Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macOS High Sierra, the new version of the macOS operating systems for Macs, will be released to the public on Monday, September 25, according to Apple's macOS High Sierra website.

That's nearly a week after the iOS 11 and watchOS 4 release date, with those software updates coming on Tuesday, September 19. It is not unusual for the Mac operating system to be released after new watchOS and iOS operating system updates.

macOS-High-Sierra-800x500.jpg

macOS High Sierra builds on features first introduced in the macOS Sierra update in 2016, focusing primarily on new storage, video, and graphics technology. The update brings a new Apple File System (APFS), High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC), new HEIF image encoding, and an updated version of Metal with support for VR and external GPUs.

Multiple apps have been updated with new capabilities in macOS High Sierra. Photos features a new sidebar to make it easier to access editing tools and albums, and there are new filters and editing options like Curves and Selective Color.

Safari is gaining speed enhancements, an option to prevent autoplay videos, and a privacy feature aimed at cutting down on cross-site data tracking. Siri in macOS High Sierra has a new, more natural voice, and Spotlight offers flight status information. iCloud, FaceTime, Notes, and Mail also include useful new features.

macOS High Sierra will run on all machines that are capable of running macOS Sierra, the current Mac operating system.

For a complete overview of changes coming in macOS High Sierra, make sure to check out our macOS High Sierra roundup.

Article Link: macOS High Sierra Will Be Released on September 25

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Earlier than I expected. I think I'll wait for .1 and hopefully SuperDuper will be updated for APFS by that time.

Besides, I can get almost all the new features I want in the new Safari for Sierra!

Reactions: Ener Ji

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I hope Apple will seed another beta. APFS FileVault caused nothing but trouble for me, even on the very last beta where I did a clean install.

Reactions: Ener Ji and Aldaris

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It troubles me that they didn't even mention this during the keynote

Hopefully I'm reading too much into it and that the future of the Mac isn't in jeopardy

It was kind of strange given all the useless retail updates. They had plenty of time. But the future of the Mac was in jeopardy then they wouldn't be making a new Mac Pro or iMac Pro.

Reactions: Ener Ji

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You

Hopefully I'm reading too much into it and that the future of the Mac isn't in jeopardy
You are. They recently had a major Mac event, so there wasn't much to mention.

Thus far though, APFS has been vaporware for some of use, since High Sierra seems to refuse to convert certain configurations. A bit of a shame, really.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010

They never mentioned it in past keynotes. Mac are rarely mentioned at Sept keynotes

It was always just randomly mentioned during a earnings call.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The new APFS file system will make your computer run faster if you have SSD.
While certain file operations are indeed faster, day-to-day operations like opening an app or large file are almost the same.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
  1. Has the green button bug finally been fixed? It's annoying as hell to see windows go full screen and hide essential things like the file menu and dock!
  2. Has Apple stopped disrespecting indie developers like XtraFinder / TotalFinder and allow us to do things like cut/copy/paste files with NORMAL keyboard shortcuts (cmd+x, cmd+c, cmd+v) ???

Reactions: dadouney and fairuz

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
You are. They recently had a major Mac event, so there wasn't much to mention.

Thus far though, APFS has been vaporware for some of use, since High Sierra seems to refuse to convert certain configurations. A bit of a shame, really.

Vaporware means it doesn't exist in any form or fashion and has been over-hyped/promised.

All iOS 10.3+ users are using APFS for several months now.

In addition, APFS will be mandated on any Macs with flash storage when updating to macOS 10.13.

As for the certain configs such as the Mac Pros, they make up a small number of users. Apple said it was coming in a future seed or beta update as far as I know.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I actually worried about this for about a minute, then realised they had nothing to say other than repeat bits of the last keynote. "As we said, a new Mac Pro is coming, a new iMac Pro is coming and well-baked High Sierra is coming..." Now all I need is release date of the .5 version "focusing on under-the-hood updates and stability improvements", so I can safely install it on all our computers – might give .1 a try on the Macbook... after backing everything up a few times.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
  1. Has the green button bug finally been fixed? It's annoying as hell to see windows go full screen and hide essential things like the file menu and dock!

It's what, three years now? You still have not realised that this is not a bug, but an intentional design decision?

Reactions: tom.humphrey

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
  1. Has Apple stopped disrespecting indie developers like XtraFinder / TotalFinder and allow us to do things like cut/copy/paste files with NORMAL keyboard shortcuts (cmd+x, cmd+c, cmd+v) ???

You can easily move (cut) with cmd+c & cmd+alt+v to place, same as cutting.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

MikeAnd

Suspended
Jan 8, 2008
Reactions: David G.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.