Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday provided the release candidate version of macOS Monterey to developers, and the RC represents the final version of Monterey that will be going out to the public on Monday.

monterey-screen-saver.jpg

In the update, Apple introduced a new "Monterey" screen saver, which is designed to accompany the Monterey wallpaper that was already available.

The Monterey screen saver offers slow transitions through hills and valleys in different shades of pink, purple, and blue, as demonstrated in the video below.

Apple made some major changes in the final beta of macOS Monterey, undoing nearly all of the Safari design changes that had been introduced in June. Safari looks like it did in macOS Big Sur, but there is an option for the new "Compact" Monterey design for those who prefer it.

macOS Monterey is set to be released on Monday, October 25, one day ahead of when the new MacBook Pro models are launching.

Article Link: macOS Monterey Includes New 'Monterey' Screen Saver

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
I remember when "Flurry" appeared (Jaguar?). I had been using it on Linux for a couple years before that. Apple was really embracing the Linux/open source ecosystem to get OSX fleshed out back then.

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
They should add the flying toaster and castaway. I know a lot of people are too young to remember those.
I'd love to see a re-release of After Dark screensavers!

Kids, back in my day, you actually needed screensavers to not destroy your monitor, AND you actually had to BUY them separately because your Mac didn't come with them.

Reactions: Martyimac

JMStearnsX2

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2020
Yeah, my first Mac was a Performa in 1994 that came with System 7. Ah the beauty of memory management... (or not)

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
My MacBook Pro told me that 12.0.1 was available, so I did a software update. Is 12.0.1 the RC?

I was running the Public Beta.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 21.42.37.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 21.42.37.png
    262.3 KB · Views: 54
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.