macOS Mojave Removes Integration With Third-Party Internet Accounts Like Twitter and Facebook

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2018.

1. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

OK... but for people who DO like social media this was a generally good feature. Apple seems to be 'simplifying' by removing features. Seems like if want these... use them. If not... don't.

2. sledgehammer89 macrumors regular

sledgehammer89

... for my 100 services I use.

Craziest decission to support them at all.

3. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

And I take exactly the opposite approach. Give me an app that I can control.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2018 ---
    I'm with you... generally... except: how much was this integration truly 'bloating' the OS?

4. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

Typo should be macOS 10.14

5. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

It wasn't a big bloat, sure, but how many different internet accounts were supported? A few dozen? Meanwhile most people signed in to 2 or 3 at most.

7. Mike Stumbo macrumors newbie

Mike Stumbo

Your problem wasn't with your Mac, it was with your Facebook Account. With what happened recently with The Zuck standing before congress confronting the issue of social privacy, he took it very seriously and has the company make huge efforts to protect its clientele. Now I'm not defending FB or a spokesperson for them, I just felt led to share this info with you, being I had the same problem, and found the fix, not with deleting the '3rd party Extension', but rather going into FB's account settings and removing all known and unknown devices from account, and then setting up 2 form factor login. This is a feature almost everyone uses today! upon doing this you login to FB on your Mac and FB will text you a one time passcode, you input that into the extension and then FB asks if your Mac is you and if it's ok to approve the device for future login's, you select ok and viola, good as new! I like this for the sake and ease of sharing button on apps such as Chrome, Safari, Photos, pretty much any app! But hey, to each there own I guess!

8. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Zuckerberg and Dorsey are sociopaths beholden to anti-democratic foreign investors. Screw them and the social media **** that has made the world a worser place. Technology should be a tool for education, productivity and commerce. Facebook and Twitter brought hatred, misinformation, and bullying on a level we never had before and they didn't take it seriously and still don't. Their promises are vapour. They want humans to be brainless ad-watching machines.

If you want to discuss things online then speciality forums like ones this will suffice.

If you want to hook up with friends and relatives, call them. Meet them in person. Stop gawking at every detail of their lives. It's so much better not to know what everyone is doing and even better to feel longing for someone you haven't seen for a long time.

9. ebernet, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

ebernet macrumors member

I don't see this as any different than when they removed facebook and twitter from the iPhone as native share extension destinations. Those share sheets on the iPhone are now provided by those companies, allowing them to iterate at a faster pace and create more compelling experiences. While neither facebook NOR Twitter have native macOS clients (instead providing these services via a web browser, Twitter having just EOL'd their macOS app...), there is nothing preventing them from creating a stub application that could add these services via a share sheet. I expect that is what will happen (and the extensions will be handled via System Preferences > Extensions > Share Menu rather than via Internet Accounts, while the credentials themselves will be handled within the preferences of the particular apps). This will prevent the ongoing issues over the past several years of Apple or the vendors having their integration break due to security changes on one side or the other. We may also see facebook and Twitter entering and re-entering the macOS application market with the new UIKit integration once they can easily port their iOS apps to macOS.

10. markaceto, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

markaceto macrumors newbie

markaceto

Please provide a screenshot after clicking "Add Other Account..." to confirm the headline, and what other services are available.

11. mingravity macrumors member

not necessarily. G suite and O365 are used by businesses on a large scale so its only makes sense to support them for productivity. FB and twitter well lets just sat are waste of time.

12. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Facebook is dead as all the cool kids have moved to Instagram.

13. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I think options are cool but honestly don’t care one way or the other.

14. Reverend Benny macrumors member

Reverend Benny

macOS Mojave Removes Integration With Third-Party Internet Accounts Like Twitter and Facebook

Wooohoooo, about flippin time....I applaud this move.

15. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

This has been garbage for a while now in OSX (yeah before they started calling it MacOS). Twitter esposes be exact same behaviour for me on 2012 Mac mini using OSX 10.11

16. rodpascoe macrumors regular

rodpascoe

Nope. Apart from the aside that Facebook *own* Instagram, Facebook has 3 times the number of actual users that Instagram does. The largest social media platform in the world with users numbering in the billions is far from dead.

17. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

18. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Facebook might have the numbers in terms of total users but its most important marketing demographic is moving elsewhere.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 4, 2018 ---
    My general reason for sticking with iOS is that Android is a basket of confusion. The interface is terrible and caused my wife to smash an Android phone against the wall in frustration. Never get on the wrong side of a technologically angry spouse :)

19. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Will it still be possible to add the Facebook calendar to the Calendar app? I love that. Integrating sharing and all that stuff I don't care about!

20. roger dronography macrumors newbie

roger dronography

--- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2018 ---
    THE WALKAROUND IS THIS FOR MAJOVE PHOTOS TO FACEBOOK PLEAS SPREAD THIS AROUND!!
    1GO TO FACEBOOK
    2CLICK ON PHOTO/VIDEO LIKE YOUR GOING TO POST
    3 UP COMES MAC OS SCREEN WHERE YOU WANT TO POST FROM
    4 LOOK TO THE LEFT AND CHOOSE PHOTOS THEN CHOOSE COLECTIONS
    5 ALL YOUR PHOTOS WILL APPEAR
    6 CLICK PHOTO U WANT IT UPLOADS THEN GIVES YOU A SPOT TO ADD COMMENT
    7 BAM YA DONE ITS EASY PEEZY

21. alaskamama macrumors newbie

One way around it that I've discovered is to Airdrop into your iPhone from your Mac and then share the photos from there. Kind of a pain but can't be helped. Cheers. alaskamama
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2018 ---
    One way around it that I've discovered is to Airdrop into your iPhone from your Mac and then share the photos from there. Kind of a pain but can't be helped. Cheers. alaskamama

22. sundevil671 macrumors newbie

If anyone stumbles upon a workaround that'd get this feature back, I'd love to hear about it. It's not going to change my life or anything, but I did heavily use the Vimeo share-menu integration & it definitely makes taking a quick screen recording with Quicktime Player or taking a video in Photos & sending it up to Vimeo a heckuva lot faster & easier - unfortunately you still need a platform-independent option like Vimeo for sharing video to avoid the nonsense & inevitable group of users that can't open any native formats QT will produce, etc.

of

23. RoadScholar macrumors newbie

RoadScholar

Not having the ability to open an image and export it directly to Facebook, how shall I put this-- blows.

24. tr4pst4rs macrumors newbie

tr4pst4rs

i hated that ******** notification but i would like to share my photos directly from my Photos App...