macOS Mojave Removes Integration With Third-Party Internet Accounts Like Twitter and Facebook

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

When Apple released iOS 11, the company removed built-in integration with Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, and Vimeo, a feature that allowed iPhone and iPad users to store their third-party account information and access it within apps that needed to use those services.

The equivalent integration remains in macOS High Sierra, but Reddit user Marc1199 has noted that Apple appears to have removed support for third-party accounts completely in macOS 10.14 Mojave.

[​IMG]
    Image via Reddit user Marc119

The image above shows the Internet Accounts preference pane in Mojave, with a distinct lack of OS login options for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr, and Vimeo.

The removal means that third-party sharing options previously available in Notification Center and other native apps are no longer be available, at least in the latest beta of Apple's new macOS.

Dropping support for third-party social network accounts fits into Apple's vision of enhanced privacy protections in macOS 11.14 and iOS 12, both due to release in the fall. In the meantime, users running macOS High Sierra can remove lingering third-party accounts from their Macs with the help of our how-to guide.

Article Link: macOS Mojave Removes Integration With Third-Party Internet Accounts Like Twitter and Facebook

2. mpConroe macrumors regular

mpConroe

3. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

4. Cryptocrab macrumors newbie

Does 10.14 actually have support for Microsoft Modern Auth and SAML for O365 now?

iOS 11 was a step in the right direction.

10.13 still required horrific application based passwords to consume O365 services.

5. ArtOfWarfare, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Between stopping Facebook from tracking you but leaving Google as your default search engine, I’m getting the sense that either Google is paying Apple to inflict pain on Facebook, or Apple wants to get into social media.

I feel Memojis + AR are meant to beat Facebook to the punch they’ve been talking about for awhile, where you can have natural feeling group conversations without having to have everyone present in the same physical space.

You sit alone (or not) in a room, let AR size the room up, join the group chat, and the room fills with the Memojis of all the people you want to chat with in AR. They’re on their iPhones, with face scanning projecting their expressions and voice onto their Memoji in your AR. When you face their Memoji, they see your Memoji facing them.

Might be enough to finally make virtual attendants of meetings feel right. Those little 360 cameras that spin around never felt right - eye contact is missing, and the camera is in a weird spot to see from, plus you normally have no control over which way it looks.

Of course, whiteboards won’t work well... but Apple can project a virtual screen in AR. No need for a physical projector or TV anymore, in fact.

Edit: I thought about it some more, and this could work well with board games. As a simple example, I'm playing checkers in AR. I physically move my local pieces. On your end, you see my memoji move my virtual pieces.

Although even in this simple example... I capture your piece... the virtual piece can be automatically moved on my end, but now you need to remove your physical piece. I guess maybe that'll be fine though... requiring the movement of virtual pieces in AR to always follow their physical movements, wherever they are, keeps the system more flexible... you just have a weird restriction that doesn't exist if you're both actually in the same space, where you can't actually touch virtual items.

6. martyjmclean macrumors regular

martyjmclean

I liked the Twitter + Vimeo integration, but I’m not going to miss it tbh.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

I know privacy is their concern. Although I have no use for those services. They were completely optional. I don’t see a reason to drop easy automated integration. Just add a new warning like when using downloaded apps.

Which by the way I hate that they require an override. That requires accessing the security pane. Whose button you can’t click via some VPN apps. Makes remote IT support a pain.

8. eightdotthree macrumors newbie

Most likely as a push for native apps or iOS versions.

9. johnnyzg macrumors newbie

johnnyzg

Facebook integration stopped working on my MBP running High Sierra 10.13.4 few weeks ago. It was requesting password via notifications all the time and when correct password is entered it displayed something like incorrect password. I have deleted Facebook integration because of this strange behavior as it was quite annoying.

So in Mojave Apple resolved my issue by not giving me option to integrate with FB at all lol

10. purplehaze0 macrumors regular

purplehaze0

I too would like the option . It makes sharing onto my fundraising pages much easier.

11. TriBruin macrumors member

Right-Click (or ctrl-click) the package and select Open (or Open with... Installer) and you then run the installer without having to go in to Security preferences.

12. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

I have the same issue. It also appeared a couple weeks ago. I have 2-factor authentication setup, so after entering your password it texts you a 6-digit passcode to use. Entering that returns a notice that authentication failed and sends the text again. I've deleted the integration and added it again without success.

I don't miss not having the integration. It can simply be added through 3rd party means if really needed.

13. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

Now I won't get 220 notifications every time I get a message on Facebook.

14. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I love when people post comments like this… on social media platforms.

15. DanielSw macrumors 6502

DanielSw

This has been happening to me, too!

16. Xavier macrumors 68030

Used it and didn't like it. If i want to post, ill do it from the app or website.

Wont miss this.

17. Zenithal macrumors 603

Is Vimeo known to sell user data or am I missing something here?

18. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

macOS Mojave .... the OS is better by virtue of the things it takes away.

19. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

They've failed miserably every time they've done so (Ping be the most egregious example) so I hope they never attempt it again.

20. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

On one hand, I get it. On the other, I'm annoyed by it because I use the share sheet in iOS constantly... but at the same time I feel unaffected by this. I think it's because of how good Keychain has gotten, combined with 1Password?

Oh good, it wasn't just me that is having that issue.

21. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

It stopped working for me on High Sierra too but one thing I will miss and that's calendar integration with Facebook as often I've been interested in many Facebook events and it was great to check it out in Mac's calendar rather than going to Facebook, especially with other meetings and iCloud calendar. Do you guys please know if there's a way to sync this back? Thanks!

22. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

This isn't social media, it's a web site which also happens to have a forum for social discussion. The format and presentation between the two are distinctly different.

That and MacRumors doesn't follow me around the web everywhere I go.

23. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

What about apps you drag to the application folder or ones where that prompt does not come up during the install but comes up after the installer completes?

24. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Theoretically nothing is stoping Facebook (or Twitter and the rest) from releasing a proper macOS app and adding that share sheet rifgt back in.