Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
@tsialex did it again!

Now my macpro has a repaired 138 rom with nvme patch and iMessage is working again, after two years of “vacation”.

Thumbs up to Alexandre, he’s then man!

Your SON (System/Sales Order Number) was the most weird I found yet, period.

I'd really like to know how MB871LL/A changed to 000310348281?!?!

Edit: maybe this 12 numerical digit format is related to BTO ones. More data is needed to confirm or disprove that.

Last edited:

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK

interesting you mention this

because I have seen a few PowerPC systems where on the sticker where the specs are normally listed there is a long number string starting with SO....

(seen here on one of my own Dual 1.42Ghz MDDs, I got this MDD with another 1.42 MDD which has the specs listed as per normal in this location)

upload_2018-9-1_18-23-28.png

Reactions: tsialex

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Yes, you can do that. But if you had any trouble with iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime or strange boot delays, do not do it. Compress your dump and PM me it, I'll check if you have any corruption in the firmware.

I checked 26 BootROM dumps so far, 11 of them had problems.

That would make an interesting post in Apple's bug reporter. How many of the ROMS had 0087 installed along the way?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
interesting you mention this

because I have seen a few PowerPC systems where on the sticker where the specs are normally listed there is a long number string starting with SO....

(seen here on one of my own Dual 1.42Ghz MDDs, I got this MDD with another 1.42 MDD which has the specs listed as per normal in this location)

View attachment 779090
Wow, weird one.

With @itadampf dump, the SON was bigger than the usual pre-defined space for the variable.

First one I saw with only numbers in a format different than 123-1234 for System Order Number, can be alphanumerical too when the SO is a Sales Order Number.

Edit: maybe this 12 numerical digit format is related to BTO ones. More data is needed to confirm or disprove that.

Last edited:

itadampf

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2016
Europe
My macpro was definitely a bto, and maybe was even replaced with a refurbished one as I had massive problem with apple raid card, could that be the reason?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
My macpro was definitely a bto, and maybe was even replaced with a refurbished one as I had massive problem with apple raid card, could that be the reason?
BTO ones has a format like 123-45678 or a alphanumerical with 9 digits. Your weird one had 12 numerical digits, 3 digits bigger than the usual defined space.

Maybe got corrupted when flashed by the repair centre. Did your iMessage stopped before or after repairs? Same time?

[doublepost=1535824990][/doublepost]
That would make an interesting post in Apple's bug reporter. How many of the ROMS had 0087 installed along the way?
Just one MP51.0087.B00 dump, but I bet that some of the 26 Mac Pros had MP51.0087.B00 before.

Last edited:

itadampf

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2016
Europe
BTO ones has a format like 123-45678 or a alphanumerical with 9 digits. Your weird one had 12 numerical digits, 3 digits bigger than the defined space.

Maybe got corrupted when flashed by the repair centre. Did your iMessage stopped before or after repairs? Same time?
[doublepost=1535824990][/doublepost]
Just one MP51.0087.B00 dump, but I bet that some of the 26 Mac Pros had MP51.0087.B00 before.

Definitely after: like 2 or 3 years ago. When I was using Yosemite/El Capitan I am sure that iMessage working

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Definitely after: like 2 or 3 years ago. When I was using Yosemite I am sure that iMessage working
Maybe it's related with the repair, Apple started checking for more and more things when hackintosh people started to find the identifiers that were used to validate the iMessage logins.

misanthrophy

Suspended
Aug 16, 2018
You can do this with only a NVMe drive, with some initial trouble. It's the process I use to reconstruct the BootROMs for everyone.

1. Dump your BootROM with ROMTool
  2. Extract the NVRAM volume with UEFITool from your BootROM and the Apple new one.
  3. Extract the LBSN_BD sector from the old one
  4. Open the old and new NVRAM volumes with a hex editor, select the Base_XX/ssn/hwc/son block from the old and overwrite the new NVRAM with that. Save the new. You created a base NVRAM volume to use with every new Apple BootROM.
  5. Open the new BootROM with UEFITool, replace the NVRAM volume with your populated one. Replace the LBSN_BD sector too. Save the reconstructed new BootROM.
  6. Inject the NVMe DXE to the reconstructed BootROM
  7. Use ROMTool to flash the new reconstructed BootROM

With the populated NVRAM volume and the LBSN_BD sector, you can reconstruct every past or future LOCKED.fd file from Apple.

I'm gonna detail this process soon, I already wrote most of it, but some things need to be streamlined. I'll will do a video to help too.

Okay, I am reading what you are writing and know the words, but I literally do not understand everything. Hahaha, sorry.

Should I just wait until you finish a HT article/video or you want to check my rom before? I can paypal you a donation to compensate your work!

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Okay, I am reading what you are writing and know the words, but I literally do not understand everything. Hahaha, sorry.

Should I just wait until you finish a HT article/video or you want to check my rom before? I can paypal you a donation to compensate your work!
I'll PM you.

Reactions: misanthrophy

tamarro

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2018

I guess this SON was not corrupted.

2010 I got me a brand new MP BTO 6-core, not refurbished.
My SON is of the same format: 12 numerical digits starting with 000310......

I have had three FW updates by Apple Installers since then:
-> 0084 -> 0089 -> 138. I do not believe that these updates corrupt my firmware. SON did not change between them.
BTW, I have never had any trouble with iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime ever.

Eventually, this is just another SON format for BTO Macs ...

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I guess this SON was not corrupted.

2010 I got me a brand new MP BTO 6-core, not refurbished.
My SON is of the same format: 12 numerical digits starting with 000310......

I have had three FW updates by Apple Installers since then:
-> 0084 -> 0089 -> 138. I do not believe that these updates corrupt my firmware. SON did not change between them.
BTW, I have never had any trouble with iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime ever.

Eventually, this is just another SON format for BTO Macs ...

It’s definitely possible. I’ve checked 31 unique Mac Pros 4,1 and 5,1 so far - Of this 31 unique ones, various were BTOs and with 3 of those the owners provided the Apple Store sales receipt email with all the data, @itadampf BTO Mac Pro was the first 12 digit one I've found.

I know it’s a small dataset to take any conclusions. I need to found more 12 digit ones with working iMessage to have any confirmation.

With @itadampf case, when I restored his SON (as System Order Number), iMessage returned from the dead after two years. So, a year before MP51.0083.B00.

Btw, if possible, I'd like to take a look on your BootROM.

Catzjes

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hello, I am trying to dump system ROM to include NVME and to post here for research by tsialex (thanks for all the hard work!!!) but I get a Kext Error: DirectHW.kext could not be loaded. The operation cannot proceed.
See screenshots, I disabled SIP in Recovery and switched the computer on with the power button pressed long enough to have the LED flash and hear the beep. What do I do wrong?

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 17.41.44.png Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 17.42.03.jpg Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 17.42.14.jpg Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 17.42.57.png

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hello, I am trying to dump system ROM to include NVME and to post here for research by tsialex (thanks for all the hard work!!!) but I get a Kext Error: DirectHW.kext could not be loaded. The operation cannot proceed.
See screenshots, I disabled SIP in Recovery and switched the computer on with the power button pressed long enough to have the LED flash and hear the beep. What do I do wrong?
Do you have any antivirus installed? AV usually blocks DirectHW.kext access.

Btw, thx! =)

Catzjes

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Do you have any antivirus installed? AV usually blocks DirectHW.kext access.

Btw, thx! =)

No AV software on cMP, only HS firewall enabled. AV was enabled on my MBP which I used to download the files but I downloaded the ROMTool direct on the cMP. Should I try to download all needed files directly on the cMP?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
No AV software on cMP, only HS firewall enabled. AV was enabled on my MBP which I used to download the files but I downloaded the ROMTool direct on the cMP. Should I try to download all needed files directly on the cMP?
Try downloading ROMTool.zip with this link.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I downloaded the file from the link directly on the cMP, Still same problem

Weird, what could be blocking DirectHW?!?
[doublepost=1535907719][/doublepost]
What's your GateKeeper setting (System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Allow apps downloaded from)? It's the only other thing that I can remember now.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Okay, i had a similar issue and cleared it by removing all instances of RomTool and associated files by using AppCleaner from the MAS.

Then I made sure SIP was disabled, then I opened RomTool v2.0 and it worked for me. Not sure if it will solve YOUR issue, but I had to remove RomTool and all associated files, then redo everything.

It's worth a shot...

Last edited:

Catzjes

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Okay, i had a similar issue and cleared it by removing all instances of RomTool and associated files by using AppCleaner for the MAS.

Then I made sure SIP was disabled, then I opened RomTool v2.0 and it worked for me. Not sure if it will solve YOUR issue, but I had to remove RomTool and all associated files, then redo everything.

It's worth a shot...

It seems to work what you propose , I now get a warning, see screenshot. What to do next?

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 19.51.48.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.