Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

KernkraftX360

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
Maybe this is of interest for some: I updated my Macpro 3,1 to 10.13 and got a lot of graphic glitches and artifacts with my GT730. Heavy graphics glitches like a scene from the Matrix intro rolling screen. Please help. I tried using Mac OS X default graphics drivers, as well as the latest Nvidia drivers to no avail. Please let me know, else this Mac Pro might be a doorstopper for now before until at least hopefully 10.13.1 comes out with a cure to this issue. Anyone else with a Mac Pro 3,1 can comment on this issue?

ab225

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2016
That sounds more like the GPU drivers are not being loaded at all.

Here's a crude image showing one of the glitches. Also no motion of the OS or animations are smooth (for example when moving windows) - moving a Chrome window around is impossible and can't render movement at all. Also YouTube's layout is messed up and mainly white (though videos themselves play fine). The card is registered as Radeon HD7*** under system report as it used to under El Capitan. I'm still hoping it'll resolve itself in future updates...

Attachments

• IMG_1524.JPG
    IMG_1524.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 194

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Here's a crude image showing one of the glitches. Also no motion of the OS or animations are smooth (for example when moving windows) - moving a Chrome window around is impossible and can't render movement at all. Also YouTube's layout is messed up and mainly white (though videos themselves play fine). The card is registered as Radeon HD7*** under system report as it used to under El Capitan. I'm still hoping it'll resolve itself in future updates...
Yeah, there are no video card drivers even loaded. What video card do you have?

ab225

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2016

It's a Radeon HD 7950 3GB. You think Apple removed the video drivers somewhere between the release of El Capitan & High Sierra? You think they'll support them again?

KernkraftX360

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016

For GT730 on Mac Pro 3,1, should we use the default OSX driver or the latest Nvidia driver as default? Graphics glitch happens when using the default OSX driver, it used to work perfectly fine on sierra 10.12. Have not tried using Nvidia, because I have no boot EFI screen, but willing to try.

donbahno

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2017
I used Migration Assistant to transfer data from unsupported iMac to my new iMac, but i can't get rid of SIP warning after system start. Is there any way how to uninstall this hack? I reinstalled High Sierra over hacked version, but I still have this message.

Attachments

• Snímek obrazovky 2017-10-29 v 21.07.11.png
    Snímek obrazovky 2017-10-29 v 21.07.11.png
    341.5 KB · Views: 145

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I used Migration Assistant to transfer data from unsupported iMac to my new iMac, but i can't get rid of SIP warning after system start. Is there any way how to uninstall this hack? I reinstalled High Sierra over hacked version, but I still have this message.
Just run "sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.dd1.SIPLD.plist" in Terminal.

Reactions: donbahno

Teutone

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
hello,

i've just installed high sierra on my macbook 5,1. everything is fine except app store. when i tried to install some applications it just stuck on downloading (dl did not even start) and when i click to updates tab whole app store freezes. any ideas what might be wrong?

no one with this problem?

i have strange problem with my high sierra installation. my app store updates and installations works only when i enable SIP, when disabled app store just freezes. any ideas? @dosdude1 ? i am on macbook 5,1

Same thing happening here on Macbook 5,2. Haven't tried enabling SIP yet, but having it disabled right now and the same problems you describe appear. Happens with firewall (LittleSnitch) disabled+enabled. Have you been able to fix it somehow?
@dosdude1 Any idea how I could debug this?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Here's a heads up guys:

A post of mine in another thread was deleted and my account was banned for a couple of days, for posting a link to dosdude1's website in response to someone asking how I got 10.13 installed on my old MacBooks.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Here's a heads up guys:

A post of mine in another thread was deleted and my account was banned for a couple of days, for posting a link to dosdude1's website in response to someone asking how I got 10.13 installed on my old MacBooks.
Yep, I've already been contacted by a moderator about this. Apparently, hosting or linking to copies of the macOS Installers was against the rules of this forum (because doing so is apparently "piracy"). As such, I've had to remove the links to the installers from my webpages.

sx2

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2017
Same thing happening here on Macbook 5,2. Haven't tried enabling SIP yet, but having it disabled right now and the same problems you describe appear. Happens with firewall (LittleSnitch) disabled+enabled. Have you been able to fix it somehow?
clean install fixed this problem for me

Reactions: Teutone

evil-hao

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
Ignore it, MacBookPro4,1 had an always working trackpad with Sierra and High Sierra (betas and stables).
It says "wait for a bluetooth trackpad to be discovered" and it moves very slowly can't right click and it's annoying! Other then that everything works fine including brightness which i made it running with Karabiner - Elements a program that remaps the keys !

asqard

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
Hi imac late 2007 please give me a hint or does it make sense for me to upgrade to sierra high sierra? I have a T9300 processor and a 120GB ssd drive installed, sorry for my english
imac.jpg

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
It says "wait for a bluetooth trackpad to be discovered" and it moves very slowly can't right click and it's annoying! Other then that everything works fine including brightness which i made it running with Karabiner - Elements a program that remaps the keys !

Maybe, your trackpad has ben replaced sometimes. Original, MacBookPro4,1 trackpad still works with Sierra and High Sierra. Your trackpad is not detected as a trackpad. Which modell u have? Which is the USB VID/PID values for the trackpad?

whichweather

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
When doing a clean install on iMac 9,1, choosing APFS encryption for the boot drive and after running the patcher, I am able to type my password used to decrypt the boot drive. However, after some messages, I received the following print out:

IMG_20171031_132114.jpg

Am I doing something wrong or is APFS with encryption just not supported in the current patch @dosdude1 ?

Thanks mate!

Last edited:

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
When doing a clean install on iMac 9,1, choosing APFS encryption for the boot drive and after running the patcher, I am able to type my password used to decrypt the boot drive. However, after some messages, I received the following print out:

View attachment 729500

Am I doing something wrong or is APFS with encryption just not supported in the current patch @dosdude1 ?

Thanks mate!

I didn't encrypt at installation, but an external USB hard drive partitioned as APFS on a MacPro 3,1 encrypted without issue after installing High Sierra and patching with the 2.4.0 release of the High Sierra Patcher. Make sure that you used that version of High Sierra Patcher to create your USB installer.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012

View attachment 729500

Thanks mate!
Just wait at that screen for awhile. It is actually booting in the background.

Reactions: whichweather

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
10.13.1 is now officially out. Anyone do an in-place 10.13.1 update yet on an unsupported Mac? Hopefully we won't have to do an OS reinstall.

al85

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
10.13.1 is now officially out. Anyone do an in-place 10.13.1 update yet on an unsupported Mac? Hopefully we won't have to do an OS reinstall.

Updated through App Store. Currently safari not working.

App Store not loading either anymore.

Chrome works so I can get on internet.

Early 2009 24" iMac

Last edited:

olad

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
MBP4,1 17" (early 2008) updated to 10.13.1 (17B48); also through the App Store. But Safari, App Store, Dropbox etc - all working. .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.