Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MisterBiro

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
Orange, CA
About the CPU tray molex connector, I don't think that is correct. My dual 4,1 B08 with logic board build date 20100626 only has the pads on the tray and my 4,1 single with build date 20091209 don’t have the connector soldered too.

Btw, my B08 isn’t a refurb one.
@tsialex FWIW, in case it's helpful... I have a 2009 I picked up a few weeks ago that has both connectors soldered to the tray.

Reactions: tsialex

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I'm running the 138 bootrom, High Sierra 10.13.6, and Windows 10 education (enterprise) on a separate drive. Updating the bootrom did not change any of the boot behavior - I can reboot to windows/reboot to MacOS without any problems. I'm running a 2009 4,1->5,1.

Caveat: My high Sierra drive is HFS+, and my Windows 10 installation is in legacy mode (installed from a DVD). Like you've seen, when I had HS installed on APFS I could not reboot to MacOS from the boot camp control panel (had to soft reboot and rely on the default startup disk settings). When I had Win10 installed in EFI mode (installed from a USB flash drive), I could not reboot from MacOS into Win10 starting with the 89 firmware - MacOS wasn't choosing the right EFI partition to boot into. I haven't tested Win10 EFI with the 138 firmware.

H98 says his Win10 EFI installation works perfectly fine though, so your mileage may vary.

My UEFI Windows 10 itself work fine, but CANNOT be selected as boot drive in macOS system preference -> Startup disk. That's a known issue of macOS, not Windows 10.

Anyway, I simply use terminal command to bless the Windows EFI partition, so that I can switch between Windows and MacOS.

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Thanks, so you ran the beta installer and did the firmware and booted back into High Sierra?

I'm also running M.2 but AHCI.

I had updated the ROM to 0089 with the full 10.13.6 installer, and sent that ROM to tsialex; he told me there was garbage left over in my ROM so he cleaned it up and sent back a clean 138 ROM.

itadampf

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2016
Europe
Hi everybody, I know I am OT here, but can somebody point me to where I can find the procedure to mod my 138 bootrom so that I can boot from a Lycom DT-120 with an 970 evo on High Sierra / Mojave?

I am on a 4.1->5.1, high sierra 10.13.6, and will get soon a Sapphire Pulse RX 580
I will install the Lycom DT-120 in slot 3 or 4 to use the built in PCIe switch (so that it will negotiate PCIe 2.0 x4).

Somehow I got lost while searching for the current "accepted" procedure to patch for the bootrom :(

I know I could ask e.g. @tsialex to help me but I don't want to use his precious time and I have no problem editing hex and stuff.

tia,
blo

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
@tsialex FWIW, in case it's helpful... I have a 2009 I picked up a few weeks ago that has both connectors soldered to the tray.

Could you please post pictures of the connectors on your board. I'd like to see it.
[doublepost=1535669640][/doublepost]
Hi everybody, I know I am OT here, but can somebody point me to where I can find the procedure to mod my 138 bootrom so that I can boot from a Lycom DT-120 with an 970 evo on High Sierra / Mojave?

I am on a 4.1->5.1, high sierra 10.13.6, and will get soon a Sapphire Pulse RX 580
I will install the Lycom DT-120 in slot 3 or 4 to use the built in PCIe switch (so that it will negotiate PCIe 2.0 x4).

Somehow I got lost while searching for the current "accepted" procedure to patch for the bootrom :(

I know I could ask e.g. @tsialex to help me but I don't want to use his precious time and I have no problem editing hex and stuff.

tia,
blo
Read the @handheldgames GoogleDocs https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WNkM9LuGPq1sArO9EedWBHYq14NU7m-mDBLAWWJipyM/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Reactions: itadampf

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
I've read this thread through and have been watching for some time now and I have to say. WOW. What a fantastic job [URL='https://forums.macrumors.com/members/tsialex.1033365/']tsialex and everyone else has done! I'd also like to chip in for the research if I can. :D[/URL]

I have a 1,1>2,1 and a 5,1 so I will try and get you a rom dump of the 1,1>2,1. Will have to look at the notes on how to do this...

2nd question is, is this safe to do? I have a MP51.0089.B00. I'd be doing the firmware upgrade from the Public Beta. I first need to get a metal GPU. Do I need a Rom Dump of my 5,1 as a backup just to be safe?

Screen_Shot_2018-08-29_at_8.08.39_pm.png

tsialex, could you confirm this?

Thanks

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
Always have a backup of your BootROM. Use ROMTool.zip do to it. You never know what surprise Apple will bring to your Mac Pro with a new BootROM.

Mojave 138.0.0.0.0 seems safe, microcodes are updated to the current Intel ones and no report of problems that I know.

Wonderful!

Do you still need 1,1 BootRom's?

AND

Instructions:

• First disable SIP. Boot the Recovery partition, go to the menu Utilities and open Terminal, run "csrutil disable", reboot.
  • Decompress, right click to open ROMDump/ROMToolv2.0, open it, then save your BootROM dump.
  • Compress the dump (go to Finder, right click the dump, compress) and send to me via PM.
  • You can re-enable SIP now. Boot the Recovery partition, open Terminal, run "csrutil enable", reboot.

Do you need to disable SIP on Mavericks (cMP on 2,1)?

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Wonderful!

Do you still need 1,1 BootRom's?

AND

Do you need to disable SIP on Mavericks (cMP on 2,1)?
Mavericks don’t have SIP. Yes, please send your compressed dump to me by PM, thx!
[doublepost=1535692907][/doublepost]
I have it on (very) good authority that we're never getting official FileVault on cMP using non EFI boot screen GPUs.
That’s my bet, but I would love to be wrong.
[doublepost=1535693163][/doublepost]
Thx a lot!

I thought that the left pad one used Molex connector like LITTLE FRANK, now we know that’s both use the same connector as BIG FRANK.

Last edited:
Reactions: handheldgames

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
That sucks! I need FileVault due to my development work.

Guess in time I'll switch to Linux.
You can't use a EFI card? Seems a lot more reasonable to just buy a PC one like eVGA GTX680 and flash it than migrate to Linux.

MoerBoer

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2018
You can't use a EFI card? Seems a lot more reasonable to just buy a PC one like eVGA GTX680 and flash it than migrate to Linux.

It's such a gamble trying to get stuff from eBay to my country ( South Africa ), due to poor local postal service. I was willing to drop some cash on a new RX 560, but that seems pointless now.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
It's such a gamble trying to get stuff from eBay to my country ( South Africa ), due to poor local postal service. I was willing to drop some cash on a new RX 560, but that seems pointless now.

I'm more or less in the same boat, Brazil. I've found my eVGAs locally, costlier than eBay prices but nothing exorbitant.

JoshCalvetti

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Are you absolutely positive your friend's macOS install isn't on an APFS-formatted volume? Because the symptom you describe (inability to get back to macOS from Windows) is exactly what happens when the macOS install is APFS. So check that first. If it is indeed APFS, you can jump through hoops to convert it back to HFS+ (though that will not work if you upgrade to Mojave). Or you can leave it on APFS and use the Boot Picker (hold option when you hear the boot chime and choose the macOS install there). There are a couple of other workarounds too.

If you're positive it is formatted HFS+ then maybe try zapping PRAM on his system.

It's definitely an HFS system, I installed the whole setup from scratch. I had a hell of a time getting windows to actually stick on this build for some reason, I actually wound up installing 7 first via bootcamp utility and then upgrading to 10 from there, still with a DVD. Maybe that's part of the problem. I've zapped PRAM a billion times and that does reset it into Mac (as it should), but whenever I switch to Windows via System Preferences it gets stuck. It's like the boot camp control panel can't bless the mac disk from Windows. But hey, that's probably an issue for a new thread at this point, glad to hear I'm probably safe to update mine later this fall.

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
What? I'm not going to use APFS until it has full Windows 7 support so I can switch from Windows to macOS directly. So flashed cards got yet another benefit.

misanthrophy

Suspended
Aug 16, 2018
So after reading over 700 posts I still have a few questions. Right now I am using a cMP 4.1 >5.1 on High Sierra with the latest Firmware installed and NVMe enabled to boot into my only ssd/harddrive installed for macOS. I have a NVIDIA GTX TITAN X Mac Edition installed.

Everything works fine.

So here my questions:
1. I would not loose the boot manager if I update to the 138 version, right?
2. Because I want to stay on 10.13 for now how do I make sure, I can boot from my NVMe SSD?
3. A few people said, NVMe needs to get injected under 10.13, but I am already there, so nothing to do there?
4. Do I even really "need" to update the Firmware at the moment?
5. Is there a real advantage for me? (my tasks are Adobe CC/photo editing, a bit FCPX and video decoding with Handbreak)

Thanks in advance for all your help!

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
So here my questions:
Thanks in advance for all your help!

1. I would not loose the boot manager if I update to the 138 version, right? YES
2. Because I want to stay on 10.13 for now how do I make sure, I can boot from my NVMe SSD? YES
3. A few people said, NVMe needs to get injected under 10.13, but I am already there, so nothing to do there? For boot support, it needs to be added to Firmware
4. Do I even really "need" to update the Firmware at the moment? It's advisable. It fixes microcode and 5.0GT/s on PCIe slots
5. Is there a real advantage for me? (my tasks are Adobe CC/photo editing, a bit FCPX and video decoding with Handbreak). Probably

Reactions: TheStork
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.