macOS Mojave Removes Integration With Third-Party Internet Accounts Like Twitter and Facebook

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2018.

1. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Go back to bed, grandpa.

2. B60boy macrumors member

B60boy

Having the same exact issue.

3. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

I stopped using the integration once Facebook message alerts didn't contain any preview of the message; they just told me there was one.

However I had, and still have, my Facebook calendar integrated with my iCloud calendars.

In Calendar, select "New Calendar Subscription" then add the url which will be like this:
    webcal://www.facebook.com/ical/u.php?uid=blahblahblah

In Facebook, you get the URL by clicking on Events and then "Upcoming events" in the box on the right. Screenshot attached.

Screenshot 2018-06-06 at 15.22.39.png

4. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

They aren’t mutually exclusive. Forums.macrumors.com has far more in common with major social media sites than it has differences; you can post comments, upload photos, embed video, like posts, follow others, and even post status updates to your profile. Just because you find it less irritating than other sites doesn’t mean it isn’t social media.

5. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

EXCELLENT! I love this new war that Apple is raging against Facebook

Burn it Down!

6. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

The only thing I used this for was to add my Google Contacts to Mac OS (and iOS) - so I could have just one set of contacts. (Added Google as an account but synced only contacts). But I won't miss it.

7. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Disappointing. I always use the Flickr upload feature from within Photos.

8. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Yeah mine has been doing the exact same!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2018 ---
    That might remain an option in Photos - just like you can upload to SoundCloud etc from Logic.

9. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

Except that Twitter just killed their app and dear jebus I would not want an actual failbook app. At least not until they kill the bloat and resource hogging.

10. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

11. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

You can still add Google accounts in that screenshot, so I imagine you'll still be able to do that.

12. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

And nothing of value was lost. Or, really, gained for that matter.

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I think that's the point. Don't want it, don't download it. If you want it, get it. There is no reason Apple should be developing in-house plugins for social networks bloating everyone's OS with them even if they aren't used, when the social network companies are perfectly capable of making those plugins and apps themselves.

14. nesl247 macrumors member

Yes it actually does. Though unfortunately everytime I add an account using it, it disappears after a few minutes. I've tried restarting, didn't help. I've already reported it to Apple, hopefully it's fixed in the next beta.

If you upgrade, would you respond with whether it works for you or not? I'm curious.

15. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

I think I'm picking up what you're putting down.

And the share sheet then, that's on the devs to implement into their apps, isn't it?

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Yes it is, just like on iOS.

17. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Awesome, thanks very much for this - very helpful, wish I saw that too!

18. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Excellent move by Apple to do this. If people want the notifications then they can download the app by themselves on their own and deal with privacy issues on their own. None of that stuff should be integrated into the OS

19. autrefois macrumors 65816

autrefois

Exactly. They just added the option in Mojave to have favicons in tabs on Safari. It's optional. Some people want them, some don't. Give people an option and in this case, where there's a privacy concern, give a warning.

20. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Think about it. Apple already has an amazing “social media” platform that’s more private. It’s called phone calls, texting, group chats and FaceTime. IMessages even have stickers and fun features for you to communicate between friends.

I hate Facebook, I only use it for business to advertise by running ads there. Never again will I post there and want to, and haven’t been since 2010.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2018 ---
    Exactly. These companies are lazy. I’m still waiting on proper video streaming Mac apps without relying on their cruddy websites.

21. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

Yes. I use the Twitter integration to share web articles like the ones on Macrumors.

22. jaster2 macrumors newbie

jaster2

Does this mean the Share function in Finder won't include Vimeo in the list of options anymore? I like the ability to upload videos from Finder to Vimeo. It works well in the background.

23. TallGuyGT macrumors regular

TallGuyGT

I like how it currently can update contacts with profile pictures from LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. Makes using Messages better for me.

I also like having people’s birthdays on my calendar automatically.

Aside from that I rarely look at social media and won’t miss the FB notifications.

24. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Social media - Wikipedia
    [​IMG]
    A Facebook page on a mobile phone
    Social media are computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks. The variety of stand-alone and built-in social media services currently available introduces challenges of definition; however, there are some common features:

25. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

Finally someone who understands the difference, well said :)

Websites and message boards do not classify as social media in the olden money

By social media I mean - facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat and similar cr*p