Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ejo.yoyok

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2016
after update my macbook pro 5,5 with HS 10.13.1, everything works fine but the app store is not showing anything. Trying to install post patch through USB installer doesnt solve the problem. Any suggestions/solutions?

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Tempo.
That's a good question and I cannot remember to be honest. I don't remember having problems with the APFS conversion but... .

Were you able to convert to APFS while on the Sonnet Tempo or did you have to use a SATA slot? And Tempo or Tempo Pro?

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
after update my macbook pro 5,5 with HS 10.13.1, everything works fine but the app store is not showing anything. Trying to install post patch through USB installer doesnt solve the problem. Any suggestions/solutions?

Did you enable SIP? Code injection to the App Store does not working when SIP is enabled.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
By chance, has anyone got a Polaris GPU working in 10.13.1? Ever since High Sierra, my RX 480 no longer works, even with an EFI helper card like it did in Sierra :(

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
By chance, has anyone got a Polaris GPU working in 10.13.1? Ever since High Sierra, my RX 480 no longer works, even with an EFI helper card like it did in Sierra :(

Which Mac did you have? When i last checked, newer AMD drivers killed with Signal 4 (illegal instruction) when running on old Mac Pro. SIGILL means that the driver using some CPU instruction thats missing.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't think that the support is removed. Polaris works fine with Nehalem and newer.

Support for it definitely changed from Sierra. Now I get the following when booting with EFI helper 2600XT.

IOConsoleUsers time(0) 0->0, Lin 0, llk1,
IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

The RX480 alone posts the beep, but I can't blind boot it either, so I suspect it's still stuck at the same spot.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Odd sleep behaviour on one machine since upgrading to 10.13.1.

MacBookPro5,5 10.13.0: Sleeps normally. Close lid, Apple logo goes dark. ~30 s later pulsing sleep light starts.
MacBookPro5,5 10.13.1: Sleeps normally. Close lid, Apple logo goes dark. ~30 s later pulsing sleep light starts.
MacBook5,1 10.13.0: Sleeps normally. Close lid, Apple logo goes dark. ~30 s later pulsing sleep light starts.

MacBook5,1 10.13.1: Sleeps but weird sequence. Close lid, and Apple logo goes dark and then flashes once. Then a few seconds later the Apple logo comes back on, but then ~30 s later it goes dark again and then about another 15-20 s later the pulsing sleep light starts.

CregoryNootinger

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
Hello all! I'm new to all of this, and I need some help...I have 2 5,2 MacBook (I don't know whether they are the early or mid 2009 model, but they are both the same) and they both say "15 minutes remaining" for about 3 to 5 minutes. It goes to about 1/8 of the way in the progress bar and then says "macOS could not be installed on your computer." I looked at the log and noticed that it has error 110 and that there was an error saying "An error occurred while extracting files from the package "Core.pkg"." I will upload the txt log file, since it is probably too long to post. Could they possibly not be 5,2 MacBooks? They didn't have macOS on them to begin with, so I couldn't check. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• Installer Log 09-01-17.txt
    142.7 KB · Views: 378

Jeantro

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
please anyone can help me ?
I want to update my macbook mi-2009 to 10.13.1.
how should we proceed ?
in the App Store I don't see any update

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Odd sleep behaviour on one machine since upgrading to 10.13.1.

MacBookPro5,5 10.13.0: Sleeps normally. Close lid, Apple logo goes dark. ~30 s later pulsing sleep light starts.
MacBookPro5,5 10.13.1: Sleeps normally. Close lid, Apple logo goes dark. ~30 s later pulsing sleep light starts.
MacBook5,1 10.13.0: Sleeps normally. Close lid, Apple logo goes dark. ~30 s later pulsing sleep light starts.

MacBook5,1 10.13.1: Sleeps but weird sequence. Close lid, and Apple logo goes dark and then flashes once. Then a few seconds later the Apple logo comes back on, but then ~30 s later it goes dark again and then about another 15-20 s later the pulsing sleep light starts.
I tried resetting the PRAM and SMC but to no avail. Same behaviour of my MacBook5,1 in 10.13.1. It's not a big deal, but it's a minor annoyance nonetheless.

BTW, after the SMC reset, SIP was turned back on, so I went to boot the Recovery Partition to turn it back off. However, I had forgotten that the 10.13.1 update would deactivate the Recovery Partition again. So I had to repatch the Recovery Partition (HFS+).

Reminder: If you use a Recovery Partition, after the 10.13.1 update, you need to repatch it.

seb.wagner

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
Upgraded MacBook Pro 5,5 (13", Mid 2009) from macOS Sierra directly to macOS HS using dosdude1's tool (version 2.4.0). Everything went smoothly so far:
1-about.png
I am, however, also experiencing that weird graphics bug. It is, as usual, visible on Apple's iPhone-X-site:
2-browser.png
But it doesn't stop there: QuickTime Player is also affected. This is a screenshot of an attempt to view a h.264-encoded video file (MPEG-4 AVC part10 avc1, freshly encoded with handbrake 1.0.7) in QuickTime Player (VLC 2.2.6 plays the file just fine, though):
3-movie.png
Weirdly, this seems to only affect videos encoded in macOS High Sierra. Video files I encoded earlier this week (when still running macOS Sierra) play fine in macOS High Sierra's QuickTime Player.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Aside from all this: Thanks a lot, dosdude1, for your wonderful work! Have been running macOS Sierra with your previous patcher software all along - my MacBook Pro still continues to soldier on even after eight years thanks to your amazing help!

seb.wagner

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
We’re waiting on a patch from Apple. It’s a big even on newer systems too.
Any idea if it's going to be fixed in 10.13.2? And do you know if it's safe to continue converting media like I did using handbrake with the file mentioned above? I don't want to create lots of files that are not playable properly on future systems ...

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Upgraded MacBook Pro 5,5 (13", Mid 2009) from macOS Sierra directly to macOS HS using dosdude1's tool (version 2.4.0). Everything went smoothly so far:
View attachment 732254
I am, however, also experiencing that weird graphics bug. It is, as usual, visible on Apple's iPhone-X-site:
View attachment 732255
But it doesn't stop there: QuickTime Player is also affected. This is a screenshot of an attempt to view a h.264-encoded video file (MPEG-4 AVC part10 avc1, freshly encoded with handbrake 1.0.7) in QuickTime Player (VLC 2.2.6 plays the file just fine, though):
View attachment 732256
Weirdly, this seems to only affect videos encoded in macOS High Sierra. Video files I encoded earlier this week (when still running macOS Sierra) play fine in macOS High Sierra's QuickTime Player.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Aside from all this: Thanks a lot, dosdude1, for your wonderful work! Have been running macOS Sierra with your previous patcher software all along - my MacBook Pro still continues to soldier on even after eight years thanks to your amazing help!
Same problem with the fully supported MacBook6,1, which has the same GPU.

So it’s probably a graphics driver issue which Apple needs to fix.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Any idea if it's going to be fixed in 10.13.2? And do you know if it's safe to continue converting media like I did using handbrake with the file mentioned above? I don't want to create lots of files that are not playable properly on future systems ...

I haven’t tried handbrake, but I would use a video format that you can view like mkv or that. May need VLC or IINA to play them

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
What settings are you using? They few Handbrake files I’ve encoded are fine.

MacGuyRookie

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2016

Take a look at Dosedude1's post #2199. That worked for me on a MBP 5,5.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Leaving my experiences for anyone else that might have run in to the same situation.

MacPro 3,1

Fresh install of 10.13 and restored from Time Machine Backup of 10.10 (everything other than iPhotos videos has worked as far as I know, 10.10 started as a Fusion disk for the OS, but am using a single disk for the OS until fusion drives are supported on APFS)

Updated to 10.13.1

After updating to 10.13.1, had Safari, iTunes, App Store and Mail issues.

Re-install the patch with Patch Updater.

Reinstalling the patchs as directed fixed all the issues above, I think. (completely forgot about the updater!)

Not clear on if this was a requirement from the start of updating to 10.13.1 ? If so I missed this requirement somehow, a NOTE on the front page of the thread would be fantastic! Assuming it is required/recommended?

I think I am good to go after using the updater to reinstall the patches!

(THANK YOU! u/dosdude1 any anyone else involved, my MacPro3,1 works amazing on 10.13.x!)

Questions:

*Onyx still will not run for me, despite getting around the fact that Command-R still will not invoke disk utility access on my 10.13.x OS disk? Why?

Using disk utility via my old install of 10.10 I was able to enter disk utility before boot and “repair disk” with “NO issues or errors found” on the 10.13.1 OS disk as stated by disk utility.

Onyx still would not work! Save for a single time it started, for what reason I dont know?

Onyx did start its job once, but stopped with a (.sdl error, I stupidly did not take a screenshot unfortunately so don't remember the name associated with the error exactly)

What's most likely here is that your hard disk is failing. You can repair the disk by booting off your patched USB drive and running Disk Utility from there, however 9 times out of 10, a disk that macOS says needs to be repaired is physically failing, and should not be used any longer. I'd recommend you back up any important data, and get a new hard disk (or, more optimally, an SSD).

To answer this question with some information.

The OS disk is a brand new 500GB Samsung EVO running APFS, all the basic tests on the disk performed before installation of 10.13 checked out fine. (which I know doesn't validate a good disk, simply relevant information)

Never has the disk given any indication of being bad or any errors associated with it.

*ONLY Onyx has given me any indication of a error on this disk.

I would be completely open to any tool I should use to confirm the disk is OK to continue using. Or if it needs to be replaced based on this one data point.

Questions:

Why does my install of 10.13 not allow me to enter the “Mac OS recovery” tools ?

The 10.13 install was made Using @dosdude1's Patcher Tool with No issues.

*Did I neglect a step to include the necessary tools to allow Command-R before Boot to enter “Mac OS recovery” ?

Why is Onyx giving me trouble?
Why does it first say the disk "appears to be OK", then asks for me to "Repair the disk" ,yet NO errors are found via Disk Utility, yet when clicking "Run Tasks" it asks me to "Repair Disk" again?

The only indicator I can find in Onyx is in “Maintenance” tab on Onyx, I see a “Snapshot metadata tree invalid” Can I repair whatever this issue is?

Searching on the topic doesn't seem particularly relevant?

I think it has something to do with Time Machine errors

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79385

uVduGEQ.png

DSX0gKW.png

0zsJNFI.png

Last edited:

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
We have an early 2009 iMac (iMac 9,1) running OSX 10.11. Finally got the courage, and motivation, to install 10.13 using dosdude1's method.

I did an upgrade instead of a clean install and I have to say it went a lot smoother than I thought. It's now running 10.13.1 and everything appears to be working as it should, including wifi and screen dim controls even though the latter is documented as not-working (?).

Finally I am able to sync safari iCloud tabs again with my iPhone 7 and the updated Pages can again open my documents that are saved in iCloud which had been edited with Pages in iOS 11.

I just have a couple of questions; Is it safe to update macOS as updates roll out (e.g. to 10.13.2)? Is there anything to be mindful of to not inadvertently re-enable SIP?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
We have an early 2009 iMac (iMac 9,1) running OSX 10.11. Finally got the courage, and motivation, to install 10.13 using dosdude1's method.

I did an upgrade instead of a clean install and I have to say it went a lot smoother than I thought. It's now running 10.13.1 and everything appears to be working as it should, including wifi and screen dim controls even though the latter is documented as not-working (?).

Finally I am able to sync safari iCloud tabs again with my iPhone 7 and the updated Pages can again open my documents that are saved in iCloud which had been edited with Pages in iOS 11.

I just have a couple of questions; Is it safe to update macOS as updates roll out (e.g. to 10.13.2)? Is there anything to be mindful of to not inadvertently re-enable SIP?
Yes, it is perfectly safe to install system updates, you may just have to re-run the post-install patch or re-install patches using the Patch Updater application after doing so. As for SIP, all you need to do is just ensure they you do not reset the PRAM, and SIP should remain disabled. You'll get a warning that pops up on boot if SIP somehow does became enabled.
[doublepost=1509858510][/doublepost]
Leaving my experiences for anyone else that might have run in to the same situation.

MacPro 3,1

Fresh install of 10.13 and restored from Time Machine Backup of 10.10 (everything other than iPhotos videos has worked as far as I know, 10.10 started as a Fusion disk for the OS, but am using a single disk for the OS until fusion drives are supported on APFS)

Updated to 10.13.1

After updating to 10.13.1, had Safari, iTunes, App Store and Mail issues.

Reinstalling the patchs as directed fixed my all the issues above. (completely forgot about the updater!)

Not clear on if this was a requirement from the start of updating to 10.13.1 ? If so I missed this requirement somehow, a NOTE on the front page of the thread would be fantastic! Assuming it is required/recommended?

I think I am good to go after using the updater to reinstall the patches!

(THANK YOU! u/dosdude1 any anyone else involved, my MacPro3,1 works amazing on 10.13.x!)

Questions:

*Onyx still will not run for me, despite getting around the fact that Command-R still will not invoke disk utility access on my 10.13.x OS disk? Why?

Using disk utility via my old install of 10.10 I was able to enter disk utility before boot and “repair disk” with “NO issues or errors found” on the 10.13.1 OS disk as stated by disk utility.

Onyx still would not work! Save for a single time it started, for what reason I dont know?

Onyx did start its job once, but stopped with a (.sdl error, I stupidly did not take a screenshot unfortunately so don't remember the name associated with the error exactly)

To answer this question with some information.

The OS disk is a brand new 500GB Samsung EVO running APFS, all the basic tests on the disk performed before installation of 10.13 checked out fine. (which I know doesn't validate a good disk, simply relevant information)

Never has the disk given any indication of being bad or any errors associated with it.

*ONLY Onyx has given me any indication of a error on this disk.

I would be completely open to any tool I should use to confirm the disk is OK to continue using. Or if it needs to be replaced based on this one data point.

Questions:

Why does my install of 10.13 not allow me to enter the “Mac OS recovery” tools ?

The 10.13 install was made Using @dosdude1's Patcher Tool with No issues.

*Did I neglect a step to include the necessary tools to allow Command-R before Boot to enter “Mac OS recovery” ?

Why is Onyx giving me trouble?
Why does it first say the disk "appears to be OK", then asks for me to "Repair the disk" ,yet NO errors are found via Disk Utility, yet when clicking "Run Tasks" it asks me to "Repair Disk" again?

The only indicator I can find in Onyx is in “Maintenance” tab on Onyx, I see a “Snapshot metadata tree invalid” Can I repair whatever this issue is?

Searching on the topic doesn't seem particularly relevant?

I think it has something to do with Time Machine errors

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79385

uVduGEQ.png

DSX0gKW.png

0zsJNFI.png
Try just booting off your patched High Sierra installer USB drive (it is essentially the same thing as the recovery partition), and use Disk Utility from there to verify and repair the disk.

seb.wagner

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
What settings are you using? They few Handbrake files I’ve encoded are fine.
I use the "Apple 1080p30 Surround" preset with the following modifications:
* Video > Encoder Options > Preset: > "veryfast" (instead of "medium")
* Audio > no AC3 passthrough
* Subtitles > "none" from source, adding an external .srt-file

As far as I know, handbrake 1.0.7 for Mac does not use the GPU for file conversion - at least not on Macs as old as mine. So any graphics driver issue for my GeForce 9400M shouldn't affect the conversion. But why does QuickTime only have trouble playing files converted using macOS High Sierra while it does play the files converted using macOS Sierra (and the very same handbrake version!) just fine?

If you'd like to test it, I uploaded a 10 seconds excerpt from the file converted in macOS High Sierra (620 KB) here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ww0rz1g7hwg62z/test.mp4?dl=0

I haven’t tried handbrake, but I would use a video format that you can view like mkv or that. May need VLC or IINA to play them
Yes, sure, but my media archive is h.264 m4v/mp4, I'd rather not switch from that just because of some weird bug on my current OS. And VLC can play all files just fine, regardless of whether they were created using macOS Sierra or High Sierra. But that's not the point - the question is if there's some permanent damage in files created using macOS High Sierra that may cause (unexpected) problems at some point in the future ...

@dosdude1, any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.