MacPro4,1 and bluetooth appears to be dying.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PinkyMacGodess, Mar 14, 2016.

1. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I've got a MacPro4,1, and in the past month or so the Bluetooth seems to be having issues.

They started with what I can only describe as 'graininess' when moving the mouse. Like it's on cobblestones or something. Sometimes it slightly jerks across the screen, and lags a little. I've turned the speed up, and it's not helped. Then it will occasionally lose connection. I swapped mice, and the 'graininess' has continued somewhat, and the connection dropped once already this morning. Thought it might be battery level, but it's at 100%, so far.

So the big question: Is the Bluetooth module replaceable in this model of MacPro?

It almost has to be the Bluetooth module as nothing else has changed. The MacPro sits directly under the mouse pad too. Nothing in the way but the desktop.

I'm sad to think that it might be near death. This is my number one system.

Thanks for any assistance...

2. Machines macrumors 6502

Machines

If you have your mousepad on top of your Mac Pro 4,1 , please be aware this is near the PSU . This sounds more like an EMI issue . I would reposition your mousepad to the side of the Mac .

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

My Mac Pro came with the wrong antenna attached to the Bluetooth module.

A lot of models came with the antenna cables mislabeled, so check that out.

4. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

How would I know? Is there a graphic that shows where everything is? I've heard that the antennae are in hard to reach places in typical fashion.

I'll try to find out somehow...
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2016 ---
    But it's just started doing this fairly recently, making me believe that it's a module problem. Usually when the battery goes weak, I get disco's, but not when the battery says over like 10%.

5. Machines, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016

Machines macrumors 6502

Machines

Have you tried using another wireless mouse ? it could be your current mouse is dying .

6. PinkyMacGodess, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016

PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Yep. First thing I did. It's lagging too. Discoed pretty quickly after the swap. Hasn't done it since, but it kinda moves across the screen like its got Parkinsons...

Most distressing. I love this machine...
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2016 ---
    I've seen people using these cards, BCM94360CD. Do they work? What else were they used in.

Thanks...

7. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I tried one of those cards and it's wifi and BT showed up as working in the about specs on my 2009 Mac Pro but I couldn't get my Apple wireless KB or mouse connect. I'm not sure if I tried a device disconnect/connect though. I still have the card so I'll probably give it another go as my Magic Mouse still disconnects/reconnects a lot. It was kind of a pain for me to install because of the very small connectors. You need bright, directed lighting and in my case strong reading glasses.

Right now I'm using an external antenna and cable that connects to the original Apple BT card. I also have a Broadcom BT USB dongle. You'll need to download Apple's Bluetooth Explorer utility so you can switch to it. To get that Apple BT utility you need to register as a hardware developer with Apple which is easy to do. These are both inexpensive solutions.

There are threads about all of this if you do some searching on MR.

8. Machines macrumors 6502

Machines

The Bcm94360cd card requires a special form factor adapter with a power cable connection to connect it's BT to the factory's motherboard BT power connector . It also requires a BT antenna extension cable to attach to the chassis' BT antenna .

macpro2010_1.jpg

9. DPUser macrumors 6502a

You can just disconnect the internal Bluetooth receiver and use a USB Bluetooth dongle. I did this several years ago on my Studio Mac Pro that resides remotely from my monitors and keyboard. With the dongle immediately adjacent to my wireless mouse, reception is never an issue.

http://oliverwolfson.com/apple-mac-pro-bluetooth-issue-solved

10. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Wow. First I've heard about a power cable. I have thought about buying a 4,1 or maybe 5,1 and use it for parts, but what are the chances that the part that is failing in mine has already failed in a used one. Hmm...