Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
They were also only $50.
Meanwhile, the entire rest of the iPod lineup was in the hundred to multiple hundreds of dollars.
At the time, the iPod shuffle was really the best stocking stuffer for any Apple fan.
Just cheap enough where you could buy one without much concern.
Kinda like the AirTags today, great stocking stuffers, and even if you don't really want one, you'll probably eventually find a purpose for it.
I remember, my cousin bought one for my mom and she didnt know what to do with it and tried to give it to me but I didn’t see a use for it either lol.

matthew12

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
macOS still natively supports iPods all the way back to the original 2001 iPod with firewire. Methinks maybe there's some iPod enthusiasts on the software team still :)

I honestly don't doubt that, considering how long-tenured some of the people who work at Apple have been there for. Especially more upper-management.

I wouldn't mind a new iPod Shuffle with Wi-Fi that would pair to your phone like a Watch. You'd have to set up the Wifi from your phone for it, but that would be cool for people who go to the gym and wanna listen to either Apple Music or Spotify with their phone still in their locker. You can kinda do it with your Watch already, but that's not as simplistic as a new Shuffle.

Steve01234

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2014
This bug fix is FAR more likely due to a related bug being fixed with removable media not mounting consistently. I imagine they are going through odd corners of code right now to get rid of any intel dependencies that require rosetta2 to run. in updating that code for m1 a pretty low level code bug got fixed that also fixed this.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Why would anyone still own one of these? They were horrible to start with no screen
The lack of screen was not a problem if you were just listening to the music. The portability was the key feature. These were cheap, tiny, lightweight, and durable. You could use them while doing any activity. The later models included built-in clips that would attach to your clothes. Great if you were running, hiking, skiing or similar. They didn't hold so much music that the lack of screen really mattered. You just loaded them up with something to listen to now and then let it play either in sequence or random shuffle.

No, I don't still use mine. I don't have that particular need anymore but in the day they were fantastic devices.

• Love
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
As @johnmarki said it was the iPod nano (which had a screen).
The shuffle would be a very poor watch since there was no screen. :D
Oh yeah - the nano! Duh. Shuffle definitely would have been an even dumber watch concept. Haha.
Nano_Band.png

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Also the resale value still was higher than other MP3 players, so when Apple introduced a new model I would sell the previous model to help soften the financial blow. :cool:

ouruniverse06131986

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2021
Believe it or not if you have an iPhone 4 you could still update to that latest version of iPhone 4. Still signed for iPhone 4 iOS. Don’t believe me look it up I’m serious.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Having bought a mini and 5.5grn iPod both upgraded with micro sd and on upgraded to large battery with Bluetooth. APPLE PLEASE RELEASE LIMITED EDITION IPOD WOTH BLUETOOTH!!!! I will do buy it at $500.

• Love
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

jid963

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Why would anyone still own one of these? They were horrible to start with no screen
Funny enough I still use mine everyday. Completely understand how niche it is, but for me I take it on my daily run/bike ride. Perfect size and portability and I just load it up every other week with podcasts.

I have a watch and could stream to my AirPods but when I'm working out I prefer having the buttons and can abuse it without concern. Battery is a champ even after a decade.

Understandably not for everyone, but really fits my needs well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.