Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

border terrier

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2013
England
Failed install of 10.13.1 twice. After restart screen is black. Left it for a few minutes still nothing so I restarted again and it just reloads 10.13 with a message saying computer shut down as result of a fault. 4.1 flashed to 5.1. Looks like 10.13 will be my final upgrade/update

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
MacbookPro 5,2 update to 10.13.1 went smoothly. One minor problem, NightEnabler runs and works but System Preferences Display Pane crashes.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Failed install of 10.13.1 twice. After restart screen is black. Left it for a few minutes still nothing so I restarted again and it just reloads 10.13 with a message saying computer shut down as result of a fault. 4.1 flashed to 5.1. Looks like 10.13 will be my final upgrade/update
Maybe you can install via the latest complete installer with 13.1.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Mac Pro 3,1, AMD Radeon HD 7950.

10.13.1 installed fine and rebooted. Got a gray screen, and it stayed there.

Reapplied graphics drivers in post install, and it fired up as usual.

Only had red bug in Preview before, and it is now gone.

But now Metal seems disabled. Motion is jerky in general.

Photoshop says: "3D features and some filters (Flame/Tree/Picture Frame) require a minimum of 512MB of vRAM. Photoshop has detected less than that on your system. Updating the driver of your graphics card may resolve the issue."

Photoshop does not detect any graphics card.

System report lists the card. PCI information lists two instances of AMD Radeon HD 7950. Type "Display Controller" says driver is loaded, type "ATY,HamachiParent" says driver is not loaded.

Any clues?

Metal is back. Newly installed AMD drivers (37 of them) had version 1.58.32, and the older 1.58.30. Same date, though. Apparently, the post install did not work?

I just replaced them from yesterday's backup, and all is fine (except red bug was not fixed, as I believed before realizing there was no hardware acceleration).

I guess this is going to be a routine with new updates.

Yipee2016

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2016
I reapplied the script and my computer finished the update. But the graphics are now VERY slow... It seems to have a problem with my AMD HD 6870...

figyu

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016

Yipee2016

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2016
Metal is back. Newly installed AMD drivers (37 of them) had version 1.58.32, and the older 1.58.30. Same date, though. Apparently, the post install did not work?

I just replaced them from yesterday's backup, and all is fine (except red bug was not fixed, as I believed before realizing there was no hardware acceleration).

I guess this is going to be a routine with new updates.

Which drivers do you install ? Where can I find them ?

figyu

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
I Updated through App Store to

MacOS High Sierra
Version 10.13.1 (17B48)

Currently safari not working.

App Store not loading either anymore

Mail is not loading content.
Starts up and my (7) email accounts are on line with incoming and outgoing mail
BUT new and old email displays zero content

iTunes not loading Store or Radio content
Yet internet radio is working

Firefox works so I can get on internet.

Late 2009 Mac Mini with NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256MB, if it matters.
SSD with APFS

Looking forward to the fix/resolution
Thank you

I have a MBP 5,5 with SSD(APFS)-13 inch, mid-2009 MacBook Pro
Through Apple Store, I updated High Sierra 10.13.1 this afternoon.
After the update, Safari, Mail, and App Store do not working.
After backing up with Time Machine, I ran Automation in Onyx, and then My MBP is working in Safari, Mail, and App Store.

It shows up 10.13.1 in About This Mac, but I can't see "MacOS 10.13.1 update" in Updates installed in the Last 30 Days of App Store.

Last edited:

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Don't use NightEnabler, use the Night Shift Patch available in the Patch Updater application.
Thanks dosdude1. I looked there before and saw it was "installed". Reinforced with your suggestion I right-clicked and chose the "re-install" option. Without your advice I wouldn't have had any idea this could be reinstalled this way.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed in my Console app, lots of entries for com.apple.WebKit.WebContent reporting current memory footprint. It seems to be logged continually. I know you can hide the messages in the Console app but I'd rather they weren't logged at all. Tried disabling the logging by using

%sudo log config --subsystem 'com.apple.WebKit.WebContent' --mode "level: off"

as recommended by someone on the internet, but it hasn't stopped the logging, even though

%sudo log config --status --subsystem com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

reports it being OFF.

Any ideas?

Blackriton

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Paris
I just update successfully my Mac Pro 3,1 with a Nvidia GTX 680 via the AppStore and Safari, App Store and everything I tested is working OK. No problems yet.

Reactions: TheStork

apriliars3

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2016
Madrid
Thanks dosdude1. I looked there before and saw it was "installed". Reinforced with your suggestion I right-clicked and chose the "re-install" option. Without your advice I wouldn't have had any idea this could be reinstalled this way.

Search "macOS Night Shift Enabler.mpkg", reinstall and reboot.

Night shift works other time for me, but I have had reinstall other time 10.13

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Clear software update catalog. Public Beta 5 is the same as the final version of 10.13.1. (run "sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog" in Terminal).
So after clearing the software update catalogue via Terminal have now installed the update and this old Mac Pro 2008 is working fine, managed to restore previous 'hacked' core brightness framework to replace new core brightness framework, now got NightShift back working.

Fredblogg

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
I just update successfully my Mac Pro 3,1 with a Nvidia GTX 680 via the AppStore and Safari, App Store and everything I tested is working OK. No problems yet.
Unfortunately I do not see the update via the App Store...however after a little while after the clearing option posted the app store gives me the update options. However during the update I just got a great screen with frozen incomplete progress bar. Left it sit overnight and woke up to it still in that state. Rebooted and still same. Ended up doing clean update from USB and back in business. Thanks.

Last edited:

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
After backing up with Time Machine, I ran Automation in Onyx, and then My MBP is working in Safari, Mail, and App Store.

After installing/Running Automation, from Onyx v3.8.8
All my issues have been resolved. Safari, Mail, App Store and iTunes working as expected.

Thank you

Reactions: apriliars3

Bobbytshoes

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2017
Australia
I have a MBP 5,5 with SSD(APFS)-13 inch, mid-2009 MacBook Pro
Through Apple Store, I updated High Sierra 10.13.1 this afternoon.
After the update, Safari, Mail, and App Store do not working.

It shows up 10.13.1 in About This Mac, but I can't see "MacOS 10.13.1 update" in Updates installed in the Last 30 Days of App Store.

Thank you figyu, I had the same problem with Safari not connecting to the internet on my Mac Pro 3,1 MacOS 10.13.1. Ran the free download Onyx in Automation and now its all working.

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
Thanks for the Onyx trick. Safari and the AppStore were unusable since one of first 10.13.1 beta and nothing worked before that...

MacGuyRookie

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2016
I just can't figure out why my MBP 5,5 doesn't see any of the updates. I keep clicking the "Update" button and it just keeps telling me "No Updates Available." I've check the App store several times today but nothing has changed. I'm stumped. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I just can't figure out why my MBP 5,5 doesn't see any of the updates. I keep clicking the "Update" button and it just keeps telling me "No Updates Available." I've check the App store several times today but nothing has changed. I'm stumped. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Do you have the Software Update Patch installed? (Check in Patch Updater, right click and select "re-install"). Also ensure Software Update Catalog is cleared (posted earlier about how to do this).

Reactions: elxeneize

MacGuyRookie

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2016
Do you have the Software Update Patch installed? (Check in Patch Updater, right click and select "re-install"). Also ensure Software Update Catalog is cleared (posted earlier about how to do this).

Thanks Dosdude1. I DO have the Software Update Patch installed. Re-installed but that didn't solve the problem. Cleared the Software Update Catalog in Terminal. I didn't copy the exact wording but it said something like "update changed to Apple Production." I restarted the computer and checked for the updates in the App Store. Took a couple of tries hitting the Update button, but finally the updates showed up. (Back when you were working on the Sierra updates, wasn't there a patch by someone (maybe you?) where the source of updates was changed? Wonder if my 'source' never got changed back to Apple?)

Whatever...thanks again Dosedude1 for sharing your knowledge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.