Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

monoton

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Oslo / Tokyo
Can anyone post a direct d/l link to macOS 10.13.1 beta 4 [build number 17B45a], or let us know: did updating via App Store do the trick? Am on MBP 4.1 (Early 2008), and updates 10.13.1 beta1-3 produced Safari, App Store, etc. major bugs. Or would someone of the fellow experts here on the board instruct, how to wrap these into a full installer for use with dodsdude1's fantastic piece of software:

EmbeddedOSFirmware.pkg
FirmwareUpdate.pkg
FullBundleUpdate.pkg
macOSUpd10.13.1.RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg
macOSUpd10.13.1Patch.pkg
macOSUpd10.13.1.pkg

Thanks in advance, this board is great!

Just install the updates through the software update function and apply the patches again after booting from the install USB stick. If you are stuck without net in those apps after the 10.13.1 Beta 3 just apply the patches again for your machine, and it will work. Then, proceeded with the next update.

olad

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
This is for those who have the MBP4,1 and who may be having issues with some software on macOS 10.13.1 betas - Safari, Appstore, Dropbox, etc. The same issues persisted from beta 1 through 4, so I have gone back to 10.13 (made possible by you-know-who). I think it better to wait until the 10.13.1 comes out finally. (On the other hand, why does the word 'experiment' exist if not to be used?)

roysterdoyster

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2017
This is for those who have the MBP4,1 and who may be having issues with some software on macOS 10.13.1 betas - Safari, Appstore, Dropbox, etc. The same issues persisted from beta 1 through 4, so I have gone back to 10.13 (made possible by you-know-who). I think it better to wait until the 10.13.1 comes out finally. (On the other hand, why does the word 'experiment' exist if not to be used?)

No, can't confirm, what you were experiencing.
Am on MBP4,1 myself, and macOS 10.13.1 Dev. Beta 3 [build number: 17B42a] is up and running, Safari, App Store, etc. working 100%. In addition to that: no more system freezes! Most stable version so far, and I'm on track since 10.13 beta 3

Full installer here:
https://www.zoneactu.fr/2017/10/17/...sierra-10-13-1-developer-beta-3-liens-pkg-dmg

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
@dosdude1 similar to @W1SS (in message #2079) I'm unable to boot into the recovery partition on a MacPro 3.1 with a FileVault protected boot disk - it displays a circle with a slash.

Here is what I've tried: Booted from the installer USB (made w/your app), used disk utility to unlock and mount the boot disk, then started the post install fix-up app and selected only "recovery partition". Still have the circle with a slash.

Before I try the tips in post #2081 from @W1SS I'm curious if this behavior is because of FileVault?

Last edited:

ab225

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2016
Any problems of High Sierra on a Mac Pro 3,1 2008? I need to know before I upgrade mine, cheers.

Mostly working fine on my 3,1 machine, but, I have a PC graphics card (XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB) that now has graphical errors in the Finder - it used to work fine with under El Capitan and it's still fine with the default Mac card, just now not with the non-native PC Card. I'm waiting on a High Sierra update to see if the glitches resolve themselves. Has anyone else had issues with PC graphics cards?

al85

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
Hi, is anybody having issues with Time Machine. Every day it seems my time machine backs up 170gb of files. Never had this issue and as my iMac is unsupported I doubt apple would be of any help.

The install went well and have been running since day of release, but just noticing these repeat backups now.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Mostly working fine on my 3,1 machine, but, I have a PC graphics card (XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB) that now has graphical errors in the Finder - it used to work fine with under El Capitan and it's still fine with the default Mac card, just now not with the non-native PC Card. I'm waiting on a High Sierra update to see if the glitches resolve themselves. Has anyone else had issues with PC graphics cards?
That's only an issue with AMD Radeon HD 5xxx series cards and newer. Older AMD cards and all PC nVidia cards work perfectly fine with no issues.

Reactions: rosuna

Dunder137

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
New York
That's only an issue with AMD Radeon HD 5xxx series cards and newer. Older AMD cards and all PC nVidia cards work perfectly fine with no issues.

Can I assume that an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB pulled from a newer Mac Pro will be OK? It's currently working perfectly in my Mac Pro 2008 with macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Can I assume that an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB pulled from a newer Mac Pro will be OK? It's currently working perfectly in my Mac Pro 2008 with macOS Sierra 10.12.6.
No, you'll still have those minor graphical glitches with ANY Radeon HD 5xxx series or newer cards, including official Apple ones (they're the same thing as the PC version just with slight different firmware).

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Are the glitches annoying enough to recommend delaying upgrading to High Sierra until they're fixed? Can you describe them?
Apparently, people experience some weird red visuals temporarily during animations, and only getting a red window with some PDF documents in Preview. It also may cause some systems to not be able to wake from sleep mode. Other than those minor issues, though, it works just fine.

ab225

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2016
Are the glitches annoying enough to recommend delaying upgrading to High Sierra until they're fixed? Can you describe them?

For me, none of the window bars render correctly (like a light shade of grey, until you click on them). Also the menu is messed up - it isn't the right colour and not transparent. I haven't tried doing screen grabs but I'll try and document it the next time I'm at the computer.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
For me, none of the window bars render correctly (like a light shade of grey, until you click on them). Also the menu is messed up - it isn't the right colour and not transparent. I haven't tried doing screen grabs but I'll try and document it the next time I'm at the computer.
That sounds more like the GPU drivers are not being loaded at all.

gages

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
@dosdude1 similar to @W1SS (in message #2079) I'm unable to boot into the recovery partition on a MacPro 3.1 with a FileVault protected boot disk - it displays a circle with a slash.

Here is what I've tried: Booted from the installer USB (made w/your app), used disk utility to unlock and mount the boot disk, then started the post install fix-up app and selected only "recovery partition". Still have the circle with a slash.

Before I try the tips in post #2081 from @W1SS I'm curious if this behavior is because of FileVault?

On my AFPS volume I can't boot from the recovery partition (no filevault). Originally HFS+ then I converted but cant boot from AFPS recovery. On my backup disk which is still HFS+ recovery is fine.

Any way to make the AFPS recovery partition bootable?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
On my AFPS volume I can't boot from the recovery partition (no filevault). Originally HFS+ then I converted but cant boot from AFPS recovery. On my backup disk which is still HFS+ recovery is fine.

Any way to make the AFPS recovery partition bootable?
Not at this point. Still seeing if I can come up with a good solution, but the recovery partition is so useless, it's the last thing I'm worried about right now.

gages

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Not at this point. Still seeing if I can come up with a good solution, but the recovery partition is so useless, it's the last thing I'm worried about right now.

Fair enough not a big deal. Slow boot is a bit of a pain, happens with HFS+ drive and AFPS drive, so not a file system issue

monoton

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Oslo / Tokyo

After installing the bata update remember to apply the patches for the machine again and you will not have any issues.

KernkraftX360

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016

So my GT730 should be fine with High Sierra? Cheers buddy. Also, I don't currently own a card with boot EFI. If I blindly select the High Sierra boot drive disk, will I be able to spectate the setup screen on my Mac Pro 3,1 ?

Last edited:

monoton

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Oslo / Tokyo
Want to share with you my MacBook Pro 4,1 desktop with High Sierra, and this time with Metal v2 support!
Achieved by adding the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050Ti as eGPU via the ExpressCard/34 port!

I previously had the Geforce GTX 560Ti connected. The 1050Ti has twice the amount of compute cores (768 vs 384) and twice amount of graphics memory (4GB vs 2GB), in addition to the Metal v2 support via the latest Nvidia drivers! :)
It can be had for only $130.

Another advantage over the 560Ti is the very low power consumption (75W), making a very affordable and small SFX power supply without the 6/8 pin connecters sufficient.

Over all a very nice external compute engine to add to the machine! Capable of OpenCL 1.2+, Metal v2, CUDA 9, OpenGL 4.1 ++ ...

gtx1050Ti.png

Last edited:

rosuna

macrumors member
May 17, 2017
Any problems of High Sierra on a Mac Pro 3,1 2008? I need to know before I upgrade mine, cheers.

I am waiting for a High Sierra update that corrects those errors (maybe 10.13.1 does this).

I know Apple is not interested in unsupported macs, but they are touching this and that and maybe the errors (the red patches, the sleep problems) "correct themselves".

Oleander69

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2017
After the installation of High Sierra Public Beta 4 on my Imac 24 2009 Wi-Fi stopped working.... Any fix for this issue ? Cant access any website nor Apples App Store.

Thanks in advance.

roysterdoyster

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2017
Just install the updates through the software update function and apply the patches again after booting from the install USB stick. If you are stuck without net in those apps after the 10.13.1 Beta 3 just apply the patches again for your machine, and it will work. Then, proceeded with the next update.

No, doesn't work.
Your MBP 4,1 15-inch seems to accept the update, but my MBP 4,1 17-inch doesn't.

The updating process via Software Update suddenly restarts the machine after only 5-7 minutes into the updating process (of the estimated 28minutes!). About this Mac... shows build 17b46a, i.e. macOS 10.13.1 beta 5, however again Safari, App Store, etc. not working. Reapplying dosdude1's patch and reapplying once more doesn't do the trick.
Had to revert to stable 10.13.1 beta 3, which is available as full installer.

Damn, a full installer for beta 5, anyone?

Teutone

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
hello,

i've just installed high sierra on my macbook 5,1. everything is fine except app store. when i tried to install some applications it just stuck on downloading (dl did not even start) and when i click to updates tab whole app store freezes. any ideas what might be wrong?

no one with this problem?

i have strange problem with my high sierra installation. my app store updates and installations works only when i enable SIP, when disabled app store just freezes. any ideas? @dosdude1 ? i am on macbook 5,1

Same thing happening here on Macbook 5,2. Haven't tried enabling SIP yet, but having it disabled right now and the same problems you describe appear. Happens with firewall (LittleSnitch) disabled+enabled. Have you been able to fix it somehow?

locdogg67

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
successfully installed high Sierra 10.13 on a macbook late 2008 unibody! with SSD and 8 gb Ram. everything works great and I think its faster then El Capitan. thank u dosdude1 for ur work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.