Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
so we will now be able to get 120hz mode by default on a supported monitor?
No, that is not what this is for.

This is for varying the refresh rate depending on content. It has nothing to do with changing the default.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
There are no AAA games for Mac (Battlefield, Cyberpunk, COD, etc). It's a nice feature.... but, pointless.
Sorry, I'm quoting you again, but I'm pretty sure Apple is aiming for the future here. In the future there might be more games for Mac if Apple now with their own GPUs manages to get more powerful graphics into the hands of more customers than has previously been the case. Also Apple seems to be improving Metal with new features and has also released Metal tools for Windows.

Seems to me Apple's interest in getting games also onto the Mac is not insignificant. Then what it lead to in practice I guess we have to wait and see.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
All the people who keep being “blown away” by M1 would be turned a hilarious shade of purple at the dismal FPS they would get on M1 hardware compared to what true dedicated graphics on PC is able to generate.

this will make for a great angry birds experience though!

We'll believe it when we see it. So far only three M1 native games and they're decades old.

https://www.macgamerhq.com/apple-m1/native-mac-m1-games/

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
Meh. I've mostly given up on games on current Macs.

I'm not into new games for the most part, and I'm not that into gaming anyway. But when I do want to play a game, I generally like a few older ones.

For the first 20 years of the Mac, it was great for that. Games that were new in 1984 would generally play on a Mac built in 2004. But in the last decade, Apple has turned to complete garbage at supporting older software, in many cases breaking things that were only a few years old. And what's even more true with games than any other type of software is that they almost never get updated, not even when a new OS breaks them.

So for the old stuff, I've got PPC Macs. For the newer games that I occasionally play, well, the old version that Apple intentionally broke still has a Windoze version that works fine on a modern system.

(Sheepshaver works, but isn't really the best for games.)

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
If Apple committed to Indie games the same way Nintendo has with the Switch, they would have a strong offering on their hands. A Mac Mini in the entertainment center could be (and has been) attractive for anyone wanting a little extra in their setup (Plex, games, occasional browsing). As-is, being able to play blown-up iPad games is a pretty lukewarm offering, as cool as they make the tech sound.

Even with indie games, you can do the same with a $300 Switch, PS4, Xbone, and do Plex with built-in apps on your TV.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
I'm wondering if I can save this comment forever like the ones complaining about the original iPod (thread #500) or the original iPhone, or the iPad, or Apple Music, or really man there are a lot of examples aren't there?

Apple are making their own chips for Macs now, and based on their previous success, they seem to be very good at it. The only thing holding Apple back from matching or surpassing what is happening at AMD and nVidia is their will to do so, not their ability.
When you feel like addressing my post let me know. I wasn't talking about Apple's chips. I was talking about Apple not giving two **** cents about gaming. Everything from extremely poor thermals to asininely designed desktops/laptops clearly states that Apple has not now, nor will they ever get gaming.

Apple's chips, since you brought them up, can't hold a candle to the ones made by Nvidia, AMD for and others for gaming and that's a fact.

• Disagree
Reactions: EPO75

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
When you feel like addressing my post let me know. I wasn't talking about Apple's chips. I was talking about Apple not giving two **** cents about gaming. Everything from extremely poor thermals to asininely designed desktops/laptops clearly states that Apple has not now, nor will they ever get gaming.
You're talking about the past. I think the point @rolphi is trying to make is that the future might not be the same. And to be certain that Apple will never get gaming just because they haven't in the past also doesn't make sense to me.

There's sure seems to be some focus on gaming with this varaible sync feature, new features added to Metal and Metal Developer Tools for Windows.

And I must say the Mac Pro from 2010 I have with AMD RX 5700 XT graphics is not a bad gaming machine. When booted into Windows…

Apple's chips, since you brought them up, can't hold a candle to the ones made by Nvidia, AMD for and others for gaming and that's a fact.
You're talking about the M1 now? Of course something that sits in a MacBook Air and iPad Pro can't compare to the GPUs from AMD and Nvidia. But what will Apple offer the rest of this year and the next graphics hardware wise on the Mac side of things? We don't know that yet.

You might be right that ”Apple still don't get gaming”, but I would't be that certain just yet. :)

lilkwarrior

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2017
San Francsico, CA
There are no AAA games for Mac (Battlefield, Cyberpunk, COD, etc). It's a nice feature.... but, pointless.
It's a nice feature for more than just gaming. Besides, it's a chicken & egg problem. Apple now doing their own silicon may very well make serious leaps what GPU performance their hardware has.

M1 is just the beginning & is a well-crafted *entry-level* GPU for everyday consumers. It's not at all intended to cater to mid-level & advanced creative professionals–as well as enthusiasts such as gamers–that need high GPU performance.

lilkwarrior

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2017
San Francsico, CA
Being a person always with high-end/workstation GPUs from AMD & Nvidia (3090 on my non-workstation desktop as well), what
not sure what the point is unless developers make games.

The M1 is mediocre with gtx 1060 like performance.

This is only worth it if we get AAA games and an M1x with like 3070-3080 performance.

Probably better off to buy a PS5 if I could find one lol.
Being a person always with high-end/workstation GPUs from AMD & Nvidia for my workstations (3090 on my non-workstation desktop as well) + the Series X & PS5, what were you expecting from the M1, an entry-level CPU that's merely better designed for everyday computing than Intel's i5 CPUs & AMD's equivalent CPUs?

M1 integrated graphics should *never* be compared to the performance of bleeding-edge discrete GPUs. It's a faulty & naive comparison.

I'd wait till Apple reveals what it would do for its high-end desktop hardware before having any verdict on Apple Silcon vs AMD & NVidia's dedicated components of doing the same thing.

Note that Apple tends to have a supplier chain advantage with the same suppliers AMD & Nvidia uses (Samsung & TSMC) which *can* enable Apple to catch-up very quickly to both.

l0stl0rd

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2009
Being a person always with high-end/workstation GPUs from AMD & Nvidia (3090 on my non-workstation desktop as well), what

Being a person always with high-end/workstation GPUs from AMD & Nvidia for my workstations (3090 on my non-workstation desktop as well) + the Series X & PS5, what were you expecting from the M1, an entry-level CPU that's merely better designed for everyday computing than Intel's i5 CPUs & AMD's equivalent CPUs?

M1 integrated graphics should *never* be compared to the performance of bleeding-edge discrete GPUs. It's a faulty & naive comparison.

I'd wait till Apple reveals what it would do for its high-end desktop hardware before having any verdict on Apple Silcon vs AMD & NVidia's dedicated components of doing the same thing.

Note that Apple tends to have a supplier chain advantage with the same suppliers AMD & Nvidia uses (Samsung & TSMC) which *can* enable Apple to catch-up very quickly to both.
Yes I agree and I except one of the next M iterations to be close to a 3070 (at least I hope so). We will see in a few months :)

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath :/ The only (semi-)recent AAA game on the system is XCOM 2 and even it has major quality restrictions (low-quality textures etc.)
What about Metro Exodus, Divinity Original Sin 2? And so many others!

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I dunno why this double quoted. iOS15 I guess.
I have seen several videos and followed the WoW forums and most I have seen is 50-60 with dips in particle effect heavy areas.

If you have video of 120 FPS I would love to see it

15 FPS in SL on brand new, fully patched iMac
Title says it all.

24" iMac, M1, 2021
Memory: 8GB
FPS: 15 with setting at 6 and 100% render.
Then there’s something wrong because my M1 MBP 16gb has Classic and Shadowlands pegged at 60fps (I believe on 7 but I’d have to check) when using the built in 4.5k screen.
When outputting to my 2k G7, it’s generally over 100fps.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
fwiw I'm getting about a 20% fps increase in same game on Monterey from my 5700xt

still about 10% less then windows, but not bad

Reactions: star-affinity

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I’ve got a ps5 and tbh I spend more time playing games on my iOS devices

Imagine a souped up Apple TV gaming edition that can play the entire iOS back catalogue in 4k ?

exciting times ..

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
What about Metro Exodus, Divinity Original Sin 2? And so many others!
oops, sorry, my bad - a temporary lapse of reason. I mistakenly tought for a moment this thread is about iOS and not macOS. (And on iOS indeed the non-XCOM 2 AAA titles are generally 3+ gens old ( GTA, Max Payne, LEGO games (Star Wars, etc), Goat Simulator, Star Wars KOTOR, Rayman, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, several Final Fantasy games, older Rollercoaster Tycoon).)

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Adaptive Sync appears to work in windowed mode as well.
WWDC sessions suggest that developers have to support it explicitly, but it works for RoTR and the recent Deus Ex, which are a couple of years old. Maybe it's just Feral doing an excellent job as usual. I'm curious to know if it works on other games.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Adaptive Sync appears to work in windowed mode as well.
WWDC sessions suggest that developers have to support it explicitly, but it works for RoTR and the recent Deus Ex, which are a couple of years old. Maybe it's just Feral doing an excellent job as usual. I'm curious to know if it works on other games.

oh, for some reason is was under the impression it wasn’t actually in the beta yet. i’ll have to try it out when i have a chance

edit: not able to get the option in display preferences. has anyone here actually gotten it to work? (could be lots of reasons i can’t. monitor, cable, etc…)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.