MacOS Mojave - App Compatibility

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by BasicGreatGuy, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. gilby101 macrumors member

System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy, unlock the padlock (with your admin password), tick or add Hyperdock.

2. Anonymous Beaver macrumors newbie

How do you tick or add Hyperdock if it's not an application in the application folder but just a preference pane? I didn't get it from the App Store but from the website download. When I navigate to the preference pane in the library, it is greyed out.

3. gilby101, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018

gilby101 macrumors member

My reply was too hasty, sorry. On one of my Macs, I did a clean install (to an early beta), so I now have to rack my memory as to what got it working. I think it was a reboot and re-enable hyperdock (if not already enabled) and that brings up the request to enable accessibility with the accessibility window having hyperdock just waiting to be ticked. And if that doesn't work first time, try rebooting again.

Edit: This is a better reply:
    The app that you need to add is not the HyperDock app (which as you say does not exist with the preference pane version), but the Helper app which is located here /Users/.../Library/PreferencePanes/HyperDock.prefpane/Contents/Resources/HyperDock Helper.app Open it in Finder and drag and drop onto the Accessibility pref pane.

4. Anonymous Beaver macrumors newbie

Hey, I added it to the accessibility window but the app just kept on crashing. I just redownloaded it (version 1.8) and it worked again. Thanks for the help

5. ThrowerGB, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018

ThrowerGB macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2018 ---
    Canon MP Navigator EX for CanoScan Lide 210 works AFTER you update MP Navigator EX from v4.0.5 to v4.0.6 and update the drivers as well. The Canon web site provides both those files.

6. gilby101 macrumors member

I have been using VueScan https://www.hamrick.com with my CanoScan 9000F all through the Mojave beta period. I might well stay with VueScan even if MP Navigator does start to work again.

7. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

But I use them on Sierra just fine. Just because the vendor doesn't provide technical support mean they won't run. If its one of the hallmarks of the Mac OS even into its transition to OS X was compatibility.

I have a iBook G3 with Mac OS 9.1 that ran Word 5.1 from 1992.
    Apple definitely made compatibility a priority during the shift to Intel by creating a translation layer called Rosetta for incompatible app code bases on completely different platforms and supported it for quite a while, too.

So, I don't see whats so fundamentally different from Adobe CS6 running on 10.8 from 2012, versus 10.12 from 2016. Its still the same Intel code base. Of course, High Sierra was a different story, but then again, they also had to make sure key apps worked. If it worked on APFS under 10.13, I don't see what kinda fundamental changes could be introduced in 10.14 to warrant making such a move.

I am simply am not going subscription for such products. I would rather stay on 10.13 or 10.12 then slowly switch over to alternatives on a new Mac when the time comes.

8. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Mojave seems to have killed Photoshop CS5. I had to reinstall the legacy Java Runtime to get it to launch, but doing just about anything causes an immediate crash. Attempting to select the text tool or print causes an immediate crash, otherwise I get random crashes after about 3 to 5 minutes of work. I guess I knew my days with CS5 were limited.

9. Costa-USSR, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018

Costa-USSR Suspended

Working:

TextWrangler
    version 5.5.2 (397016)
    (Mac App Store build)

Prepo
    Version 2.2.7 (15)

10. PauloJMParreira macrumors newbie

PauloJMParreira

LastPass is OK so far.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2018 ---
    Still using Iwork (Pages and Numbers) for mail merge, after update to Mojave the app opens but can't open any of my files. Is there a workaround or i must start looking for a 3rd app?

11. rjtiedeman macrumors regular

I am still using adobe cs6 and it’s days are numbered also. my office updated to the subscription plan and it’s works fine but the monthly payments have gone up every year. Not cool when you have “several workstations that are only used part time. We don’t need the latest features for most work. we just need to make enough to keep the lights on.

12. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i imagine that CS6 apps will work into the next OS; photoshop CS6 is good here now, and am sure adobe will update it's 32-bit files (like application manager, etc); CC needs these things updated too.

13. BookEmDanno macrumors 6502

BookEmDanno

Added Virus Scanner Plus app to the compatible list. Although macOS is less prone (compared to Windows) to virus infection, I felt adding it to the list just in case users on Macs experience infection.

14. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

There are NO known Mac viruses in the wild... sure, there's malware and such, but there is no virus, and, therefore, no need for a virus scanner in macOS... Malware Bytes, perhaps... but no virus scanner needed.

15. BookEmDanno macrumors 6502

BookEmDanno

Thought so. According to their documentation, it indicates it can detect Malware Bytes as well.
    It was added to the OP list as an FYI. I can delete it if you like.

16. gilby101 macrumors member

Not need to delete a Mac app just because someone else doesn't have a need for it. If it works let it stand. There are other a-v apps in the list.

17. BookEmDanno macrumors 6502

BookEmDanno

Understood. Thanks for the response.

18. BookEmDanno macrumors 6502

BookEmDanno

Update OP with the latest versions of these apps.

Parallels Desktop 14.0.1
    VMWare Fusion Pro 11.0.0

FYI.

19. askme macrumors newbie

Anyone able to tell me if Office 2011 is still working ok?

20. tiger2 macrumors member

Can anyone confirm if iWeb works?

(I know, I know . . . I'm holding out until the bitter end.)

Thanks!

21. whg macrumors regular

whg

It still works for me, but I haven't tested all features. I mainly use the old version for MathType (an equation editor with easy formula referencing). For the new Office version (2016) this wasn't available for a long time, and now we can only it with a subscription service (like Adobe products), which is not acceptable for me.

22. dwnldr, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

dwnldr macrumors member

dwnldr

EDIT : After some research i find out, that actually AU LAB made a mistake. It was problems with permissions for mentioned AU LAB. Now is everything working as they should (just run AU LAB for the first time from /Downloads folder and allow permissions. After THIS STEP you can move the app to /Applications). So finally : AU LAB and SOUNDFLOWER = WORKING ON macOS Mojave !

original post : not exactly "app" ,but extension used by many users: SOUNDFLOWER = NOT WORKING ON Mojave. Installation went fine, everything looks as should, but if you choose as output Soundflower, the sound is muted = no throughput.

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... I just fired it up and it works fine.

24. tiger2 macrumors member

Thank you!

25. Tech198 macrumors G5

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.