Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Is this the right time to upgrade from MacBook Pro 16' 2019 (Intel Mac) to the MacBook Air? Or should I wait another year?
FWIW personally I'm expecting to use my 2020 Intel MBA QC, so same vintage and not that much slower when not pegging the CPU for long periods of time, another year or year and half or so as my daily driver and pick up the eventual M3 15" MBA to replace it (old MBA is going to be shifted to a linux workstation that can either be docked to one of my eGPUs or taken as needed at that point probably).

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
sigh. . . . my 2017 27" iMac is no longer supported. I guess I shouldn't complain about being able to run the latest for 6 years. Sadly, there is not a simple replacement. MacMini + monitor seems to be the closest.
I'm in the same boat with you. Just had to replace the HDD half of the fusion drive last week with an SSD so much faster now! I'm sticking with this sucker for a long time I think.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Open Core legacy patcher. I'm running Ventura on my 2015 iMac and 2016 MBP with it and they run flawlessly.

Thanks! I have no idea what that is but will look into it. Does it mess around with SIP and other security features? If so, I'm really wary of mucking around with them. A long time ago, there was something I needed to do with SIP by turning it off or something and at some point it made wonky issues, with if I recall, Bluetooth issues. It was odd.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Yes 👍🏼⭐️

My MBA gets MacOS Sonoma, it will last another year or so I think, for the not so heavy usage.
I saved my money for now as no new portable Mac arrived. No temptations at all.
See next event.

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
Thanks! I have no idea what that is but will look into it. Does it mess around with SIP and other security features? If so, I'm really wary of mucking around with them. A long time ago, there was something I needed to do with SIP by turning it off or something and at some point it made wonky issues, with if I recall, Bluetooth issues. It was odd.
In my experience, OCLP is extremely advanced and user-friendly, and as long as you're not too eager to install the latest macOS builds – yes, even 1x.x.x point updates – and wait for OCLP itself to be updated before you update macOS, you'll be mostly fine. But in any case, do keep your machines backed up; you may thank me later. ;)

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
More to the point it starts the countdown till the end of Intel support. The 2019 Mac Pro was the last Intel Mac being sold. There's no reason now why Sonoma couldn't be the last Intel compatible version. Some jurisdictions may require them to keep a supported OS for ~5 years after the last machine was sold but AFAIK nothing, apart from PR, obliges Apple to provide new OS features for existing kit. Assuming the Intel MP was discontinued today they could have made Sonoma Apple Silicon only.

Some jurisdiction may require them to provide security updates and nothing more. Which is in Apple's best interest anyway.
Intels will likely get a Snow Leopard release in ~2025 which will get "point" releases with bugfixes all the way through 2028-2029 while ARM goes forward with major releases.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Apple Silicon Macs won't be on the chopping block for a longggg time.
And importantly - as I forgot to state in my first reply - Apple is still SELLING the M1 Air.

It will have to be a cold day in hell when Apple drops support for a Mac they were still selling only 12-24 months prior.

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
Is this the right time to upgrade from MacBook Pro 16' 2019 (Intel Mac) to the MacBook Air? Or should I wait another year?
Difficult to say.
I just ordered the MBA 15" on day one :cool: but it will replace a 13" Early 2015 MBP.
Your 2019 machine could do a year longer so you could wait for a M3 MBA.
But only you know whether you are still happy with your MBP 😇

Reactions: JCarmona

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
I’m on 2017 MBP and I ain’t bothered about being dropped. This latest round of OS updates brings literally nothing to the table beyond stupid gimmicks.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
On the Intel side, it looks offhand like all T2-equipped machines made the cut. This is not surprising.

2019 27" iMac Retina 5K does NOT have T2 and made the cut.

iMac 2019. Come now. That has got to be a typo.

Might want to re-read the article. Says 2019 iMac will be supported. Bad wording in headline and bullet list to make you think otherwise, however.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
It's very clear Apple is trying to update-out Intel Macs as quickly as possible, and I understand why. As these new features and capabilities roll out year-to-year, a lot of them are only possible due to the power and efficiency of Apple Silicon.

Maybe. But there was no big feature in the last years I really cared about or use on a daily basis.

If Apple was environmently friendly, as they claim, they would provide security updates for older modells much longer. And, more important, they would clearly state for how long updates are provided.

The 2019 Mac Pro was the last Intel Mac being sold.

The was an Intel iMac in 2020.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
It’s clear that support isn’t based on what will run the new software well, it’s completely arbitrary now, and Apple is rushing to drop intel support.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

tegranjeet

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2019
Boulder, CO
Tough for the 12-inch MacBook. Was thinking Apple would release an M-series 12-13 inch MacBook in a similar form before ceasing software updates. It's hardly 2 pounds, 25% lighter than the current 13-inch MacBook Air.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
If Apple was environmently friendly, as they claim, they would provide security updates for older modells much longer. And, more important, they would clearly state for how long updates are provided.

This times 10000. If Apple actually caress about the environment, they’d stop arbitrarily dropping support for devices and security support would be much longer.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Maybe. But there was no big feature in the last years I really cared about or use on a daily basis.

The was an Intel iMac in 2020.
Intel MBA in 2020 too, I have one :). But I think the OP meant the last *still* being sold.

I'd bet we get one more Intel compatible update next year to cover whatever trickle of MPs were sold this year, and then drop support in 2025, leaving MacOS 16 the first to be AS only. What I do wonder about is if they'll keep Rosetta2 around longer than they kept the original, there's a *lot* more x86 compatibility needs than there were PPC ones.

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
This times 10000. If Apple actually caress about the environment, they’d stop arbitrarily dropping support for devices and security support would be much longer.

They should have issued a monitorOS style update to be able to run older iMacs as Thunderbolt monitors, even if that meant never being able to run that iMac as a Mac ever again, or having to dual boot in some fashion. Dropping target display mode only added to the problem. Would have eased the transition from Intel to AS and likely got more on board sooner. Know many who have no plans to update Intel-based iMacs for a long time.

tgt

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
It looks like my current MacBook Pro (2019 16") won't get updates for quite as long as my previous Macs :(

Edit: Nevermind. Just looked at my signature and I suppose it'll last as long as my first one after all.

AstarA

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2016
England
Why is it that my very old Mac mini works fine with OpenCore Legacy Patcher and Apple now decides my iMac 2017 basically obsolete for the next operating system. It's just a seems a scam to me. Nothing to do with pushing suckers like us who are tied into the Apple system with phones watches ipads etc into more purchases that we don't really need. Don't give me the computer can't run some features rubbish. Won't wash with me. Shame on you Apple. Shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.