Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

old_printer

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2024
What is the latest version of clang we've successfully built on macports so far?

Edit: on powerpc

Last edited:

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
What is the latest version of clang we've successfully built on macports so far?

You mean on ppc? There is no point to build any, they do not work. There is no general advantage either even if they did work: in many cases older systems with gcc perform better than < 10.9 with clangs (if not later).

LLVM and libc++ could be more sensible, but for both the best we got at the moment is 7.x.

Reactions: old_printer

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021

Edit: on powerpc

To the question itself: I think Ken has built clang-5.0 on 10.5 back then (and concluded it is useless), and the latest which is buildable is arguably Iain’s 7.1.1, but he also says in REAME of the repo that it produces wrong code for PPC.

With this in mind, I never bothered to build these: it will take effort to sort the build out, and in result you get ABI-inconsistent compiler which is unusable, at the very best :)

Iain planned to release llvm-11 with his fixes (maybe clang-11 too, I do not remember exactly), so if that happens, maybe something of utility will be there. This is not something I am ready to deal with on my own.

What can be potentially useful – but gonna require a lot of testing – is switching to libc++ on PowerPC. It will not work out of the box now, but if anyone wants to experiment, you will need the following:
1. Install libcxx-powerpc port. This corresponds to libc++ from llvm-7 with some improvements. So it is pretty old, though it is newer than what Macports installs on 10.6.8 Intel now.
2. Install https://github.com/barracuda156/macports-ports-powerpc/tree/Snow-PowerPC/lang/gcc-powerpc
Or gcc12, but modify stdlib_flag variant to use libcxx-powerpc headers.
Do not use gcc13, including that from my repo, it will not work now with libc++ (it does not work on Intel either due to a bug in gcc13, which has been fixed since then, but not in Macports).
If you use gcc-powerpc, update Macports base to https://github.com/barracuda156/macports-base-10A190/tree/gcc-powerpc
And pick fixed portgoups from https://github.com/barracuda156/macports-ports-powerpc/tree/gcc_move
3. Modify macports.conf to use libc++.
4. Either make sure to pass flags to link to libc++ and libc++abi where libcxx-powerpc installs them (see portfile) or move those to /opt/local/lib or /usr/lib (make sure you understand what you are doing here).
5. Have fun, you are the first person on the planet to use libc++ on macOS PowerPC :)
(Well, I did verify it can work in a simple isolated case, but AFAIK nobody tried to switch to libc++ for the port-tree as such.)

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Does anyone happen to have a working Macports for ppc64 at the moment? I need to test something. At least gcc7 is required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.