connected to the system, and then attempt to flash the firmware. Also, some people seem to have issue with refurb units, so if yours is a refurb, then that may be why the flashing is failing. There's a custom version of the Mac Pro 2009 2010 Firmware Tool for refurb units.
Interesting - I had heard about doing it on a brand new install and I'll definitely try that next. I don't think the system I have is a refurb, but I'll keep that in mind too! Thanks.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
An efi-flashed PC Radeon HD5770 may not be enough because the MP 4,1 shipped with the GT120 as the standard option and the HD4870 as the custom option. Also efi-flashed 5770 cards are not exactly identical to Apple cards.
The best chance of success is to use one of these cards and dosdude1's suggestion.
What is the current boot rom version? Is it B07 or B08?

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 10.33.09.png

Most recently I acquired a Radeon 5770 with a Mac-friendly EFI and the result was no different.

Machist

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
Finland
After supplemental update:

MacPro 3,1 Radeon HD7950

1. After all High Sierra seems to be stable, but sometimes I can see RED disorder (safari and every time in Preview when I open PDF).
2. Sleep problem "solved" for now -> newer sleep
3. Sometimes that red login window comes back? I don't know why? But that is easy to fix.
4. Share menu behavior is strange? I can't add new programs in share menu and example Mail is missing? I can't tick "share menu" in Internet accounts
5. Photos crash every time when it upload pictures from iCloud. Anyone has this same problem? (After supplemental update no crashes)

6. Copy paste not work?

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
No, my installer will not automatically convert a volume under any circumstances.
AIUI converting a boot SSD to APFS is part of the normal installation & not optional so this is a major difference using the patcher. Will I be able to convert manually after installation?

gages

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
AIUI converting a boot SSD to APFS is part of the normal installation & not optional so this is a major difference using the patcher. Will I be able to convert manually after installation?

Yes, boot from the installer USB, unmount the volume, then from the menu choose convert to APFS.

After doing that my volume would not boot. I reinstalled the OS (no erase), then did the patches and all was fine, but I am wondering if simply redoing the patches would have been OK. I noticed something in the patches for APFS, which was checked (not sure if it is checked by default eg no APFS volumes).

In system prefs I now have an icon for APFS boot. When the system boots it now looks like this

Booting process feels longer than using HFS+ but could be an optical illusion.

I am using a MacPro 3,1 w/ 5770. Only issue I have is the RED on pdf preview, full screen apps, and sometimes Time Machine. An annoyance but trivial.

TY dosdude1 for all that you do.....

jfcates

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2005
Maryland, USA
Mac Pro 3,1 High Sierra 10.13 via DosDude1 patch method. Running without issues for couple of weeks. However, I'm unable to get through supplemental update using App store (updates of other software all ok). Made 3 attempts; update is downloaded, and restart begins. The install progress bar states 1 min, but disappears after several seconds. After the machine restarts the App store still reports Supplemental as an update, and Console reports under Mac Analytics Data: com.apple.softwareupdate.stashfailuresv1: FAIL SenderMachUUID: ...

So must I download, install manually and modify via above instructions? Advice appreciated

EDIT: I was able to install using the modify package info for terminal provided by L Captuo. Thanks. it is no longer listed in the App store as an update. Perhaps other software updates are not checking my board id.

Last edited:

gages

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Have you tried the "patch updater.app " under applications\utilities that installed with the high sierra patcher?

jfcates

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2005
Maryland, USA
Have you tried the "patch updater.app " under applications\utilities that installed with the high sierra patcher?

Yes, thanks gages. The patch updater.app is installed and "up to date." So something else is causing the problem.

EDIT: Problem solved see my prior post. Thanks L Captuo

Last edited:

gages

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
OK, how will future updates be distributed, app store or the patch updater, and what exactly does the patch updater do?

Schnegg

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2017
@dosdude1 Thanks again for all that you do!

Similar to the Unsupported WiFi Modules listed under Known Issues on http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/, would you consider creating a known issues section for graphics cards that are not fully supported? (For example, HD 5770 sleep/wake kernel panic and red display issues.)

On a side note, I'm looking to replace the HD 5770 causing issues in my Mac Pro 3,1. Since I run most of my displays off a second GPU (NVIDIA GTX 1060 PC Unflashed), I'm looking for the least expensive Mac Boot and High Sierra compatible GPU.

Has anyone on this thread tested an NVIDIA GT 640 on a Mac Pro 3,1? Any other low-cost recommendations?

/AK

I'm interested in your experience with the GTX 1060. Which one do you have? Does it run well with the web drivers? How about the noise? Thanks in advance!

I am using a MacPro 3,1 w/ 5770. Only issue I have is the RED on pdf preview, full screen apps, and sometimes Time Machine. An annoyance but trivial.

TY dosdude1 for all that you do.....

Having the same (relatively minor) issues with a 3,1 and 5770. Still I am grateful for the wonderful patches from dosdude1, they are awesome!

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
OK, how will future updates be distributed, app store or the patch updater, and what exactly does the patch updater do?
The Patch Updater is responsible for updating patches needed for High Sierra to run on your unsupported machine. It just makes it easier for users to update and re-install, and install new patches, without the need of running scripts and whatnot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.