macOS High Sierra Will Be Released on September 25

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

macOS High Sierra, the new version of the macOS operating systems for Macs, will be released to the public on Monday, September 25, according to Apple's macOS High Sierra website.

That's nearly a week after the iOS 11 and watchOS 4 release date, with those software updates coming on Tuesday, September 19. It is not unusual for the Mac operating system to be released after new watchOS and iOS operating system updates.

[​IMG]

macOS High Sierra builds on features first introduced in the macOS Sierra update in 2016, focusing primarily on new storage, video, and graphics technology. The update brings a new Apple File System (APFS), High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC), new HEIF image encoding, and an updated version of Metal with support for VR and external GPUs.

Multiple apps have been updated with new capabilities in macOS High Sierra. Photos features a new sidebar to make it easier to access editing tools and albums, and there are new filters and editing options like Curves and Selective Color.

Safari is gaining speed enhancements, an option to prevent autoplay videos, and a privacy feature aimed at cutting down on cross-site data tracking. Siri in macOS High Sierra has a new, more natural voice, and Spotlight offers flight status information. iCloud, FaceTime, Notes, and Mail also include useful new features.

macOS High Sierra will run on all machines that are capable of running macOS Sierra, the current Mac operating system.

For a complete overview of changes coming in macOS High Sierra, make sure to check out our macOS High Sierra roundup.

Article Link: macOS High Sierra Will Be Released on September 25

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Earlier than I expected. I think I'll wait for .1 and hopefully SuperDuper will be updated for APFS by that time.

Besides, I can get almost all the new features I want in the new Safari for Sierra!

3. jdillings macrumors 65816

I don't plan on upgrading. I'm just going to wait for Higher Sierra or Highest Sierra.

4. DFZD macrumors regular

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Weird - I guess GM will come sometime between now and next Tuesday.

6. modemthug macrumors regular

It troubles me that they didn't even mention this during the keynote

Hopefully I'm reading too much into it and that the future of the Mac isn't in jeopardy

7. nutmac macrumors 68040

I hope Apple will seed another beta. APFS FileVault caused nothing but trouble for me, even on the very last beta where I did a clean install.

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It was kind of strange given all the useless retail updates. They had plenty of time. But the future of the Mac was in jeopardy then they wouldn't be making a new Mac Pro or iMac Pro.

9. Markoth macrumors 6502

Markoth

You are. They recently had a major Mac event, so there wasn't much to mention.

Thus far though, APFS has been vaporware for some of use, since High Sierra seems to refuse to convert certain configurations. A bit of a shame, really.

10. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

They never mentioned it in past keynotes. Mac are rarely mentioned at Sept keynotes

It was always just randomly mentioned during a earnings call.

11. iBluetooth macrumors member

The new APFS file system will make your computer run faster if you have SSD.

12. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

Doesn't it usually release with iOS each year?

13. nutmac macrumors 68040

While certain file operations are indeed faster, day-to-day operations like opening an app or large file are almost the same.

14. Kabeyun macrumors 6502a

Kabeyun

Conventional wisdom reminder: never install x.0 version of an operating system. i.e. The term for those who do is "beta tester."

15. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

1. Has the green button bug finally been fixed? It's annoying as hell to see windows go full screen and hide essential things like the file menu and dock!
    2. Has Apple stopped disrespecting indie developers like XtraFinder / TotalFinder and allow us to do things like cut/copy/paste files with NORMAL keyboard shortcuts (cmd+x, cmd+c, cmd+v) ???

16. MikhailT macrumors 601

Vaporware means it doesn't exist in any form or fashion and has been over-hyped/promised.

All iOS 10.3+ users are using APFS for several months now.

In addition, APFS will be mandated on any Macs with flash storage when updating to macOS 10.13.

As for the certain configs such as the Mac Pros, they make up a small number of users. Apple said it was coming in a future seed or beta update as far as I know.

17. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

18. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I actually worried about this for about a minute, then realised they had nothing to say other than repeat bits of the last keynote. "As we said, a new Mac Pro is coming, a new iMac Pro is coming and well-baked High Sierra is coming..." Now all I need is release date of the .5 version "focusing on under-the-hood updates and stability improvements", so I can safely install it on all our computers – might give .1 a try on the Macbook... after backing everything up a few times.

19. justperry, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

My iPhone 6S got substantially faster when APFS got introduced, It (APFS) didn't make macOS 10.13 faster (yet). (On a Samsung aftermarket SSD)

20. Janichsan macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

It's what, three years now? You still have not realised that this is not a bug, but an intentional design decision?

21. nvmls macrumors regular

nvmls

You can easily move (cut) with cmd+c & cmd+alt+v to place, same as cutting.

22. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

23. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

The power of imagination is strong in this one.

24. MikeAnd macrumors member